GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad 0.9.91 is here! Introducing Kiip, Playhaven and Custom Splash Screens for All!

Comments

• calvin9403calvin9403 Posts: 3,190Member
    @FBS I did

what I know now is the free users will still get the playheaven ad on, and the pros can remove them
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,906Member
    @ultima It's sounds like you got the attitude man! Keep driving forward and trust your gut and you'll do it. Sometimes it takes years even decades to make it but one can never give up if they believe in their talent and dream!
  • tkullatkulla Posts: 64Member
    edited February 2012
    As I'm getting close to publishing my first game, I must say I'm annoyed by this change. I've put a lot of effort into my presentation, and I believe that an AD screen will seriously diminish the fun and effortless "feel" I'm trying to accomplish with my game. And paying $500 just to get rid of that ad seems excessive to me. What I was planning to do was to publish and then hopefully make some money from my game, which I would then use to become a pro user and publish for the Fire and Nook as well (I'm focusing on tablets). Now I have to figure out how to go back to the previous version, and my faith in GameSalad has been shaken, I must admit. I had thought the company was interesting in making money as we make money, not just making money from us.
    edited February 2012
    Words from a wise man, Francis Ford Coppola. Listen and learn!

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
    i just don't understand the hate over the ad at the beginning.

for years people have complained that having the GS splash screen unfairly lumped people in with people who publish crap. that no longer exists. now people are complaining that GS is forcing them to pay to upgrade to remove an ad. Users are not going to care about a splash screen ad. Hell, users don't care about the game salad logo either if you make a good game.

This can only be good for you. free users actually have the ability to establish a brand now, you have no idea how important this is. You can publish your game with the ability to reach hundreds of millions of people for free. what more do you want?

I really wish GS would get rid of this free model. You'll see how many people come asking for it to come back with the Ad.
  • old_kipperold_kipper Posts: 1,420Member
    Can the advertiser upgrade to pro so they don't have to put on the front of dodgy games? :)
    edited February 2012
    Good point @oldKipper Like I want my app advertised before some crappy game...LMAO
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Posts: 1,113Member
    @old_kipper ....I love how you've seen the situation from a comedy angle that no one else has thought of :)
    edited February 2012
    I have to disagree with you, jonmulcahy. If I buy an app, even for 99 cents, I do not expect to see a tacky ad before I get to play it. It immediately puts me off, and my initial impression of the developer is that they're trying to make a quick buck and not trying to build a brand by delivering a quality game experience.

Imagine how different the iPhone unboxing experience would be if a bunch of coupons or ads flew out of the box when you first opened it and you had to throw them away before continuing.
  • imbaentimbaent Posts: 17PRO
    ITT: people who can't afford PRO membership, yet have Apple's dev program, Macs and iPhones/iPads for testing... and even so, can't appreciate a free service. Sure is pathetic around here.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    edited February 2012
    @tkulla - "I had thought the company was interesting in making money as we make money, not just making money from us." - to be frank, GameSalad does not make money on free, published games (or any games for that matter). There was no income from basic users whatsoever. Without a revenue stream, there is no GameSalad. The introduction of this ad system assures, if anything, that we can continue to offer a powerful tool for free.

Also, by comparison, an app is not an iPhone. Purchase any off-the-shelf video game and you will find an ad of some kind inside.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

edited February 2012
    There is no DIRECT income from basic users. But once someone makes money off a Gamesalad app, there are far more likely to become PRO users to reach other platforms. That was the how this worked yesterday, and I thought it was a good model and fair value for all concerned. Now it's more like "become PRO or look like crapware" and that just doesn't feel as good to me. I understand the need to make money, and for being compensated for providing a service. But the pricing model as it stood yesterday "told" me that you were willing to prove to me that this platform works and then be rewarded by my loyalty (and money) over the next few years. Otherwise a more reasonable PRO price (perhaps the same $99 that Apple charges) makes more sense.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
    It's always been go pro or look like crapware :)

That gs splash screen really hurt people
    "Purchase any off-the-shelf video game and you will find an ad of some kind inside."

Not a great comparison either..... as the user/customer can throw away any crap/ads they might find bundled inside their game DVD case. They dont have to look at it everytime they want to play the game.
  • joecrozierjoecrozier Posts: 6Member
    Anyone who understands marketing and ads on iOS knows this is a terrible, terrible thing that the GS team has done.

The fact that our users have to click an ad away on a game they *paid* for is simply begging for negative publicity. Anyone with a free account with an app in the store may soon be seeing lots of 1 star reviews as soon as they have to update and include the referral screen.

I sincerely hope that the GS team rethinks this terrible decision, as it's clear that while this benefits GameSalad and GameHaven, it only hurts us, the developers, and by extension; our customers.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @tkulla - Assuming that every user satisfied with GameSalad will eventually go Pro to take advantage of the added benefits isn't feasible. While we want to make it as enticing and as fruitful as possible, some folks will never consider it - for many reasons. GameSalad remains "Development for everyone". Pro membership isn't a requirement - it enhances your work. Basic users can - and do - make amazing games that don't utilize a single piece of this functionality.

