GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of GameSalad on 6/30/2015...

Comments

• TobyToby Posts: 478Member

@Armelline said:
    I don't think anyone is being particularly sensitive, you're just being very condescending. Again.

I'll take the high road...

Yes you've seen through my cunning master plan .... again. Suggest changing your user name to Columbo?

• DaveinpublicDaveinpublic Posts: 37Member

@Socks said:

Hey @Socks, did you know Unity has a free version? You can publish to iOS and android and the web etc, and there's no limitations except for a splash screen that lasts a few seconds and is pretty minimalist.

You can pay the amounts you mentioned, but that is for extra features. Not saying it's best for everyone, just saying there is a free version and it doesn't cost the $75 a month like you mentioned earlier.

• DaveinpublicDaveinpublic Posts: 37Member

I understand the decision to eliminate the free version, but it may be useful to have a tutorial version that is stripped down, doesn't publish, but intentionally and clearly labeled tutorial version or something. Then you'll continue to get the customers who are complete newbs and that take a long time to learn the basics.

• RainbrosRainbros Posts: 124Member

It is very concerning to me that Graphene is being put on hold. After having used GameSalad for over 4 years, I have certainly appreciated the tool for what it is, but am now just really discouraged that none of the features that I would consider necessities for a tool such as this - custom font, polygon collision, or even just getting rid of the annoying little loading rectangle - have even been attempted. I do realize all the great progress @CodeWizard and others have made, but I still feel like GameSalad needs to get its priorities straight.

From what I understand, these bigger features are not easy to implement in GameSalad due to the poorly constructed codebase; that is why they decided to build Graphene from scratch. But if GameSalad is rather hopeless in this respect, why the heck aren't they pouring all possible resources into the new tool, and simply getting GameSalad into a stable (like, actually stable) state so that people can use it reliably until Graphene comes out? It seems like such a waste to put all this time and effort into GameSalad when most of the users are just going to migrate to Graphene as soon as possible anyway. If Graphene is truly going to be all that it is supposed to be, then it will be an amazing tool - possibly the best one available - and users new and old will flock to it. Gamesalad would not have to worry about staying alive if they would just get a professional tool out there. I'm not suggesting that GameSalad be completely abandoned, since people do have plenty of games made with it and Graphene won't be compatible. But can we at least get Graphene back on track? If Graphene isn't going to arrive within the next six months, I may very well switch to some other program, because I'm tired of waiting.

• HymloeHymloe Posts: 1,651Member

@Rainbros I wouldn't pin all your hopes on some new product, like Graphene. It may do 50% of things way better than Game Salad, but what about the other 50% of things that may not get done quickly, and get delayed, or get implemented but with issues that hang around and go on and on...

There's no silver bullet. And a move to Graphene could just be a repeat story of Game Salad over again.

I think that continuing to focus on Game Salad is better... to keep on pushing with it, and try to get it to a level of stability and reliability that it always should have been.

• FINNBOGGFINNBOGG Posts: 1,809Member

ok... when was it reported that graphene is now on hold? Was it stated as to why? Was it stated as to what the focus is now on? I missed this report.

• LovejoyLovejoy Posts: 2,078Member

@FINNBOGG said:
    ok... when was it reported that graphene is now on hold? Was it stated as to why? Was it stated as to what the focus is now on? I missed this report.

first page third comment

Graphene SDK is currently on hold while we work out some other stuff. But it's not dead yet. :)

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• neomanneoman Posts: 813Member

@Rainbros said:
    It is very concerning to me that Graphene is being put on hold.

Yes I am really disappointed in Graphene being put on hold. I was really looking forward to seeing the final product and what it can offer .... It sounded promising. It had the benefit of both worlds as you could use the visual editor and add your own code as well ... But at the same time the latest focus on Creator has been a breath of fresh air ...

• GnarlyGnarly canadaPosts: 840Member

there. I'm not suggesting that GameSalad be get Graphene back on track? If Graphene isn't going to arrive within the next six months, I may very well switch to some other program, because I'm tired of waiting.

