GS Developer Needed for Full Time Position with Studio

D7DevD7Dev Member Posts: 1
Hello All,

D7 Studios is seeking a GS developer in Austin, TX to work at our studio full time. We have already created and released 3 games and have a team of developers working on projects right now. This position would need to work from our office so please no inquires about virtual development. This is an entry level GS development position, but knowing GS is a must as we have quite a few projects that will require already knowing how the system works. Other engines or programming languages are a plus as well. Please send all inquires to jobs@d7.com with resume and portfolio. A portfolio of projects using GS is a must.

Best,

Tony

Comments

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    D7Dev said:
    This position would need to work from our office so please no inquires about virtual development.

I find this fascinating! Companies prefer to pay for office space, office supplies, and computers, so someone can sit in traffic 1-3 hours a day and sit in a little box for 8 hours a day.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    They can also make sure people are actually WORKING.
    POLYGAMe said:
    They can also make sure people are actually WORKING.

Heh, is that why so many people play Solitaire or check their Facebook status at work?

How many people here are at work right now?!
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    LOL. Good point.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I've worked from home AND worked in an office plenty of times.

There's a different dynamic to both environments for sure, and plus and negative points for each.

To dismiss one out of hand is a bit silly.

It's encouraging that development houses are taking GameSalad on board and are actively looking to recruit people with experience of the tool.

Good luck with your search, D7.

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    I'm curious what the salary range for an "entry level GameSalad developer" is.

Seeing as there are only about 500 devs worldwide using GS (more than half are probably teens or self-employed)...I would suspect it will take a while to find one in Texas willing to work for an "entry level" salary in an office.
    Isn't GameSalad from Texas though? That could increase the chances of finding a developer. Perhaps this could be more successful as an internship.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    quantumsheep said:
    I've worked from home AND worked in an office plenty of times.

There's a different dynamic to both environments for sure, and plus and negative points for each.

To dismiss one out of hand is a bit silly.

It's encouraging that development houses are taking GameSalad on board and are actively looking to recruit people with experience of the tool.

Good luck with your search, D7.

QS :D

Agreed! Good luck in your search D7!
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I worked remotely for a company called Flipswap.com
    It worked quite well however self motivation is very important as it's easy to get distracted.

One thing i found was at home its easy to just do the minimum however, when i was at work i was constantly working with the others there to figure out how to improve the company.

of course when i moved 14 hours away hitting the office from time to time didnt work so well lol

I actually find a mix of both to be quite refreshing
    JamesZeppelin said:
    One thing i found was at home its easy to just do the minimum however, when i was at work i was constantly working with the others there to figure out how to improve the company.

That must be nice. My experience has been the exact opposite. The reward for hard work is... MORE WORK. Suggestions to improve the company are usually ignored or you have to fight like crazy to convince unqualified supervisors/managers. And if you manage to save the company hundreds of thousands of dollars, your reward is a layoff. Have a nice day!
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    @Photics...
    So true...
    But I don't really blame the companies...as competition is incredibly cut-throat these days. And your "value" is really only a measure on how much profit you generate and/or how "replaceable" you are...which really has always been the case since the beginning of Capitalism.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    Photics said:
    That must be nice. My experience has been the exact opposite. The reward for hard work is... MORE WORK. Suggestions to improve the company are usually ignored or you have to fight like crazy to convince unqualified supervisors/managers. And if you manage to save the company hundreds of thousands of dollars, your reward is a layoff. Have a nice day!

Yeah I started with that company when they were still considered a startup so growing the company was just part of the job. But once a board of directors took over i was sent packing.
    It's bittersweet though. Since I'm vested i want them to keep doing well but i also want to see them fail and lose everything out of spite for what they did to some great people who pioneered something great.
    synthesis said:
    which really has always been the case since the beginning of Capitalism.

It seems more like backwards capitalism. Failing banks get bailed out, while hard workers get laid off. That is the one good thing about the iTunes App Store. While I think there's some favoritism going on, it's quite competitive. If you make a good game, it usually gets noticed.
  • OknaviOknavi Member Posts: 13
    Failing banks getting bailed out is called politics, not capitalism. lol
  • TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Member Posts: 1,162
    I'm sure there's someone in Texas that is qualified.

I've worked as a Graphic Designer for 10 years now, mostly for companies in-office, but I've also worked for myself from home for about 4 years which is what I'm still doing. Quantum is right there's pros and cons to both..I prefer to work from home because I hate the office environment and I have more creative freedom this way.

There were a few jobs I've had though that REQUIRED me to be there of course...like working on the TV show Stargate.