GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game File Randomly Disappeared when Saving

JacksonMLJacksonML Posts: 5Member
I was working for about an hour last night on a new game. First off I am using GameSalad for Windows version 0.10.00 Basic License. So I was very consistant on saving the game because what happened to some of my other files (not necesarily in gamesalad but other programs crashing). I went to save, and the saving window popped up. Its normally up for a split second, but this time it just kept going. The disk didn't show any activity, neither did my CPU. I left it up overnight with the saving window and its still there this morning. Am I going to need to restart the entire game? The folder is still there its just the File.gsproj file is missing (Its not called File though). I have all the folders and files except gsproj. Can anyone help me or respond to what they think? Thanks in advance.

Comments

  • JacksonMLJacksonML Posts: 5Member
    Just to add I tried to recover the file using Piriform Recuvva and it did not find the .gsprog. :(
  • tatiangtatiang Posts: 11,791Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef
    I'm not sure how/if you can recover the file, but it's a good idea to save frequently not only to the file you've started working on but also to separate files (e.g. game v1, game v2, game v3, etc.).

    New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

  • JacksonMLJacksonML Posts: 5Member
    tatiang said:

    I'm not sure how/if you can recover the file, but it's a good idea to save frequently not only to the file you've started working on but also to separate files (e.g. game v1, game v2, game v3, etc.).

    Alright. I do have a .zip of the file that I can get a basis off, but its gonna take some time to get back. I can reload the .zip of the file right?

  • tatiangtatiang Posts: 11,791Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef
    edited May 2013
    If you have a .zip file, you can uncompress it and it should work fine.

    Oh wait, do you mean that you published the app as an .ipa and then zipped it? In that case, you can't really reconstruct the project file for use in Creator. I'd recommend contacting Support to see if they can help.

    New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

  • atxryanatxryan Posts: 117Member, Microsoft Team
    If the only thing truly missing was the .gsproj file, you can just create a new one. Right click in your project folder and add a new text document. Rename it to your File.gsproj or whichever name you prefer.
  • JacksonMLJacksonML Posts: 5Member
    tatiang said:

    If you have a .zip file, you can uncompress it and it should work fine.

    Oh wait, do you mean that you published the app as an .ipa and then zipped it? In that case, you can't really reconstruct the project file for use in Creator. I'd recommend contacting Support to see if they can help.

    I have a .zip but its old so I wouldn't be getting all of it back
  • JacksonMLJacksonML Posts: 5Member
    atxryan said:

    If the only thing truly missing was the .gsproj file, you can just create a new one. Right click in your project folder and add a new text document. Rename it to your File.gsproj or whichever name you prefer.

    Oh my gosh thank you so much! You saved me about half an hour of work (limited schedule that I can work on)
  • JacksonMLJacksonML Posts: 5Member
    Wait scratch that. I can get the file working but I can't save the game. If I try to save(as) it gets stuck on that screen.
  • tatiangtatiang Posts: 11,791Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef
    edited May 2013
    @JacksonML You may have a corrupted project file or there may be something wrong with Creator. If you start a new blank project file and try to save it, does it let you?

    What version of Windows are you running?

    The way to avoid corrupt file issues is to save more frequently to a separate file so that you have multiple copies and can "restore" to a very recent version. My latest game has several hundred separate project files (game v1, game v2, game v3, etc.). Call me crazy but I've never lost any work since I've started that system!

    New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

This discussion has been closed.