They don't have resources to do both. So tough choices. I think working on GS is their best option. Get the bugs out and kill the long standing UI issues.
    GS revenue keeps the lights on.

They don't have staff to support 2 engines. I think if graphene was almost done they would push on. I'm guessing it's half done and a year away so it was shelved.

Ok I have a question about a possible future scenario. What if we woke up one morning to find that gs has sent out a letter saying that they can no longer afford to continue working on gs creator. Would they allow flat rate fee and be able to build and publish from a self contained downloadable package? No need for generating from server.

I guess my concern is. GS CREATOR is a great tool as is. So if they stopped adding features. And left it as is. You could still produce nice stuff and have fun making what you can. So would there ever be a future where it was a 1 time purchase and sled generate you app from your computer and no longer need gs servers to send you a generated file?

Really do t want to wake up and there no longer be a gs creator or better hybrid.

• FrantoFranto Posts: 779Member
    edited August 2015

Plus, working on GS might be the safest choice at the moment. It's still superior to many other programs.

Unity isn't completely "free". The playmaker add-on is actually $65, a few months worth of GS sub. It was only "free" during a promo for Unity 5. I remember Playmaker being $90 2 years ago.

Otherwise, without PM, Unity requires a LOT more work to achieve the same things that you can in GS if your specialization isn't programming. I spent about 5 hours to make an actor that moves back and forth spitting out other actors, in GS, you could do that in 2 to 15 minutes depending on your proficiency with GS!

The base program by itself, requires more actions, more work, to achieve the same things GS can do in a fraction of the time. Sure, Unity has more features and flexibility, but it's offset by the cost of time needed to achieve those things. Which equals longer development time.

GS is well suited and optimized for smartphone games, at a very affordable price, especially when compared to other programs. I searched for the list, but I couldn't find it, but I remember other similar programs that publish to the same platforms had payment models of $20 a month or a large one time payment of about $100.

And here is a quote from a programmer, to show how hectic writing anything in programming language can be:

Writing games that run on variety of computers is a pain in the ****. Unless you use GDI (and probably even then), you are going to be introduced into the Graphic Drivers Hell. I've used mostly Direct2D (and now Direct3D), and it is less than pleasant, because all the bugs DO NOT happen on your computer. So you are running around the office telling colleagues "does this crash on your PC?", and then staring at the code and analyzing what could possibly go wrong with some other computer configuration. If you go down that route, make sure you've got damn good logging system (and that you log a lot because you might have to "debug" on a PC without VS).

A lot of you say that something can be a 5 minute fix, but it isn't as simple as the visual editor of GS makes it out to be. That's like a controlled environment, since the behavior blocks ensure that the only mess ups to look for are in the parts you can change such as in the expression editor or the order you put your behaviors in.

• HopscotchHopscotch Posts: 2,782Member, PRO

@FINNBOGG said:
    So if they stopped adding features. And left it as is. You could still produce nice stuff and have fun making what you can. So would there ever be a future where it was a 1 time purchase and sled generate you app from your computer and no longer need gs servers to send you a generated file?

How long would that tool be useful? This is the mobile industry, things change every week. This is largely why GS has to shift milestones, because the specs and requirements of the industry change to quickly and we expect them to keep up with it.

BECAUSE GS is so easy, we are prone to forget, just how much time using GS really saves us with regards to cross platform compatibility, keeping up to date with the ad networks, staying compliant with the app stores.

I don't think I exaggerate with the following scenario: If you are a full time developer or hobbyist, and needed to keep abreast of all of the above yourself, it would probably require at least a month of your time per year of research, testing, changing, etc. to stay with the times.

yeah i agree. So it makes a clearer picture of just how much GS team has to deal with.

