Well I bit the bullet and went pro

TymeMasterTymeMaster Member Posts: 527
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
Pro Unity 3D and iPhone Advanced, will get Android too shortly.

I've been evaluating both (GameSalad Pro and Unity Pro), and I decided on Unity Pro. I will still mess around with Game Salad, but I will not be going pro with it. Basically I think Game Salad 99 version is nice, but pro is way overpriced and limited (does not have all the functionality of Unity). I did it today because 3.0 will be out soon, and when its out the cost goes up. So now, my wallet is $2100 lighter lol. (only 2100 because I already owned iPhone Basic plus got a discount for buying Unity Indie before it was free).

Comments

• TymeMasterTymeMaster Member Posts: 527
    I'll still have the $99 version :)
    It's a no brainer to pay $99 for Game Salad! It was the pro version that doesn't look pretty. So I figured well I can do 2D with either $99 GS, or Unity 3D Pro (if I don't want the GS logo).

I've been using U3 beta and it is real nice! I look forward to the GS update too, the 99 buck one. If pro was like $500, it would be a no brainer, but a 2D engine without scripting capability will never be worth 2k for me.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Oh wow, this post is like a huge insult to Gendai Games. I was getting ready to congratulate someone, for bravery and courage. Instead... you went with Unity. Unfortunately, that community is more far along. I'm not really interested in 3D games though. I like 2D games on portable systems. 3D would likely give me motion sickness.
    Not really Photics, Gendai should be interested as to why they lost a pro sale. I'm still a customer, just not pro thats all. But I think they should change their pricing to bring it in line with reality considering it doesn't offer even a fraction of what the other engines do at that price (> 2k).

If they sold pro for $500, I would buy it tomorrow! Even if all it did was remove the GS logo and allow URL linking.

By the way, you can do 2D games with Unity 3D. Zombieville USA, Skee Ball, and Doodle Bowling are examples. It's as easy as creating a single plane in the X/Y axis and render textures to it. In fact, when you use XCode and OpenGL, that's how you do 2D, its also how Cocos2D works :)

What I like about GS is the raw speed at which you can get a 2D game up and running.

http://unity3d.com/gallery/game-list/
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    TymeMaster said:
    If they sold pro for $500, I would buy it tomorrow! Even if all it did was remove the GS logo and allow URL linking.

Well, there's the message for them to read. I even made it bold. I imagine a lot of people here would become Pro subscribers at $500 per year. At that level, Gendai Games would pretty much ensure Pro renewals and bring in new customers.

I too think Gendai Games is making a mistake by charging too much for Pro.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    Be sure to let us know when you get a game on the app store.
  • peachpellenpeachpellen Member Posts: 977
    design219 said:

Ditto.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    design219 said:

+1

I would also go pro for $500 tomorrow, at the moment, no way would i even contemplate it