How much would you need to make to be happy?

peachpellenpeachpellen Member Posts: 977
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
The title more or less says it all.

I don't necessarily mean happy in the sense of being fabulously wealthy; what I mean is how much per day/week/month would you need to make from your apps in order to feel as though you were successful?

I've been thinking about it a lot while working on my own one-week game challenge; and to be honest I'm really not sure.

Initially I thought that $10 a day would make me pretty happy, at least for the short term while I'm still relatively new at the whole "app thing" - but now, looking to the future, I think my goals are as follows;

In 6 months: $20 per day
In 9 months: $30 per day
In 12 months: $50 per day

Until 6 months are up I'm just hoping for whatever I can get, but $10+ days make me happy :)

Obviously eventually when I hope to have a dozen or more good quality games out there my goals are greater than that, but as a starting point this seems quite decent to me.

I'd be really interested to know other peoples financial goals as well.

Also - it would help if you specified why they were your goals; like if you're still a kid and you want to save up for your first car, if you're an adult wanting to quit your day job, etc.

On that note, I'm just hoping to make enough that I can quit being a webmaster (it drives me mad), do a slightly better job of supporting my partner and finally pay to fix the roof here - it only had two tiny holes last week, but now there are three and I suspect one of them may be growing....

Comments

• BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    I have a deal with my wife...I can quit my full-time job if I make $30k in any single month. That would basically require me to get 1 app into the top 30-20 overall, or multiple apps into the top 100+ in a single month. We figure that once you hit that level, the sales will start to diminish, but I think a couple hundred bucks a day would be sustainable long term.

So, my "Goal" is average $1,000/day for at least a 30 day period, and then $200-$300/day after that. I've hit over $100 for multiple days in a row, and it feels nice, but that's only $36,500/year...
  • victorkin11victorkin11 Member Posts: 251
    I just submit my first games last week, I spend 4 week to finish this games, and I expect it sales total $3000 to be ok. under that amount, it is Failure, over that amount, it is success!
  • peachpellenpeachpellen Member Posts: 977
    That's still great BarkBark - $36.5k a year might not be rich but it's still very decent.

Tshirtbooth - I think that could easily happen for you in time, you've got the skills, you just need the luck and a little extra Apple love ^-^;
  • Peter_OlafsonPeter_Olafson Member Posts: 301
    I'd kill to make 10 dollars a day. :-/

But I'd like to make my current salary each year.
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    $250 per second

-- Bill Gates
  • FetaboyFetaboy Member, PRO Posts: 191
    $500/day on a steady basis spread throughout a bunch of apps, not a one hit wonder.
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    I see a lot of people keep their hopes high which makes me hope for more :D
    But today I make 9-12$ a day, and I believe it is not enough for all this effort..
    If I make something like 50-60$ a day, it will be more than enough..
    If I would ever win more than 150$ a day, I wouldn't even login to this forums anymore and I would consider myself as "rich" :D
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    The richest man on earth can spend $1000 per minute for 100 years until he is broke

That is how much money I want to make!
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    I'd spend it all at once on a spaceship capable of planet annihilation.
  • TaidakenTaidaken Member Posts: 271
    POLYGAMe said:
    I'd spend it all at once on a spaceship capable of planet annihilation.

thats like... awesome.. but i think for myself, making enough to simply pay off my bills and pay for a home would be nice :D, and get my partner the things she wants.
  • jweaver911jweaver911 Member Posts: 439
    I would rather get paid by Apple in either Beef Jerky or Bacon.

....Hehe. or just getting a check from them will be cool too.
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    I'd be happy with 10k for 1 app in 2 weeks time. I could care less if it dropped off the charts after that.
  • TymeMasterTymeMaster Member Posts: 527
    To quit my real job and maintain the same standard of living self employed, I would need about $700 a day (3500 a week)
    I'd like the 4.5k a week I used to earn (NZ dollars), but those days are LONG gone. WAAAAAAAH!!!!! AND I BLEW IT ALL!!!!!
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    TymeMaster said:
    To quit my real job and maintain the same standard of living self employed, I would need about $700 a day (3500 a week)

what do you do?
  • UtopianGamesLtdUtopianGamesLtd Member Posts: 120
    I'd like around $150 a day (£100) to be happy and consider myself a success.

The reality is it all comes down to 3 things...make a great game, hope apple will feature and be a marketing expert.

Darren.
  • TaidakenTaidaken Member Posts: 271
    POLYGAMe said:
    I'd like the 4.5k a week I used to earn (NZ dollars), but those days are LONG gone. WAAAAAAAH!!!!! AND I BLEW IT ALL!!!!!

reminds me of a movie called fame... and a similar movie called... fame... ah not really.. hmm thats quite alot of money!, i barely make 550-600 a week, and i work my ass off lol
    Taidaken said:
    reminds me of a movie called fame... and a similar movie called... fame... ah not really.. hmm thats quite alot of money!, i barely make 550-600 a week, and i work my ass off lol

All I had to do was lie for a living! LOL.