• TRowe007TRowe007 Posts: 71Member
    edited August 2015

This is BS how can you up and pull the rug out from everyones feet who has been loyal to GS for however long. Not everyone is a big time rich game designer who can afford 200 dollars a year. I'm sorry but I pushed GS on a lot of my friends and people who I knew that wanted to get into game building, because of the freedom you guys gave I told them to check you guys out. Now this I can't do that anymore, this is like a great relationship that the one you fell in love with just sleep with your best friend. This is heart breaking truly, words can't say what this has done. At less let the ones who were using GS before this decision was made be grandfathered in or something. Man this sucks!!!!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,822Member

Changes user name to 'Big Time Rich Games Designer'.

Hello everyone, I'm opening up a business and I'm looking for some employees. Currently hiring for all positions. Work hours are 9am to 5pm and Compensation will be $0/hr

Message me if interested. :trollface:

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,906Member

I'll apply but I can't work Monday,tuesday,Wensday,thursday,friday,Saturday or sunday. I am available on the leap year day.

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    I'll apply but I can't work Monday,tuesday,Wensday,thursday,friday,Saturday or sunday. I am available on the leap year day.

Almost woke up my lady and daughter from the laughter. Its 5ish am over here :D

• TRowe007TRowe007 Posts: 71Member

Yeah I see your points maybe i got a little out of hand i apologize, yesterday wasnt such i great day for and i took it out on the wrong people, im sorry. Gamesalad is a great peice of softwear it deserves the little it ask.

• derekgunnyderekgunny Posts: 1Member
    edited August 2015

:(

• happygfishhappygfish Posts: 60Member

Well I guess this is kinda good so now I can finally stop using game salad and finish learning C#

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaPosts: 1,389Member
    edited August 2015

@happygfish said:
    Well I guess this is kinda good so now I can finally stop using game salad and finish learning C#

C you and go fish. >:)

• ninjapencilsninjapencils Posts: 1Member

I am sooooo bummed about this news. As a teacher with very little resources, I've developed a curriculum for my 6th grade Art & CPU class. Now that Game Salad will be a pay for service, I'm not sure what we are going to do. Really bummed. Not sure how to let the kids know.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,116Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee

@ninjapencils said:
    I am sooooo bummed about this news. As a teacher with very little resources, I've developed a curriculum for my 6th grade Art & CPU class. Now that Game Salad will be a pay for service, I'm not sure what we are going to do. Really bummed. Not sure how to let the kids know.

GameSalad offers discounts for educators and schools. Contact GS and see what they can work out.

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXPosts: 699Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee

@ninjapencils check out http://www.gamesalad.com/education/quote -- classroom pricing is 80-90% off the retail cost.

Feel free to email me as well. Happy to help make the case to your administrator, work out alternative arrangements as needed, etc.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · [email protected]

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Posts: 5,535Member

@dgackey, Hi Dan. I was looking at that form and see 'for profit camp or social program' on there. Would it be possible to offer some sort of discount to my students on Udemy using that option?

• HymloeHymloe Posts: 1,651Member
    edited September 2015

@ninjapencils said:

If you literally don't have any budget for software... you could consider GameMaker as well. It allows for "drag and drop" style scripting (a lot like Game Salad), and has the added benefit of being able to add scripts (using a fairly simple GML scripting language), and mix and match the two techniques together.

Here's a tutorial I made for it about how to make a basic Flappy Bird clone in Game Game. It's written from the perspective of someone who's never touched GameMaker, so it's good for learning yourself, or giving to students.
    http://muzboz.com/GameMaker/

The benefit of GameMaker there is that students can also install it at home, and release games for free as an EXE installer, making it easy to just share their work with each other, or even release a finished commercial game, using that same free version of GameMaker.

• cadgamescadgames Posts: 2Member, PRO

Pretty sure this has been addressed before. Like being able to zoom in and out of the scene so you could see the entire stage. Something that the old version had before the 15 day trial was that you could see the name of the scene at the bottom, for some reason it was replaced with an ID code.
    Check out these images.