GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSalad Mac Creator 0.10.3 Beta

SaladStraightShooterSaladStraightShooter Austin, TxPosts: 3,081Member, Chef Emeritus
edited May 2013 in News from the Dev Team
Hello everyone!

We're pleased to release another revision to Mac Creator that includes key fixes and optimizations previously discussed by @CodeWizard in his State of GameSalad posts. These fixes incorporate updates to memory management and framerate, further enhancing your apps and addressing the memory increases previously seen after the 0.10.2 release. This release is both a Creator and a binary release. You will need to update to latest Creator to take advantage of the updates.

Engine Optimizations:

This release has the first batch of our ongoing engine optimization work. Here's what we've got ready for you in this version:
  • We removed the multi-threaded image / sound loading that was introduced in 0.10.2. It turns out that it was causing some negative framerate impacts. It also has a few flaws that introduced white actors on occasion. We'll be revisiting this in the future.
  • We disabled our custom Lua memory allocator and are now using the one provided by LuaJIT. This not only improves performance, but it fixes an ongoing crash that was happening in our allocator. The result? Faster games that don't crash as much.
  • There are a handful of other smaller tweaks to the Lua code to help with performance and memory footprint. We'll continue to roll these out on a regular basis.
More detail can be found in the release notes HERE.

As normal, please feel free to post feedback in this thread or direct issues/bugs to support. We look forward to bringing additional updates soon - look out for new posts by @CodeWizard on the State of GameSalad weekly for more information.

Cheers,
The GameSalad Team

Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• FlamingbananaFlamingbanana Posts: 90Member, PRO
    Awesome!!! Great work everyone!
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,112Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick GameSalad Employee
    edited May 2013
    Very nice! Thanks! :D

EDIT: It's really nice to see how fast you guys are pushing out these updates. It's nice to have some bugs fixed within a week or two instead of 2-3 months...Great work!
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,822Member
    Thanks to the whole GS team, great stuff.

:)>-
  • robertkdalerobertkdale USAPosts: 912Member
    THANK YOU !!! I love the GameSalad's team commitment to the GS community. Keep up the great work! :D

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• AppFueledAppFueled Posts: 308Member
    I went ahead and tried uploading my app after the update but i am still getting rejected as an "invalid binary."
  • SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Posts: 754Member
    Uploading app now... We'll see what happens...
  • uptimistikuptimistik VenezuelaPosts: 3,598Member, Sous Chef, PRO
    Ok...so @codewizard and @saladstraightshooter and everyone else at GS...this morning my app was crashing and instruments reported it spiking at 179MB.

Now? it's maxing out at 89MB ....that's insane, that's insane..i can't believe it...everything works faster/better!

OMG awesome I love GameSalad!

New Templates Daily At The Official GameSalad Marketplace GSHelper.com

• SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Posts: 754Member
    @uptimistik Wow! You're happy! :D
    Edit: I'm getting the white actors in some instances as indicated, but i could deal with that. quick restart fixes it for now

• 8bitninja8bitninja Posts: 367Member
    Awesome! Can't wait to try it out, Thanks Gamesalad! :D
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Posts: 1,143Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    edited May 2013
    @uptimistik Hmm. Where / when are you seeing those white actors?
  • SirioGarciaSirioGarcia Posts: 52Member
    Awesome! Thank you so much GS Team, I love this Company •Ω•
    Anyone else still getting rejected for "invalid binary" due to UDID?
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,906Member
    @appfuleled try doing a new build and not update game.
  • ChakkuChakku Posts: 1,513Member

I love happy users!

So do I 8->

Chakku :)
  • clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caPosts: 194Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm still getting the UDID issue! I tried updating the app initially, then reading @FryingBaconStudios post I created a whole new application and rebuilt. Same issue! Any suggestions? Would really like to get my finally finished game into the store!

The game has IAP, GameCenter leaderboard and Achievements. I don't use any of the ad services.

Cheers,
    Chris.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried a new build instead of updating but still no luck.

@appfuleled try doing a new build and not update game.

• JarrenHJarrenH Posts: 206Member
    Awesome, going to check this out tonight! Checked my apps memory usage last night using @FryingBaconStudio trick, and it was around 120-130 MB, curious to see how low it drops. Hopefully it also improves scene loading time. That was the only time I saw fps drops.

Thanks so much for pushing out these updates so fast!
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Posts: 1,143Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee
    Sorry to hear about the continuing UDID issues. We'll get a hotfix out for that straight away (like tomorrow if possible).
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAPosts: 621Member, PRO
    Sweet Deal!! Faster loading times.... ^:)^
  • JanobeJanobe Posts: 46Member, PRO

Sorry to hear about the continuing UDID issues. We'll get a hotfix out for that straight away (like tomorrow if possible).

What a pity. Hope the UDID Issue will be resolved soon.
    cheers...

• zoopezoope Posts: 210Member
    Awesome!!!! My confidence in GS is back with these quick updates, just when we were looking to move to a different platform. Great work

Hope to see android IAP the same way like a sweet surprise.

@CodeWizard Extra thumbs up to you mate!

Keep up the good work GS :)
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Posts: 2,033Member
    Just confirming :
    Still getting the UDUD binary error here too.
    Hope it's resolved pretty quick, as I have a broken game live, that I need to get updated with this fixed version.
    Yeah, looks like we missed merging the UDID change into the release branch. Oh noes! We should have this worked out tomorrow.

Sorry for the problems! :(
  • natzuurnatzuur Posts: 304Member
    No crashes, memory handling is better, and FPS is pretty solid on my project. I'm happy overall. Hopefully you can get the multi-threaded images and sounds worked out. Keep up the good work.
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Posts: 2,033Member

Yeah, looks like we missed merging the UDID change into the release branch. Oh noes! We should have this worked out tomorrow.

Sorry for the problems! :(

Doh!

Will keep my eyes peeled for the update. Fingers crossed it's not too long........my eyes don't like being peeled I think.
  • bajashbajash Posts: 215Member, PRO
    I am still getting the Rejected Binary email from Apple. I thought this was fixed?
    @bajash, look at the post directly above yours ;)