Steve Jobs in 10 minutes. If you don't know him, check this out.

design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
Some of you guys are new to Apple Computers, and some (myself at least) have worked with them since the pre Mac days. If you are designing games with GameSalad, here is a guy you should thank for the Mac and the iPhone.

Word is he's a hard guy to work for and with, but he sure deserves a lot of credit for the success of Apple.

The first Apple Computer I worked with as a IIe back in college (early 80s). I worked with the first Macs at a small newspaper and have progressed with them through almost every model... including a couple of Power Computing clones (they were actually pretty good). I also had stock in Apple for a few years and did pretty well with it.

So, what's your Mac history?

HAPPY NOSE JOB!: Nesen Probe: is on the App Store. If anyone want's to try it out, codes are still available near the end of this thread: http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=8097

Comments

• TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Member Posts: 1,162
    Nice! Did you see the MacHeads and the other 2 specials that aired last year? Really good.

I had my first Mac II back in highschool 1993 :) I'd use the first version of Macromedia Director and Photoshop to create crazy scripted animations.
  • jstrahanjstrahan Member Posts: 498
    Started with coco3 then pc then apple iic then pc then MacBook then pc ( I know big mistake) now Mac mini iPad iPhone 2g,3G,3GS and soon to b 4 and never going back I fix pc in my brothers pawn shop god I'm tired of always fixing them
  • ToastKittenToastKitten Member Posts: 360
    Pirates of Silicon Valley is a great movie. It's pretty much the story of apple, Microsoft, and all the controversy in between. I highly recommend watching it :)
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    I love Apple products but not their business ethics.

I recently read a book entitled "On the Edge - The Rise and Fall of Commodore". Eye opening stuff!

There was a quote from someone (can't remember which bloke it was) that said "There is nothing evil about Bill Gates and there is nothing nice about Steve Jobs". LOL.
  • JackBQuickJackBQuick Member Posts: 524
    design219 said:
    ... including a couple of Power Computing clones (they were actually pretty good).

My first Mac was a Power Computing clone :) I bought it in one of two shops in Toronto that sold Macs at the time. With no access to a vehicle, I used a taxi to get it back to my apartment.

It was used mainly for desktop publishing work. I helped a friend of mine lay out a tattoo zine, and another friend who wanted to start a hip hop magazine. I worked four months designing the premiere issue of the hip hop magazine before I experienced a computer crash that wiped out my working files and I had to start all over. To this day, I'm fanatical about backing up.

I have very fond memories of that first Mac :)
  • TymeMasterTymeMaster Member Posts: 527
    The real brain behind Apple was Steve Wozniak
    TymeMaster said:

Still a wally, though. I was talking to Bil Herd (designer of the 128) on Facebook and I asked him what Steve Wozniak was like... without being rude he mentioned that he went off him after a quote that went something like "Apple changed the world".

He was referring to the Apple II, which they claimed was the most successful home computer of all time... at the time that the C64 was outselling it 4 to 1.

The C64 is STILL the most successful computer of all time and not a single model as sold as many since!!!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    POLYGAMe said:

The C64 is STILL the most successful computer of all time and not a single model as sold as many since!!!

I'd buy that. I remember when i was young thats all we had in the house. Like 3 of them. I bet if i dug around they are still in my moms attic somewhere. Wonder if they worth $$$ now. lol
    They aren't worth a heap. They are still pretty common. Millions of the were made.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    TymeMaster said:

I think there is a lot of truth to that, but I don't think Woz would have ever gotten very far without Jobs. It seemed to have been a fortuitous partnership.

I've often wondered if Lennon and McCartney had never met, would either have been successful?
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    design219 said:
    I've often wondered if Lennon and McCartney had never met, would either have been successful?

That's an interesting idea!

I think to have *everything* you need for success in one person is really difficult. Partnerships like the Jobs/Wozniak one, Lennon/McCartney, Laurel and Hardy, Morecombe and Wise, etc etc seem magnify the talents of one with the other.

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

I agree completely that the C=64 was far better than the Apple II. If you watch all the geek shows, you will notice that Commodore is rarely mentioned even though with the C64 and later the Amiga, they had the BEST personal computers in the world. BAR NONE, they were WAY ahead of IBM and Apple. The machine had the BEST sound, BEST graphics, TRUE MULTITASKING, BEST HARDWARE, you name it. In fact, PC's of today have finally caught up to the Amiga, it only took them 15 years!

What Commodore didn't have was honest executives (they robbed the company) and competent sales. Had they remained in business, Amiga would be the leader right now even ahead of SGI back in the day.
    Here is a SAD day:

A good series to see:

• ShpintShpint Member Posts: 404
    I like Apple products, but I don't really like Steve Jobs.
    If only Bill Gates was the owner of Apple Inc.. hmmmmm