GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update on Android Sound issues

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
edited March 2012 in News from the Dev Team
Hello all!

In previous discussions regarding the status of Android sound libraries and the problems inherent in each, we informed the community as to why many of these issues manifested. (Original thread here.) We noted that while recent adjustments and fixes corrected many of the issues encountered by the community, other issues persisted - most notably lag and skipping. (amongst other issues).

In answer to this, we are pleased to announce that we have developed an effective fix for Android sound issues for most devices. While this fix will not completely correct the sound issues in older devices, it should effectively eliminate those issues for newer generation devices. This fix is expected to be included in the upcoming 0.9.92 release.

Happy Developing!

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKPosts: 956Member, Sous Chef
    Excellent!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef
    edited March 2012
    But What about ………. Oh yeah wrong thread for that.

Yippee I can update my android stuff and lose the sound delay. Cant wait to get my hands on this next release.

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Posts: 5,390Member
    Soo happy, thanks for the info ... brilliant news :D
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    Wow that's great news! Thanks! And just in time because I should get my Kindle later this week. :-bd
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKPosts: 2,484Member
    While this fix will not completely correct the sound issues in older devices, it should effectively eliminate those issues for newer generation devices, including the Kindle Fire.
    @tshirtbooth - You just don't read, do you :P

Ace
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKPosts: 2,484Member
    I actually beat you for once in my life last night, I had to play a gig and got home at 2:30, got in bed for 3:00 and my teething daughter got up at 5:00. I am absolutely dead on my feet now, I have no idea how you keep it up unless your mainlining coffee ;)

Ace
  • uptimistikuptimistik VenezuelaPosts: 3,598Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    Awesome!!!

New Templates Daily At The Official GameSalad Marketplace GSHelper.com

• ChobbifaceChobbiface Posts: 491PRO
    Great news! Now just need the Kindle Fire to bloody hurry up and come to the UK!
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,109Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    I'm so excited!
    I am almost excited enough to drive to Houston and see it with my own eyes...before anybody else. :P
    Thank you!
    @braydon_sfx You do realize if you go to Houston you will have a hard time finding any of the GS team right? :P

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,109Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    edited March 2012
    @tenrdrmer - What? How can this be? I thought they were located in Houston?

EDIT: How did you get your signature? Is it only for Sous Chefs and Head Chefs?
    I think what tenrdrmer is saying, is you should try Dallas ;P
    @tenrdrmer - What? How can this be? I thought they were located in Houston?

EDIT: How did you get your signature? Is it only for Sous Chefs and Head Chefs?
    I hacked the system :P

edited March 2012
    What? Your here in Dallas, GameSalad?
    I live just south of Dallas. Would be nice if we could meet up.

@tenrdrmer - I knew it. Want to send me an email with instructions? :P
    @braydon_sfx Im pretty sure dallas is about as close to GS HQ as Houston. so far all you have right is the state and its big state. LOL

Jig's up. It's Austin. :)
    @tenrdrmer Very nice.

Thank you, @LiquidGameworks for that comment. I was hoping they were located in Dallas, but Austin is a 5 hour drive. I'll get there someday. :)
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    edited March 2012
    @Braydon_SFX - 5 hours?! How slow are you driving?? It's 3 1/2! ;)

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

@SaladStraightShooter - That includes traffic. ;) Friday night traffic.
  • ultimaultima Posts: 1,207Member, PRO
    edited March 2012
    nice to hear that 9.92 is coming soon. just came back from Austin, such a lovely city. SXSW was a blast.

i'll probably move there lol
  • PhoticsPhotics Posts: 4,172Member
    edited March 2012
    In answer to this, we are pleased to announce that we have developed an effective fix for Android sound issues for most devices. While this fix will not completely correct the sound issues in older devices, it should effectively eliminate those issues for newer generation devices, including the Kindle Fire. This fix is expected to be included in the upcoming 0.9.92 release.
    Hmm... I've been watching the forums for interesting GameSalad developments. This looks interesting!

• Quote button on the forum...
         • Sound bug fix for Android...
         • ...and what's this... signatures on posts?!

Good! I like to see things like this.
    Can't wait. I have 2 games ready to submit when this fix comes out. @SaladStraightShooter - Do we have a rough date on when the new version of GS is being released?
  • HymloeHymloe Posts: 1,651Member
    So, the update came out, but it didn't fix Kindle Fire, right?

I'm still on 0.9.92, and just put my game on Android (Desire HD).

And I have no "Play Sound" working on my Android device. I can hear the Music, but no Sound FX. Is the Desire HD not supported or something? I think it's a very common device, as far as I know...
    FYI, I can hear no sounds on Android, because my SoundFX files are in CAF format, which works for iOS, but not Android.

I think OGG is the one that's compatible for both. You live and you learn.
    I've now switched all my sound fx for OGGs and it works fine on iOS and Android.
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    Hey guys - those of you stating that you're encountering sound issues with the Kindle Fire or Nook - could you please submit your game projects to support so we can test based on your setups? We're developing a baseline for comparisons and this would be helpful. We need the specific project you're stating you're seeing sound delays or other sound related issues.

It also would help if you could give us an example of what you are comparing these issues to - and be sure to let us know that these are being experienced on an ad hoc build (as viewer testing is not reliable for sound).

If you have any questions, please let me know.

This discussion has been closed.