0.6 buggin out

jmrsoundjmrsound Member Posts: 6
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I've been playing around with Gamesalad for awhile now. Although as soon as I updated to 0.6, it's just been crashing and then not letting me load up my projects anymore. When I do get to load up my projects everything in them in completely gone.

I start a new project to try and rebuild, but then nothing new works. I get no player movement, nothing for anything. I'm not trying to rant or anything, but it's almost unusable for me right now. Anyone else having similar problems?

Comments

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    Hey fraud182,
    Sorry to hear you are having issues. What are your OS, processor, and other relavant system info?
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    I had a complete file loss yesterday... about 4 hours work. I was just working along and suddenly nothing... actors, etc. wouldn't show up. I was able to open previous saves, but this latest file was just void. I restarted, trashed and re-downloaded gamesalad, rebuilt permissions, and the file is still empty. It will open, and even ask me to save, but there is absolutely nothing there.

(OSX 10.5.8 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB ram)

I'm rebuilding to where I was this morning... but will start saving versions more often now.
  • jmrsoundjmrsound Member Posts: 6
    Hey okay here is some of my info, I will mention I was later able to rebuild a lot of what I had. However, I did have the bug completely ruin my first build and then ruin the first rebuild I tried to do. Anyways, here ya go.

Processor: 2 Ghz intel core 2 duo
    Ram: 2 Gb
    and I just run off a regular white macbook.

I believe the reason I had problems was I had to tried to add bullet animations and effects to my character. Once I did that with both projects, it would immediately make everything disappear. I've since gotten it to work.
    Whoa, this is getting bad!!!

Any way to download and install the pre .6 version? SERIOUSLY!

It's starting to corrupt every few minutes. I can't continue like this.
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    We're looking into it. If you can help us out by giving us any details on how to reproduce this issue, like what was in the projects, were the projects saved in v0.5.0? Thanks.

Apple still has 0.5.0 on their links.
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/gamesaladcreator.html
    The projects in question were not saved in v.5. I just had problems with new work created in v.6. I could actually open the earlier work just fine with apparently no problems, but then I didn't spend any time doing anything with the older work in v.6.

It seems like a weird display issue. Yesterday, the new job just had about 8 actors and very few behaviors so far. Just simple PNGs and a couple with no graphics. It was working as intended and suddenly the entire gamesalad window went white. I couldn't see the scenes, actors, anything. As mentioned, I could open older files and could see everything fine. I did, however, copy a few behaviors from previous versions and pasted into the new one.

Today, I started rebuilding from scratch and it started weirding out again after about 30 minutes with the first sign being a strange display in preview of the game showing fragmented bits of the main menu bar inside the preview area. Soon after, the entire thing was gone again. Couldn't see anything in the gamesalad window. The computer was not affected, and I could close and open previous files. It was just a total corruption of that particular gamesalad file. I was saving versions today and could go back a version and after a few minutes, the same thing would happen. Again, I had copied and pasted a couple behaviors from previous versions.

I hope this helps.
  • Fafnir312Fafnir312 Member Posts: 161
    Ah, pasting from one project to another is not supported and WILL WIPE YOUR FILE! I had it happen to me in 0.5.

Since GameSalad is still in beta I continually save backups. My current project is up to backup 34 :P
    Hmmmm. I have been saving versions, but didn't know you couldn't paste behaviors.

Anybody else think that is the problem, or had that happen?
  • dazhaywarddazhayward Member Posts: 3
    Same issue here. Saved my project as usual, opened up GS later, and my project opened to a blank window. My project had about 100 simple rules for each of 3 actors. Looks like the stuff is still in the project package using Show Package Contents.

I had never saved a separate version.

Won't happen again!
  • GSmilesGSmiles Member Posts: 2
    This is happening to me and I'm now on 0.8.3 beta, the current version. Sometimes it won't return from the preview window (the preview will stay there, unresponsive, while some of the surrounding interface changes, but is also unresponsive). It got to the point where I lost an entire file because it closed and will now stay blank when it opens. Any improvements to this issue would be great. It's getting a little bit frustrating having to start over so many times....
  • adadoadado Member Posts: 219
    How much RAM do you have in your machine? Also, how large/complex has your project become? Finally, do you have a ton of other apps running at the same time?
  • GSmilesGSmiles Member Posts: 2
    I have a less-than-a-year-old maxed out Unibody MacBook, so I have over 4gb's. The only other app I recall having open was Safari, and the project wasn't complex at all. To give you a reference, it actually happened multiple times to me while looking at FireMapleGames' volume slider project, and that froze and bugged up. So I'm not sure what the issue is...