@Chunkypixels - perhaps not - however, a better example is that there are thousands of apps (some on my phone that I paid for) that still have ads appear every time I choose to play. But it doesn't stop me from enjoying the game I paid for because I know the quality speaks for itself, not the ad. By comparison, a single ad after a splash screen is much better than the loading screen ads I see in most games, persistently.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

edited February 2012
    To all of you who don't get it. I want to thank you for making it easier for people like me to succeed. For those of you who get it, welcome to the club and that people is reality and reality doesn't change because you don't like it. In fact that's what I'm counting on!
  • joecrozierjoecrozier Posts: 6Member
    @SaladStraightShooter

You say that all off the shelf video games include ads which must be clicked away?

Surely you can't be that deluded. I can't think of a *single* game I play regularly which forces its users (who may I note, paid for the game) to view and exit ads everytime the app is started.
    edited February 2012
    @joecrozier - please don't take what I said out of context. The comparison made earlier was in regards to unboxing an iPhone, which is what I was referring to.

I can appreciate you disagree, but let's keep this professional.

If that's the case SSS, perhaps a bit of market research into why that is would be in order.

Look, I like Gamesalad a lot. But I'm in a pickle now. I don't know if I'm going to make money, and this change makes it less likely that I will (bad reviews by those who didn't expect an ad when paying for an app). If I go PRO and don't recoup that rather significant investment ($500 is no chump change) then I'll have worked my butt off and LOST money.

For the record, if a a PRO or semi-PRO (limited number of apps published per year perhaps) was available for $99 I would do it right now.
    @tkulla just publish with the old version of GS and quit crying. And yes life is about risk so deal with it.
  • Rob2Rob2 Posts: 2,402Member
    Hopefully competition will force a reasonable pricing model and all this nonsense will go away.
    FryingBaconSudios, I can do without your condescension. I'm not being selfish here. I just want GameSalad to be successful in the best possible way - by providing value and being rewarded for it. If that's going to happen, people need to feel that the company wants them to succeed. This release does the opposite.

And yes, I will be publishing under 9.90 to avoid the ad and give my app a chance. I've lost a (very good) day's work, but that's the price I pay for immediately upgrading, I suppose.
    @all - as I said earlier, let's keep things professional.

@tkulla - we thrive on constructive feedback, and what you're suggesting is being noted.

edited February 2012
    @FBS ...you know, I actually agree with a lot of what you say... but some of it is just bullshit too....

Yes... to make it in business you have to take risks. You have to make investments. But...you also have to make calculated risks, and weigh up options, and often have to make choices. Theres a lot of better priced competition out there... so for a lot of people its actually a better business decision to go elsewhere.

So berating users for expressing their opinion, and telling them to either like it or give up is actually not the greatest of business advice. And it definately does the GS business no benefit to be telling its users theyre failures just because they havent invested $500. Maybe they should all use their business heads and go spend $150 on a cheaper competitive product? Yup... great business pep talk.....
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,390Member
    I wonder where all these 'developers' will go to use a no coding tool to make their iOS games and publish for free with no splash green and no ads ... Its 1 ad in return for EVERYTHING you get for FREE!!
    edited February 2012
    That's only your opinion. Everyone has opinions and only time can prove them right or wrong. And you are being ungrateful as gamesald by giving you free software is supporting your chance to produce a game. You posess the ungrateful attitude that affects our society today and frankly I'm sick of the crying. Grow up.

@chunkypixels yep the sword cuts both ways and only time will tell if this works out or not but if GS can't develop a revene stream then there is not GS. They have to pay people too and they work so they can feed their families. One can take my advice or not, I really don't care your life is not my problem. I try to give back by posting free videos and templates and building an index to help people find the tools to better themselves but the rest is up to them.

In the real world if you can't except the reality of life then you're one less person I have to compete with so keep fooling yourself, you are only hurting yourself not me.
  • 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Posts: 361Member, PRO
    edited February 2012
    @FryingBaconStudios

Listen up chico, you have no idea who you're talking to like that. I'm not bitching, I'm simply stating how I feel, GS needs to know how paying customers feel. For instance I listen to people I respect who give me good advice on my apps. I actually released an update today utilizing some suggestions I got from some members at Touch Arcade. Me lazy, no way. I have a college degree(got it while I was working), work a normal full time job, and I develop apps on the side and have been fairly successful at it so far. I also have a family that I take care of so you calling me lazy is completely ridiculous. As far as your videos, I already looked at them yesterday and I actually hit the "like" button on a couple of them. It appears I was the only person to do so on a couple of them so far. I know this is the internet so people get on forums and act like they know everything, and you're entitled to your opinion but you should think more before you speak and not assume things. Seriously, I don't know what's up with your attitude but you should chill out instead of getting worked up about my problems with GS. Sheesh. I'm 90% done with these forums, too many negative people on here.

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,112Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    This is getting out of hand guys. Please respect what SSS said "...let's keep things professional"
    There's a time and place for all this, and not isn't the time.
    You're right I shouldn't be worried and really I'm not. Thanx for liking my videos as most don't take the time to do so. I don't care about likes, I only care that it helps people and I hope you were helped by them. But to be honest after all this I may just go into full competitor mode and keep my discoveries to myself as unlike you and a handful of others most assume people owe them something and are ungrateful. I have friends on here that we share things with each other I may just retreat into that network. Thank you for your thought as you have made me re-think what I need to do.
This discussion has been closed.