New iPods, Ping, and oh, GameCenter

YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
Hey, everybody!

I just thought I'd pop on and share some of my thoughts on the Apple press event from earlier today. Definitely some exciting stuff. We couldn't be happier about the new iPod Touches, especially with Apple's increased interest in iOS devices as gaming platforms. It's make us excited to be able to say that we offer the easiest and fastest way to develop games on the world's most popular gaming device.

The iTunes certainly looks interesting. To be honest, I'm a little surprised they've chosen to limit Ping to music interaction. I'd very much like to see something similar for sharing great apps or iBooks. Still, it will be exciting to see how it turns out.

I'd also like to take some time and let everyone know that GameCenter is definitely a high priority on our roadmap. As I said in the most recent 'Big Picture' update, it's something we're working on. GameCenter is a huge system. It incorporates match-making, high scores, achievements, etc. When we incorporate it into GameSalad, we want it to be something that not only takes advantage of its full potential, but we also need to allow developers the full range of versatility, so they can customize which features work best for them.

In short, just know that GameCenter is one of our top foci and we're all very excited about what it could offer everyone who uses GameSalad to build their games.

--Yodapollo

Comments

• RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    Very excited to hear about GameCenter!

And thanks for the quick update, hopefully the start of many more to come :)
  • aalzankiaalzanki Member Posts: 283
    I'm very excited about GameCenter.
    I guess i'll have to buy a pro membership :)

Regards,
    aalzanki
  • AppChogieAppChogie Member Posts: 503
    @Yodapollo this is great news I can't wait to see GameCenter implemented within GameSalad, and with all the talk of new game creation software from rival companies my money will stay with GameSalad I was at the start and i'll be at the end.

Thanks for taking the time

AppChogie
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Good news!

I found this interesting from the event:

http://www.epicgames.com/technology/epic-citadel

"Epic’s Unreal Development Kit (UDK), available for free download at www.udk.com/download, ships with the same tools and technologies used to create “Epic Citadel.” Anyone can create games with UDK."

Thoughts?

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• 8BitMichael8BitMichael Member, PRO Posts: 125
    aalzanki said:
    I'm very excited about GameCenter.
    I guess i'll have to buy a pro membership :)

Regards,
    aalzanki

In their "big picture" update they said that GameCenter will be available for express users.
  • aalzankiaalzanki Member Posts: 283
    MDearworth said:
    In their "big picture" update they said that GameCenter will be available for express users.

lol
    I will buy it anyway ;)
    I really need the in-app url
  • WyrdGuitaristWyrdGuitarist Member, PRO Posts: 91
    Good news on Game Center, thanks for the update Yodapollo.
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    tshirtbooth said:

PS. no one here would complain if gamecenter only had leader board to start well you guys work on the rest :)

Yes! Release this first! then work on other Stuff!
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    quantumsheep said:
    Good news!

I found this interesting from the event:

http://www.epicgames.com/technology/epic-citadel

"Epic’s Unreal Development Kit (UDK), available for free download at www.udk.com/download, ships with the same tools and technologies used to create “Epic Citadel.” Anyone can create games with UDK."

Thoughts?

QS :D

Once you have been thru the 55 pages of the new itunes tos http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/epic-citadel/id388888815?mt=8
    W-O-W
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    w00t! Thanks for the update GS staff.

EDIT: Does anyone know when GameCenter goes live? I'd like to be able to avoid making custom achievements if possible :)
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    next week with iOS 4.1
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    Wow, 3GS+ :(
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    I am in dire need of a new iPod! time to save...
  • danlbryantdanlbryant Member Posts: 236
    Great news! Glad to hear it!!! I can't wait to get a new iPod touch! Who needs an iPhone when you have facetime... ami right? nobody?
  • DjangoZDjangoZ Member Posts: 40
    Thanks Yoda for posting this - just knowing that GC is a high priority is meaningful to me.
  • 1UpGamestudio1UpGamestudio Member Posts: 213
    !!!!!!!great great great!!!!!!!
  • reddotincreddotinc Member Posts: 653
    tshirtbooth said:
    PS. no one here would complain if gamecenter only had leader board to start well you guys work on the rest :)

Don't forget achievements! :)

Can't wait for this to be integrated!!
  • gamecremegamecreme Member Posts: 55
    Just wanted to know, how's the development process on GameCenter.
    Any updates? Schedule when this will be ready?
  • xmusicxmusic Member Posts: 18
    gamecreme said:

Are you an archeology major?
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    xmusic said:

LMAO
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    xmusic said:

hehe love it
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    DjangoZ said:
    Thanks Yoda for posting this - just knowing that GC is a high priority is meaningful to me.

gamecreme said:

The digging up of this post, apart from the laffs, also highlights how slow things have been, especially GameCentre.

I don't know. It seems they're eager to give us new platforms (iPad was available at launch - Mac has just arrived a few weeks after launch) but stuff that we actually would like...

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    I thought the same just then.

5months ago the line was "We are working on GC and it's a high priority"

and now the line is

"We see the demand from you lot for GC...we are working on it"

makes me a little bit sad inside this morning to see it's been so long since we first read this post. I remember it like it was yesterday...and all this was fields...and we had to walk to work and back...uphill....both ways etc.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    5 mths ago was before GS Direct was announced, and i think that set them back a lot. I hope we get an update like this soon.

but, this thread is 5 mths old, and the information in it no longer applies. I'm closing it to prevent people from thinking it's recent.
This discussion has been closed.