GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad Mac Creator 0.10.3 Beta

Comments

• BalzaGamesBalzaGames Posts: 23Member
    pinkio75 said:

@BalzaGames
    I think you're close to the end of your pro subscription.

Not so close, but won't renew it.
  • marc_greiffmarc_greiff Posts: 243Member, BASIC
    @DanielDoe perhaps you havent been following this thread, but there have been several fix announcements. The dev team relies on community feedback to gauge their product out in the wild.
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Posts: 1,143Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    Looks like we've found the issue with pushing binaries out to the publishing servers. Another build is being tested right now. I'm gonna shower and head in to see where things are at! :D
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Posts: 1,143Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    @BalzaGames
    I see where you're coming from. Hopefully we can change your mind before your Pro subscription runs out.

Yeah, Apple has been warning folks about this change for over a year! We knew about it.

The "fix" was implemented about 21 days ago. But it got lost in the shuffle. Then we made a build that was supposed to have the fix but accidentally forgot to include it. And, once we finally brought the fix in we found that it wasn't properly tested. Then we had to change our procedures so we could actually do a test submit to Apple. Then we had a problem with our publishing code that stopped our updates yesterday from actually getting to you.

It's been a "comedy" of errors. I'm learning more and more about how things are working here. Rest assured that we'll be taking the necessary steps to remedy this going forward. First things first, though. Let's get the UDID fix up! :)
    @CodeWizard I see, I know you guys are working hard to try to improve always more GS. Unfortunately it isn't only related to the various problem of this tool, but also that the future of the apps isn't in GameSalad. People that needs to find a job in a few years as programmer need to program with real code. That's why I am not going to further develop with this tool. I am young and I need to experience Xcode and the real code to find a job in the future. I know this isn't related to this thread, but that's my advice to everyone.
  • JSprojectJSproject Posts: 730Member

@BalzaGames
    ...I think the future of app development will come to rely on tools like GameSalad.

The reason is simple: there are more great app ideas in the world than there are skilled programmers to implement them. Great app ideas that, without tools like ours, would never see the light of day. Becoming a good programmer is hard and actually gets in the way of realizing your creative vision until you've achieved a significant level of mastery...

I fully agree! Also, I'm saying that as an ex. programmer that has spent years programming before and at university but everything progress in life and tools like GS really is the "next level" for software development for the masses. With this extra lifeforce that now has been brought to GS recently my hopes are high, keep up the great work :)
  • squirrel42squirrel42 Posts: 171Member, PRO
    @codewizard I agree 100%. Game design, like any other form of design or creativity, the tools need to get out of the way.
  • ORBZORBZ Posts: 1,303Member, PRO

@BalzaGames
    I understand and respect that position even if I don't fully agree with it. I think the future of app development will come to rely on tools like GameSalad.

The reason is simple: there are more great app ideas in the world than there are skilled programmers to implement them. Great app ideas that, without tools like ours, would never see the light of day. Becoming a good programmer is hard and actually gets in the way of realizing your creative vision until you've achieved a significant level of mastery.

Good luck with learning Xcode and whatnot. It's a fun journey!

As a pro programmer with over 20 yrs experience I agree with CodeWizard on this. The only reason I looked for a tool like GS is because I'm sick and tired of hand coding everything and I'm ready for the visual paradigm to take off. GS is the best 2D game engine, it's just hindered by a clunky UI that badly needs an overhaul. May I suggest that when you decide to do that overhaul that you include two fundamental data type improvements: #1 Add a vector data type, #2 Add an Actor data type. How handy would it be to have a behavior called "look at" and pass it the actor target?! (oh and #3, give us coders a way to write custom behaviors so that we can implement code re-use -- GS's biggest flaw IMO is that there is no way to implement decent code-reuse)
    Yeah guys, but there always need to be some people to develop these tools :P
  • DanielDoeDanielDoe Posts: 307Member

@DanielDoe perhaps you havent been following this thread, but there have been several fix announcements. The dev team relies on community feedback to gauge their product out in the wild.

I'm reading this thread from the beginning and also waiting for fix...

Unfortunately it isn't only related to the various problem of this tool, but also that the future of the apps isn't in GameSalad. People that needs to find a job in a few years as programmer need to program with real code. That's why I am not going to further develop with this tool. I am young and I need to experience Xcode and the real code to find a job in the future.

