Forget Gamesalad for a moment and its frustrations

Peter_OlafsonPeter_Olafson Member Posts: 301
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
What is your favorite non-gamesalad iPhone app?
And non-gamesalad iPad app?

Cause I'm going shopping.

Comments

• firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    I love Tilt to Live for the iPhone.
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    I have a bit of a story, but it gets to a good game. And it's a pretty awesome story of tragedy and redemption in an extremely fanboy sort of way. (You should like it butterbean :D)

Back when I was 10, I had a fairly inexpensive ViewSonic PocketPC that I would carry everywhere. Having a PocketPC was obviously a rare item for a 10 year old to have, but my friends were jealous that I could play some badass mobile games and have an mp3, video player, productivity all in one device. Ah good times.

*EDIT*
    If anyone has some background in PocketPC games I'd love to see what you've done. I think I remember you saying you had Joe? There was some pretty advanced mobile games at the time. I had a $30.00 Age of Empires game that had a full campaign and Skirmish mode. There was a great Mario Kart clone, some impressive golfing games, and I recall EA even made Madden for it.

Anyway, one of those awesome games was called Fire Power: Onrush. It was an arcade 2D airplane/helicopter shooter with 8 long levels and 4 bosses, great gameplay and enemy variety, and above all: mimics the metal slug art style perfectly (in fact I believe the game steals one of Metal Slug's explosion sprites. Someone please play and verify!). It was very difficult and had limited continues, so I could never beat it. One time, my RAM was running low or something and when I started to play the game the fps slowed to a crawl. I spent the next 2 hours during a blackout playing the game at a mind-nummingly easy speed. Even at this pace, I still died several times. Then, on the final level, the game suddenly sped up, and pretty far into the level I got shot by a damn purple laser and died. I never even saw the final boss.

Then the other day I stumbled across an iPhone port of the game in the What's Hot section I believe. I instantly bought it and was sooo disappointed. It had increased continues, so I was glad I could finally finish the game, but the controls were implemented so poorly! First off the display for the controls take half of the screen horizontally. Plus, the controls are awkward.They were decent enough to play, but not really enjoy it. The game also did not support saving or fast app switching, so you have to sink a good 20 minutes into an awfully controlled nightmare. I wrote one of my few detailed reviews begging for a revision, but I don't think the dev is very active still.

In a light bulb moment, I decided to try it on the iPad and it still looks fantastic. And the bigger screen makes the controls much more manageable. I beat the game last night on normal, and I have yet to attempt hard. I suggest everyone get it if they are a fan of shooters, especially Metal Slug.

It is $1.99.

Everyone play it!

The end.

Edit: Can a sous chef please make my image work? I cannot figure it out. Thanks
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Favourite recent app is the BBC News app - not only does it have all the top stories, but you can watch the 24 hour BBC News channel ON THE ACTUAL DEVICE.

An absolute revelation to me and the quality is excellent. I've not tried watching it live 'on the go', but if you have your phone connected to wireless, it's essentially watching tv on your phone! Brilliant! :D

Game wise, I've been playing a lot of Espgaluda 2, Do Don Pachi, Backgammon NJ, Carcassone, Pix'n rush and Canabalt - I'd recommend any of those!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    @eastbound: that image link is bad...

to make it work:

[img src="yourlinkgoesherebetweenthesequotes" />

(replace that first bracket with the less than sign)