GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of GameSalad on 6/30/2015...

1202122232426»

Comments

• cadgamescadgames Posts: 2Member, PRO

Hate to double post, but I also like to add that the sound and music doesn't work when you do the web preview. It would be awesome to be able to test the sound for the web preview.

• GlooferGloofer Posts: 18Member, PRO

I'm new to Gamesalad and have just purchased the Pro plan. Not sure if this is the right place for wishes or requests, but here goes anyway =)

I have not worked with Gamesalad for long but almost immediately stumbled upon a few really (in my opinion) annoying things. So here is what I would like to see in a very near future:

1. A zoom tool. I think the ability to zoom in the scenes is essential when placing objects on the scene, it is just so much easier to work with details that way.

2. Copy and paste objects/actors within and between scenes. I am just amazed that this is not possible, but maybe there is some very good reason for that, that I'm as a beginner is not aware of? Or maybe I'm just plain stupid for not been able to figure out how to do it?

3. Paste in place in scenes would be nice if number 2 was possible.

4. Select multiple objects/actors in the scenes. Yet another one that really surprises me that it is not possible.

5. Alignment and distribution tools and some sort of smart guides. When placing several actors on the scenes these kind of tools would really help a lot.

That's about it for now =) Maybe I'm too Photoshop orientated, but without these basic tools working in Photoshop would be merely impossible. Even if it is not impossible to work in Gamesalad without these features it would be darn easier with them I think.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Posts: 1,276Member

@info3664 numbers 1, 4 and 5 have been asked for years... Who knows, maybe some day we'll actually see these features in GS.

But after you work with Gamesalad for a while, you get used to not having these features.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• GnarlyGnarly canadaPosts: 840Member

@NipaDidIt said:
    info3664 numbers 1, 4 and 5 have been asked for years... Who knows, maybe some day we'll actually see these features in GS.

But after you work with Gamesalad for a while, you get used to not having these features.

Unlikely we will see these features. Their focus is on stability (good thing). Adding improved UI features does nothing to improve profitbility.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Posts: 1,276Member
    edited September 2015

@gattoman said:

I agree. It's a good thing that they're focusing on stability right now, but that doesn't mean that those features won't be implemented someday.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• GnarlyGnarly canadaPosts: 840Member

@NipaDidIt said:
    I agree. It's a good thing that they're focusing on stability right now, but that doesn't mean that those features won't be implemented someday.

Of course it would be great but I'm a realist. If they were cheap and easy to implement they would of done it long ago. There is little return on investment for improved UI features.

My only conclusion is they desire but can't afford to make such changes.

• HymloeHymloe Posts: 1,651Member

@info3664 said:
    I'm new to Gamesalad and have just purchased the Pro plan. Not sure if this is the right place for wishes or requests, but here goes anyway =)

I have not worked with Gamesalad for long but almost immediately stumbled upon a few really (in my opinion) annoying things. So here is what I would like to see in a very near future:

1. A zoom tool. I think the ability to zoom in the scenes is essential when placing objects on the scene, it is just so much easier to work with details that way.

2. Copy and paste objects/actors within and between scenes. I am just amazed that this is not possible, but maybe there is some very good reason for that, that I'm as a beginner is not aware of? Or maybe I'm just plain stupid for not been able to figure out how to do it?

3. Paste in place in scenes would be nice if number 2 was possible.

4. Select multiple objects/actors in the scenes. Yet another one that really surprises me that it is not possible.

5. Alignment and distribution tools and some sort of smart guides. When placing several actors on the scenes these kind of tools would really help a lot.

That's about it for now =) Maybe I'm too Photoshop orientated, but without these basic tools working in Photoshop would be merely impossible. Even if it is not impossible to work in Gamesalad without these features it would be darn easier with them I think.

Great suggestions.

Great to get a good description of those initial things that seem lacking in terms of core usability.

I'm currently compiling a list of usability suggestions myself, which I'll post some time.

You can go to http://bugs.gamesalad.com/ Game Salad's bugbase, and enter a suggestion there. The way you've written it up here is perfect. Throw it in!

• You wrote "The great thing about the new system is that you simply pay for what you use. You don't pay for months you don't use, and you can't use the product for months without paying for it."
    So how does this work? Do you have to pay every month or is it one-time? And if it's one-time then does the system not charge you or something if you don't use it at all in a month?
    Also one more thing is the 15 day trial based on Basic or Pro?
    Thanks!

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKPosts: 1,893Member

@[email protected].com said:
    You wrote "The great thing about the new system is that you simply pay for what you use. You don't pay for months you don't use, and you can't use the product for months without paying for it."
    So how does this work? Do you have to pay every month or is it one-time? And if it's one-time then does the system not charge you or something if you don't use it at all in a month?
    Also one more thing is the 15 day trial based on Basic or Pro?
    Thanks!

The 15 day trial is based on Pro. After the 15 day trial has expired you can no longer use it (at all). You need to pay for Basic or Pro. You can pay for one month only when purchasing either of these. You don't need to sign up to any fixed term contract of like a year etc. If you only want to buy Basic or Pro for a month and only a month you will need to go into your account after purchasing it and turning off recurring payments otherwise your account subscription will be renewed each month, including the months you're not using it. So basically if you think you won't use it much/at all one month then be sure to log into your account and turn off the recurring payments and then switch them on when you're ready to start using GameSalad again.

• 0% happy. (i'm late). You suck at being a good CEO. I want this free trial to change to an absolute free version, alright?

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Posts: 1,009Member, PRO

@gianni.van.haecke said:
    0% happy. (i'm late). You suck at being a good CEO. I want this free trial to change to an absolute free version, alright?

Lol, how are they supposed to make money if they give everything for free? Besides, plenty of free tools out there if ya need one.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• ToqueToque Posts: 1,172Member

@gianni.van.haecke said:
    0% happy. (i'm late). You suck at being a good CEO. I want this free trial to change to an absolute free version, alright?

Took a year and half for you to respond?????? 0% punctual.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,111Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    edited January 2017

No need to revive this one old. GameSalad is doing great with the new subscription options. I'm glad they made the switch!

• baadtastebaadtaste Posts: 1Member

I really cannot learn much in 15 days.

Tried some of the old free versions and via system updates GS stopped working etc. -
    all in all it made for extra slow progress. Like others on this thread I only have a little time now and then.

So if you could find a way to use GS in a learning mode it would be great as I cannot see me subscribing to try it once in a while as I have been doing .

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,111Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    edited August 2017

@baadtaste said:
    I really cannot learn much in 15 days.
    Tried some of the old free versions and via system updates GS stopped working etc. -
    all in all it made for extra slow progress. Like others on this thread I only have a little time now and then.

So if you could find a way to use GS in a learning mode it would be great as I cannot see me subscribing to try it once in a while as I have been doing .

Again, no need to revive this old thread.

If you haven't already, check out the GameSalad Academy at www.learn.gamesalad.com - there are several tutorials that we've rounded up that should help you get an understanding of how GameSalad works. There's even some complete game tutorials on there!

• adent42adent42 Posts: 1,316Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee

@baadtaste the current trial is usage based. So it's actual days of usage, not continuous days. So if you're using it here and there, the trial can last many more than 15 calendar days.