But remember that it's 21st century... Programmers are making tools, not games. Designers are making games. Even Unreal Engine has "visual scripting" for making many aspects of the game without the code... But it's your choice who you want to be.

• tatiangtatiang Posts: 11,673Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef

I think the future of app development will come to rely on tools like GameSalad.

The reason is simple: there are more great app ideas in the world than there are skilled programmers to implement them. Great app ideas that, without tools like ours, would never see the light of day. Becoming a good programmer is hard and actually gets in the way of realizing your creative vision until you've achieved a significant level of mastery

The amazing thing is that GameSalad continues to narrow the gap between "fun tool" and "hardcore programming environment." Each update brings the user base that much closer to having no reason to look elsewhere for app feature implementations. It's fair to say there are good reasons for using alternative tools (e.g. multiplayer support) but again, given time GameSalad will be very close to if not identical to what can be done with straight coding. And that's exciting!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• BBEnkBBEnk Posts: 1,764Member

Yeah guys, but there always need to be some people to develop these tools :P

Don't be so sure "Robots making Robots".

• EbreezeEbreeze Posts: 481Member, PRO
    Any status on the UDiD error fix?
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Posts: 2,250Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    QA is looking at the fix hope to update you guys soon.
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Posts: 2,250Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    edited May 2013
    We have push a binary fix for the UDID issues please republish your apps to take advantage of the fix.
    Thank you for your patience.
  • SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Posts: 754Member
    @BlackCloakGS Testing now. :)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef

We have push a binary fix for the UDID issues please republish your apps to take advantage of the fix.
    Thank you for your patience.

fantastic.
    edited May 2013
    Does it work with 0.10.1 (low ram usage) version?
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
    ORBZ said:

@BalzaGames
    I understand and respect that position even if I don't fully agree with it. I think the future of app development will come to rely on tools like GameSalad.

The reason is simple: there are more great app ideas in the world than there are skilled programmers to implement them. Great app ideas that, without tools like ours, would never see the light of day. Becoming a good programmer is hard and actually gets in the way of realizing your creative vision until you've achieved a significant level of mastery.

Good luck with learning Xcode and whatnot. It's a fun journey!

As a pro programmer with over 20 yrs experience I agree with CodeWizard on this. The only reason I looked for a tool like GS is because I'm sick and tired of hand coding everything and I'm ready for the visual paradigm to take off. GS is the best 2D game engine, it's just hindered by a clunky UI that badly needs an overhaul. May I suggest that when you decide to do that overhaul that you include two fundamental data type improvements: #1 Add a vector data type, #2 Add an Actor data type. How handy would it be to have a behavior called "look at" and pass it the actor target?! (oh and #3, give us coders a way to write custom behaviors so that we can implement code re-use -- GS's biggest flaw IMO is that there is no way to implement decent code-reuse)
    yea, the ability to manage custom behaviors across projects would be a godsend. i think that if you create a custom behavior, any custom attributes that are necessary for it to function should also become 'custom permanent' attributes. as long as the custom behavior exists, all future projects should automatically start with the custom attributes.
  • EbreezeEbreeze Posts: 481Member, PRO
    Excellent will test now
    @DanielDoe this is for 0.10.3 or later
    edited May 2013
    @BlackCloakGS It may just be me but it is taking 5x's longer to send to iTC. It has been on "Verifying assets with the iTunes Store" for 7 minutes now... Edit: Nevermind, its sending now. :)
    Congratulations @CodeWizard , @BlackCloakGS and @SaladStraightShooter ! It worked. I successfully submitted an app to the App Store for review. You can relax now. You earned it. :) Have a nice cup of tea: ~O) =D>
  • squirrel42squirrel42 Posts: 171Member, PRO
    @BlackCloakGS And what about 0.10.1 users, is a fix for this version on the way?
    @squirrel42
    We're starting some internal conversations about if we can release new binaries for 0.10.1 with those fixes. More news soon.
  • pinkio75pinkio75 Posts: 775Member, PRO
    oyeah thanks! it worked! many thanks and congratulations @CodeWizard , @BlackCloakGS and @SaladStraightShooter !
  • JanobeJanobe Posts: 46Member, PRO
    Greattttt !!! Our new app submitted and "waiting for review"
    Thank you very much! =D>
  • clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caPosts: 194Member
    Fantastic! I look forward to publishing mine this evening! Thanks GameSalad team, for your efforts. Really love this forum and being kept up to date like this!

Cheers!