GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing Windows 8 and Windows Store Support!

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
edited September 2012 in News from the Dev Team
Hello all,

GameSalad is pleased to announce that we have joined with Microsoft to bring Windows 8 App Store publishing to GameSalad Creator in advance of the launch of Windows 8 in October!

The Windows 8 Store is an incredible opportunity for the GameSalad community. With the Windows operating system reaching over 600MM computers in 200 markets worldwide, it’s a terrific location to showcase and sell your apps. That’s more than twice the size of the iOS market!

You will find a new "Windows 8" publishing target integrated directly into the web publishing flow, allowing you to quickly and easily publish any previously developed game or application to the Windows 8 Store. We're excited to open up this new market to our developers, and look forward to seeing your contributions!

Mac users will also be able to publish directly to the Win8 Store even if they do not have a computer running Windows, though testing will require a Windows device.

Please note that
Windows 8 App Store publishing is a Pro only feature of GameSalad Creator.

GameSalad and Microsoft will be hosting a joint webinar for any developer (basic or pro users) interested in Windows 8 Store publishing on Friday, September 28th at 1:00PM CST. Please register here: https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/452117663

Cheers,
The GameSalad Team

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,075Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    AWESOME!
  • TesseractEngineTesseractEngine Posts: 180Member
    Whoa. Big news! Great stuff!

Quire Graphics - Graphics for Games

• very cool
  • imGuaimGua Posts: 1,089Member
    So... Will we able to get our games in *.exe format and will those game work on Windows 7?
  • uptimistikuptimistik Trinidad and TobagoPosts: 3,597Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    edited September 2012
    @imGua it's for the Windows 8 App Store...so I *guess* it'll work on there alone?...maybe?

New Templates Daily At The Official GameSalad Marketplace GSHelper.com

• @SaladStraightShooter The register link seems to not working, just so you know.
  • Exciting stuff! Not top of my priorities but could be interesting as it is such a new market. The link does work partially, look at the url at the top of the page and you can just remove this pages url :)
  • VGXVGX Posts: 796Member
    Windows 8 as in the PC OS not the mobile phone OS?
  • SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    @VeiraGames - yes, the PC OS.

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

• SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
    Fixed the link for the Webinar - it didn't like HTML formatting.

• GuaveMediaGuaveMedia Posts: 1,262Member, PRO
    AMAZING :D

@SaladStraightShooter
    So there will be tablets and phones I guess, which device do we choose and
    how is the registration at windows is set up? What price for a membership etc.?
    Any info would be great :)

www.guavegames.wordpress.com
    www.tranrock.wordpress.com

• PhiliePhilie Posts: 240PRO
    Great work guys. Should be interesting to see how our games do on there.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
    It's $50 a year, and it only targets windows 8 desktops and windows 8 tablets. That's it.

iPad or Mac apps will scale well, iPhone not so much.

• CrestwoodCrestwood Posts: 80Member
    NICE!! I am digging the desktop support. That is a very large market.
  • LuckyLurcherLuckyLurcher Posts: 343Member
    Very interesting news!
  • Out of curiousity, what measures have been built in to prevent piracy ?

Windows market is the worst for piracy, so wondering...
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Posts: 1,447Member
    edited September 2012
    @machinegunkelly The Windows store should work like the Apple Store. The purchase should be linked to the user account. Obviously like it happens to the Apple Store there will be methods for downloading apps illegally.

• wpatenwpaten Posts: 281Member, PRO
    Will the Windows 8 support In App Purchasing?
  • MammothMammoth Posts: 640Member
    Will you be able to export standalone EXEs?
  • imbaentimbaent Posts: 17PRO
    >in advance of the launch of Windows 8 in October!
    >Once GameSalad Creator for Windows 8 is released
    so wait a second, at first it says that we can publish before Win 8 is out, but then it says we can publish only when creator is available for Win 8?
    So... when can we publish again??
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface Posts: 491PRO
    Very exciting news! :D Is there a particular reason why the phone market is not targeted?
    @Chobbiface - we'll likely be working with Microsoft to bring that functionality in a future release.

imbaent said:

>in advance of the launch of Windows 8 in October!
    >Once GameSalad Creator for Windows 8 is released
    so wait a second, at first it says that we can publish before Win 8 is out, but then it says we can publish only when creator is available for Win 8?
    So... when can we publish again??

Updated for clarity. Windows 8 (Windows Store) publishing is available now to Pro users.

• ChobbifaceChobbiface Posts: 491PRO
    edited September 2012
    Thanks @SaladStraightShooter exactly what I wanted to hear! This has been a very nice surprise :D
  • mattjcodymattjcody Posts: 1Member

Updated for clarity. Windows 8 (Windows Store) publishing is available now to Pro users.

Sorry for the basic question but does that mean we can still test on Windows 8 with the basic version? Or do we need to upgrade to pro before we can even start a Windows 8 game? I'm keen to try this out but I want to be able to see how it all works before I pay $300 for it.

• floydianspiralfloydianspiral Posts: 308Member, PRO
    will this be able to export .exe?
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,376Member, Sous Chef
    mattjcody said:

Sorry for the basic question but does that mean we can still test on Windows 8 with the basic version? Or do we need to upgrade to pro before we can even start a Windows 8 game? I'm keen to try this out but I want to be able to see how it all works before I pay $300 for it.

you need pro to test, the same file you test with is what you upload to microsoft, so there is really no way to separate it.
  • GLGAMESGLGAMES SingaporePosts: 988Member
    windows market!! now we really need some solid games there to get exposure.
  • PhoticsPhotics Posts: 4,172Member
    edited September 2012
    I like this news. I think it's a smart move for Windows and GameSalad. I'm not sure if it's going to be major though. I've been hearing bad things about Windows 8. Maybe this alliance will change some opinions — for the better.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Posts: 9,934Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef

will this be able to export .exe?

No as far as I know its a new format only playable on a windows 8 machine.

I seem to remember in the past GS saying they planned on bringing .exe but I don't believe this partnership has anything to do with that.

It's not my fault I never learned to take responsibility for anything. ;)