GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing GameSalad 0.9.93 Mac Creator Beta!

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
edited May 2012 in News from the Dev Team

Hi, everyone!

Today, we're launching GameSalad Creator for Mac 0.9.93 Beta. Included in this release are some powerful expansions to existing features that will help your games stand out more and perform better on the App Store. With 0.9.93 we're introducing Read/Write Tables and Resolution Independence for tablet devices. We've also included a substantial expansion to Playhaven options for Pro users, as well as a revamp of its integration for Free Users.

Writeable Tables:

By making Tables writable at runtime of a game, we've opened up a wealth of opportunity for GameSalad designers. Now, the tables of your game can be rewritten and/or added to based on the logic of your game. This feature offers incredible power in terms of replay ability for your title.

For example, if you have a puzzle game, designers could set up logic to dynamically create level scenarios based on math, rather than rely on preset values in the tables. New level data could generated on the fly, as the game runs, and create a unique playing experience every time players pick up your game.

Writeable tables could also be used for advanced statistic management and keeping. Using our new behaviors, designers can now utilize tables to manage level data for players in RPGs, or saving stats and achievements.

We've achieved writeable tables through the addition of four new behaviors within Creator:
  • 1. Add/Remove Row - This behavior will enable designers to dynamically add or delete rows of data from a table.
  • 2. Change Table Value - Enables designers to replace one cell value in a table with a new value.
  • 3. Copy Table - Allows designers to create new tables based on existing ones, so as not to complete undo default values and tables.
  • 4. Save Table - With the save function, designers can easily enable changes made during gameplay to be saves and utilized again during a new play session.
With Writeable Tables, the possibilities are near limitless!

Expanded Resolution Independence:

With 0.9.93, we've increased the maximum image dimension to 2048, thus providing support for the iPad 3's native retina display or 2048 x 1536. We've also included our Resolution Independence System to also work for iPad settings, allowing you to take advantage of higher-end resolutions (iPad 3) without sacrificing performance on older devices (iPad, iPad 2).

Resolution Independence on iPad works the same as it does for iPhone. Build for the higher resolution, with Resolution Independence selected on your project. When you go to publish, GameSalad will create smaller resolutions for older devices to be included in the build. These smaller images will be used on older devices, not capable of utilizing the larger resolution images.

Playhaven Plus:

In addition to Writeable Tables, and Resolution Independence for iPad, we've added a slew of customizable options for Pro Users regarding our Playhaven monetization system. Now, Pro Users can choose to include a "More Games" button, allowing players the option of when to look for other games. We've also enhanced our "Interstitial Screen" options, now enabling Pro Users to activate interstitial screens as Scene changes of their choice.

This option is enabled when adding a Change Scene, Reset Scene, or Pause Game behavior is called upon. All three of those behaviors now include a checkbox called, "Enable Advertisement". Checking this box will call up a Playhaven interstitial advertisement. Leaving the box unchecked will carry out the behavior as before.

For free users, we've also enhanced the Playhaven experience. Free users will no longer have interstitial screens activate between their Custom Splash screen and the start of game play. Instead, we've activated a small "More Games" button which pops up across the bottom of a game's splash screen. The button will go away before the game launches. Also, interstitial ads will trigger at random during scene transitions within the game.

These interstitial ads will now occur during every scene transition and are set with a 25% random chance at appearing. Overall, this should result in a much more enjoyable experience for our Free users and their players.

GameSalad Creator for Mac 0.9.93 Beta also includes a number of fixes. All the fixes and changes can be found in our full Release Notes. We're also still hard at work at our PGFc engine, as well as migrating much of our Windows Creator interface into the Mac Creator.

Where Do I Go:

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• patapplepatapple Posts: 873Member
    Thanks a lot for your awesome work guys!! THANKS =D> =D> =D>
  • RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Posts: 323Member
    Thanks for the hard work!
    Downloading now. :)
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,111Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    Yay! I've been waiting for this release!

Thanks guys!
  • PhoticsPhotics Posts: 4,172Member
    edited May 2012
    GameSalad 0.9.93 Notes...

Playhaven: Removed startup interstitial from games published with Basic account.
    What? Does that mean the free accounts with GameSalad won't have annoying splash screens on them?
  • hxphxp Posts: 6Member, PRO
    Sounds great, how is your view on saving data when doing an update of a version, Ie if you have a app with a saved table and add a new version, will the data be there for the updated version or do they loose all?
    (I have not tried yet so asking)
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    edited May 2012
    @Photics - the interstitial adds now have a 25% chance of appearing during every scene change rather than a forced ad directly behind the splash screen. The custom splash screen is still in place for free users, however, if that's what you meant. ;)

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

@Photics - the interstitial adds now have a 25% chance of appearing during every scene change rather than a forced ad directly behind the splash screen.
    ...so if I have a single scene game, that means no ads?
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Posts: 2,807Member, Sous Chef
    edited May 2012
    @Photics - the interstitial adds now have a 25% chance of appearing during every scene change rather than a forced ad directly behind the splash screen.
    ...so if I have a single scene game, that means no ads?
    Yes. If you don't use Reset Game, Reset Scene, or Pause Game behaviors.
    It doesn't really change anything for me, but this seems like big/good news. Especially with tables, a GameSalad game can be limited to a single scene.

