GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing Graphene SDK...

11718192123

Comments

  • ValanValan Posts: 405Member

    @pHghost said:
    That's ultimate bollocks. The best way to really test an engine is to start an actual project, which will better reveal real use-case problems. Just the fact that you are getting sort of a leg up is simply what you get for providing needed feedback.

    For me this is the best way to evaluate a product, definitely. But testing needs additional processes.

    Testing involves creative ways to break the build.

    If the GS Devs build castle Graphene then it is the testers job to try to knock it down. I've seen good testers making life miserable for programmers in, semi, light-hearted battles. Ultimately the programmer should win, but all software ships with bugs.

  • Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Posts: 2,343Member
    edited April 2015

    Heck just let my 2 year old have a go at it. I swear he finds more bugs in my games by accident by just running his hand all over the screen than I can. Lol

  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaPosts: 1,390Member

    @Thunder_Child said:
    Heck just let my 2 year old have a go at it. I swear he finds more bugs in my games by accident by just running his hand all over the screen than I can. Lol

    Two year olds naturally have psychic powers and uncanny perception. See if GS will hire him to help out. :)

  • SummationSummation Posts: 476Member, PRO

    @CodeWizard said:

    Throws this in CodeWizard's general direction, then runs away

  • LovejoyLovejoy Posts: 2,078Member

    @Summation said:

    I just got done watching the whole video...

    Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Posts: 1,143Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee

    @Summation said:

    Finally some music I can code to! REPEAT!

  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Posts: 5,685Member

    Watched it twice :)

  • SummationSummation Posts: 476Member, PRO

    @CodeWizard said:
    Finally some music I can code to! REPEAT!

    Outstanding! :D

  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaPosts: 1,390Member

    @Lovejoy said:
    I just got done watching the whole video...

    I'm up to 5 minutes in... does it get any better, or just repeat and repeat?

    @CodeWizard said:
    Finally some music I can code to!

    You'll get stuck in an endless loop.

    I'm 10 minutes into it now. Same old same. :#

    If this was an app... it would be deleted by now. :D

  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Posts: 5,685Member

    So any ideas on cost guys? Wondering if it will be something like $499 a year?

  • SummationSummation Posts: 476Member, PRO

    @DeepBlueApps said:
    So any ideas on cost guys? Wondering if it will be something like $499 a year?

    How about when it comes out, the first year subscription is free to current PRO members (if you are PRO by a certain date)?

    Could be an effective promotion.

  • sulexk@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 21Member, PRO

    Is Graphene based on a 3d engine?

  • Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Posts: 2,343Member

    I still have suspicious feelings that the creator will not even be needed after the release of Graphene. If they release a product that will do the exact same thing...why would they continue putting resources into an older product.

    My spidey senses say there will be a promo of some sort...probably Amazon...free pro version for three months.

    Will still be a free version. Maybe will not allow scripts (3rd party) without pro. The whole ads thing as well like now.

    Of course we all just speculating. Fun to do so.

  • mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Posts: 634Member

    @Summation, that would be enticing to existing users. Let's hope the team considers this.

  • scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaPosts: 694Member, PRO

    @[email protected].com said:
    Is Graphene based on a 3d engine?

    It could be a.3d engine with a good plugin.

  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,909Member

    @Thunder_Child said:
    I still have suspicious feelings that the creator will not even be needed after the release of Graphene. If they release a product that will do the exact same thing...why would they continue putting resources into an older product.

    My spidey senses say there will be a promo of some sort...probably Amazon...free pro version for three months.

    Will still be a free version. Maybe will not allow scripts (3rd party) without pro. The whole ads thing as well like now.

    Of course we all just speculating. Fun to do so.

    They are keeping creator. Main reason is so people can update games. I don't think you'll see creator phased out for quite sometime.

  • francis.charland@videotron.ca[email protected] 3D Artist/Generalist Quebec, CanadaPosts: 48Member, PRO

    GS Creator has a big user community and a lot of tutorials and templates available. It would be strategically a nonsense (business wise) to stop supporting this product even if it's potential is limited to a more narrowed audience.
    Graphene will surely be a more effective, attractive and up to date piece of software that will allow the developers and the community to code add-on that will open a lot of possibilities to stay competitive within the gaming standards.
    The GameSalad team is filled with very professional person with a lot of experience that will deliver a top of the line product (no doubt about that) if business wise the company as the backbone to sustain it long enough to get it's place in the main 2d engine used out there.
    Great work GS Team. We'll be ready for Graphene :-P

  • scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaPosts: 694Member, PRO

    I saw this icon in a Gamesalad tutorial.

  • MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Posts: 1,276Member

    That´s a pretty awesome icon!

    Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaPosts: 1,390Member

    @[email protected].com said:
    Is Graphene based on a 3d engine?

    No. It was explained a couple of Meetups ago that it will be a 2.5d engine. It may have been January or February. Listen to the replays. But I'm still not sure exactly what 2.5d that means.

  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaPosts: 1,390Member
    edited April 2015

    @Summation said:
    How about when it comes out, the first year subscription is free to current PRO members (if you are PRO by a certain date)?
    Could be an effective promotion.

    Good idea, seeing that I just renewed! :D

  • scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaPosts: 694Member, PRO

    @PhilipCC said:
    No. It was explained a couple of Meetups ago that it will be a 2.5d engine. It may have been January or February. Listen to the replays. But I'm still not sure exactly what 2.5d that means.

    Gamesalad said in the latest meetup that 3d would come later with a plugin.

    2.5D Oh Boy! I recommend
    2:30 it makes fun of sonic while explaining 2.5D

  • Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Posts: 2,343Member

    @PhilipCC said:
    No. It was explained a couple of Meetups ago that it will be a 2.5d engine. It may have been January or February. Listen to the replays. But I'm still not sure exactly what 2.5d that means.

    I always think of 2.5 to be like the old Command and Conquer games..or like Blizzards games...except with Graphene I wonder/doubt you can rotate your view. You may still be using models. (I hope).

  • stevejstevej Posts: 435Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee

    @Thunder_Child said:
    I always think of 2.5 to be like the old Command and Conquer games..or like Blizzards games...except with Graphene I wonder/doubt you can rotate your view. You may still be using models. (I hope).

    Also see the recently released Pillars of Eternity. 2.5d basically is when objects in the game move on a 2d plane (so your objects still only have x and y coordinates), but due to perspective tricks it appears they're moving in 3d.

  • LovejoyLovejoy Posts: 2,078Member

    The first game ill be making with Graphene hands down.

    Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Posts: 5,685Member
    edited April 2015

    @Lovejoy said:
    The first game ill be making with Graphene hands down.

    Have you actually made any games? please post me some links so i can have a look if so because i know I'm getting old and my memory is going but i can't ever remember seeing anything from you.

  • LovejoyLovejoy Posts: 2,078Member

    @DeepBlueApps said:
    Have you actually made any games? please post me some links so i can have a look if
    so because i know I'm getting old and my memory is going but i can't ever remember
    seeing anything from you.

    When i have something i will personally PM you the link my friend. A promo code if its paid.

    Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Posts: 5,685Member

    Thanks look forward to your 1st game :)

  • safransafran Posts: 32Member

    I just realized that even the simplest of games can benefit to 2.5d.
    In this game of mine, the ships are not properly aligned. I'm still looking some ways to fix this.

Sign In or Register to comment.