POLL: Favourite 8-Bit System for New Game?

AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
Hey guys,

As you may or may not know, I'm a huge retro fan. For a future project (yes, I had decided that I was going to give up devving after Route 86 but I changed my mind - lol) I want to make a game that looks exactly like an old 8-Bit game.

I was going to do C64 (I have a fantastic SID musician on my team), but the colours are quite bland and unless you're a C64 fan, you might not appreciate it.

So... which machine would you prefer to see re-created on iPhone? Poll away!

Cheers :)

Comments

• IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Maybe Amiga? I am a big fan of it :)

Something like Cannon Fodder or SuperFrog :)
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    That's 16-Bit. Very cool system but I want to do another 8-Bit style game first... and all 16-Bit machines were pretty similar graphically.... SNES, Mega Drive, Amiga...

EDIT: My current game is more like a 16-Bit title ;-)
  • gazjmgazjm Member Posts: 578
    I had an Amstrad cpc464 as a kid, often thought of making a game replicating that, so I vote cpc! Plus you could incorporate a green screen mode for added authenticity!
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    You forgot Intellivision...It was AWESOME!
    Yeah, Intellivision, Colecovision, Odyssey... all systems I'm not really familiar with. Not even sure if they made it to this part of the world! But could be good ;-)
    No votes for NES? I'm surprised... I guess most of the Americans are asleep. LOL. Or I could be wrong in guessing that the NES would be the most popular vote in the US...?
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    I voted NES!

The only games console I ever had before I got my xbox :) I guess I'm too young to have any other the others. [-gameboy]
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Amstrad CPC gets my vote.

As an artist that's actually worked on most of the consoles and computers of that generation, I found the CPC had the most vibrant colors, and nicest palette, even though it still used the chunky pixel mode that most C64 games used. it also had less restrictions on colors used per character block compared to most other systems of the period, so made it a heck of a lot more fun to do graphics for.

So seeing it listed brought back a feeling of nostalgia, as I gained some of my highest scores and best ever reviews with the graphics for Turrican 2 on the CPC.

if the CPC hadn't been on the list, I'd have probably voted for the Gameboy (original 4 scale sepia tinted version), based on the fact OCP Art Studio had been released on the Atari ST by the time the GB was released, and it was an amazing art package compared to what had been available previously.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    There is already a pretty popular nes emulator for iPhone out there that is open source

If you are apple dev that means you dont have to jailbreak..... Just use Xcode to build and install

Of course it's illegal to own the rooms but.... From a
    legal point of view there are 100s of home brew titles in .nes
    format
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Ha! Spectrum got as many votes as c64!

IN YOUR FACE, POLYGAME!!! SPECTRUM FOREVER!!! :D

(and to think, I abhor the 'console wars', yet will defend the Spectrum forever!)

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

JamesZeppelin said:
    There is already a pretty popular nes emulator for iPhone out there that is open source

If you are apple dev that means you dont have to jailbreak..... Just use Xcode to build and install

Of course it's illegal to own the rooms but.... From a
    legal point of view there are 100s of home brew titles in .nes
    format

I'm not wanting to recreate a game (Duck Hunt Kid did that), I want to recreate the feel of a system ;-)
  • ToastKittenToastKitten Member Posts: 360
    Gameboy = Pokemon = $$$
  • ShpintShpint Member Posts: 404
    ToastKitten said:
    Gameboy = Pokemon = $$$

YEAH!!!!

Gameboy is the only system I was able to get my hand on. I was like 6 when I got my first GB Advance. That was my first gaming system. :)
    Hmm, a few votes for GS! Could be pretty cool. Definitely the monochrome version, not the colour varieties.
    And C64 is once again ahead of the Speccy... now that all of the Speccy fans in existence have voted :P
  • hrsmediahrsmedia Member Posts: 522
    I used to love my zx spectrum+2 , I still have the wood atari 2600 somewhere :)

Anybody remember the game on the spectrum where the princess is kidnapped at the beginning and there are loads of high trees to jump across I think you are a ninja... I admit it's not much to go on but I been trying to find it for ages...

Edit: It was the first game on one of the 10 tapes that came with the machine.. :)
    Super Mario Ninja Bros? LOL.
    Legend of Kage? Was that it?

Apparently Mobygames doesn't like you linking their images! The game is here:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/zx-spectrum/legend-of-kage/mobyrank
    It's very similar to Legend of Kage. Legend of Kage looks like an enhanced version.
    Hmmm, I dunno then. If that's ENHANCED I'd hate to see the game you're tlking about... God the Speccy games were ugly to look at...

*waits for attack from QS*

LOL.
    Hmm actually that might be it, I was looking at the NES version. But I remember the princess being taken away in a carriage or something. My memory is very hazy now lol
    There was an SMS game (also arcade) and could have been on Speccy where the girl is taken off in a van - Vigilante.
    Wow... it looks crap. LOL.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/zx-spectrum/vigilante

HE HAS A BLUE HEAD!!!!
    haha, yea I think it was Legend of Kage, now if I could find an emulator to play it... :)
  • FetaboyFetaboy Member, PRO Posts: 191
    I always preferred my SMS over the NES. I'd love an iphone part of Phantasy Star, Fantasy Zone, Alex Kidd, Shinobi, Outrun, Golvellius, Y's, and probably others that I can't remember right now.

Good thing I got a PSP to get my fix of portable retro gaming.
  • FetaboyFetaboy Member, PRO Posts: 191
    Fetaboy said:
    I always preferred my SMS over the NES. I'd love an iphone port of Phantasy Star, Fantasy Zone, Alex Kidd, Shinobi, Outrun, Golvellius, Y's, My Hero, Space Harrier, and probably others that I can't remember right now.

Good thing I got a PSP to get my fix of portable retro gaming.

• dee99dee99 Member Posts: 100
    I love smb and duck hunt so.... NES
    hrsmedia said:
    haha, yea I think it was Legend of Kage, now if I could find an emulator to play it... :)

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/emulators.html

:-)
    Fetaboy said:

Yeah, technically the SMS was a better machine, too. The SMS was WAY bigger here in NZ than the NES. I have a few games for it but no console right now. Emulation is good but nothing beats the actual hardware. SMS and Mega Drive are my fave old consoles. Out of the newer "retro" stuff, I'd have to go for 3DO, Jaguar and Dreamcast (which probably isn't retro yet - looking at buying one today!).

EDIT: Weird! Quote's not working! Oh well... easy to see what I meant ;-)