• osucowboy18osucowboy18 Posts: 1,307Member
    Thanks for the update guys! GameSalad 0.9.93 sounds like a great release with a lot of exciting features in place. Off to download the update now!

- Alex
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
    It doesn't really change anything for me, but this seems like big/good news. Especially with tables, a GameSalad game can be limited to a single scene.

There will still be a more games button on the loading screen.
  • rhinokeyrhinokey Posts: 158Member
    any word on when this will be in the windows beta? sounds fun
  • JohnGreenArtJohnGreenArt Posts: 19Member
    How do I create an iPad game with the 2048 x 1536 resolution? I installed the update ("bounciness" shows instead of "restitution" so I know it installed), but if I make a new iPad project and go to scenes, it is still 1024 x 768.

Am I supposed to work around that by making the image files (say a piece of background art) at 2048 x 1536 and editing the actors placed in scene to be 1024 x 768 so it fits full screen in the editor? Then when played on a new iPad it scales the 1024 x 768 scene thus displaying the full resolution of the image file?
  • ZoytZoyt Posts: 374Member
    edited May 2012
    YES! Thank you so much! Is there something wrong with one of my favorite words, restitution? Come on. Now if I can only get the f***ing viewer on my iPad, I'm good to go. (Can you tell I'm slightly mad at Apple?)
  • entersimonentersimon Posts: 269Member
    Great job guys!

Btw...I'm not seeing a loading wheel. Haven't done an Ad Hoc test though.

Check out my daily app development blog at TheIndieDev.com

• IsabelleKIsabelleK Posts: 2,807Member, Sous Chef
    edited May 2012
    How do I create an iPad game with the 2048 x 1536 resolution? I installed the update ("bounciness" shows instead of "restitution" so I know it installed), but if I make a new iPad project and go to scenes, it is still 1024 x 768.

Am I supposed to work around that by making the image files (say a piece of background art) at 2048 x 1536 and editing the actors placed in scene to be 1024 x 768 so it fits full screen in the editor? Then when played on a new iPad it scales the 1024 x 768 scene thus displaying the full resolution of the image file?
    @JohnGreenArt, Wow, you are THIS John Green? You made THIS Nearly Departed? I love this game!

And yes - all actors are still at standard iPad resolution, and images are twice as big.
  • LuckyLurcherLuckyLurcher Posts: 343Member
    edited May 2012
    Are the loading times between scenes significantly quicker? Just been testing it on my current game with 90 scenes and it feels like it has improved. Super duper! :)

Or is it just no loading wheel?
  • mmzbrmmzbr Posts: 308Member
    edited May 2012
    Great Update! Writeable Tables YESSSS!! iPad 3 Support Great! No Facebook integration =/
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @mmzbr - that was never mentioned or promised... it's on our development plan, however.

• izamizam Posts: 484Member, PRO
    Thanks @SaladStraightShooter, this is very much a long awaited release.
    Awesome work as always guys!

However, I noticed that 9.93 still has an audio stuttering issue like that in 9.92 which I have reported few weeks ago to Bob. It is slightly better than 9.92 but it is unacceptable for players to hear that all throughout the game.

So like I've always done, I used 9.91 for android publishing. This is really a pity since I really could do some good things with that re-writeable tables. And this also means that I still have to stick to 9.92 to publish for iOS (to use the twitter functionality) and then open the same game file in 9.91 to publish to Android.

On that note, please don't kill off 9.91 publishing on the main server. I still depend on it for Android publishing without having this audio problem.

Thanks!
  • laxking97laxking97 Posts: 114Member
    Awesome!
  • BazookaTimeBazookaTime Posts: 1,274Member
    Question regarding ads for free users. So instead of one ad prior to the start of the App there will now be a 1 in 4 chance of an ad popping up every scene change? I have to be reading that wrong because there is no way customers of a paid app are going to be happy with that.
  • RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Posts: 323Member
    While playing my game in the viewer I'm getting a call out for ads between scenes even though I've included no such behavior and I'm logged in to the tool as a Pro user. Please tell me this isn't something that's broken.. :\
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    GameSalad Creator for Mac 0.9.93 Beta also includes a number of fixes, such as the tiling issue mentioned above.
    I think the tiling part got removed from your post. Can you elaborate it?

Question regarding ads for free users. So instead of one ad prior to the start of the App there will now be a 1 in 4 chance of an ad popping up every scene change? I have to be reading that wrong because there is no way customers of a paid app are going to be happy with that.
    After the initial release of Playhaven, we were researching ways that we could fundamentally change the monetization experience for our free users. Free users told us that the Splash Screen ad hurt their game branding, it delayed the game play experience, and was intrusive to the game experience in general. This system is actually much more fair, and a mere 25% chance between change scene, Pause scene, and reset scene isn't unreasonable.

• CulturePlayCulturePlay Posts: 113Member, PRO
    Awesome! Thanks for the update...I look forward to working with it!
    BTW, is there any way of selecting more than one actor on the screen in edit mode in order to move them as a group?
    GameSalad Creator for Mac 0.9.93 Beta also includes a number of fixes, such as the tiling issue mentioned above.
    I think the tiling part got removed from your post. Can you elaborate it?

Misstype, actually - that item needed more time in the kitchen.

This discussion has been closed.