GameSalad Shut Down My PC

PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
If not for GameSalad, my Mac Mini would likely be a $600 dust collector... nothing more than a sophisticated paper weight. I probably wouldn't even use it for that. But after creating three successful iPad apps, I decided to renew my iPhone developer registration.

In doing so, I realized that I didn't want to hop back-and-forth between my Mac and PC. So, today I created a list of software that I used. You can see the list at my site...

http://photics.com/windows-pc-to-mac-mini-the-single-desktop-quest

...after reviewing the list, I realized that I don't need to use my PC. I can move all my favorite software to the Mac - or find suitable replacements. Today, I shut down my PC and started working from my Mac. It's really quiet in my office.

So, without GameSalad, I wouldn't be using my Mac. If I wasn't using my Mac, I wouldn't be making it my main desktop computer. If my Mac Mini wasn't my main desktop computer, my PC would be on. Therefore - GameSalad Shut Down My PC!

No need to fill out a bug report, I think it's a feature.

Comments

• ShpintShpint Member Posts: 404
    I like the way you "proof" how GameSalad shut down your PC mathematically. :)
    +1
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    Every time a PC shuts down - an angel gets his wings.
  • reddotincreddotinc Member Posts: 653
    SingleSparq said:

+1
  • TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Member Posts: 1,162
    Weeell actually Gamesalad shuts down my Mac...literally. Sometimes it just does a harsh crash and I get the horizontal black wipe-down of death...not fun :(
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    SingleSparq said:
    +1

well said!

@Photics the quiet no buzzing atmosphere is great! and mac mini's are little workhorses...
    " it's a feature" ... that is precious!

MH
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    I LOVE my Mac Mini. Bought it for $400 Australian. It's just an Intel CoreSolo 1.5 but it's fantastic for everything I need it for... MAME, various other emulators, writing... and of course, GAMESALAD! :-)
  • UtopianGamesLtdUtopianGamesLtd Member Posts: 120
    Shizane said:
    Weeell actually Gamesalad shuts down my Mac...literally. Sometimes it just does a harsh crash and I get the horizontal black wipe-down of death...not fun :(

Yes same here, happens more often when i download templates and try and run them.

Darren.
  • TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Member Posts: 1,162
    Actually me too...o
    UtopianGamesLtd said:
    Yes same here, happens more often when i download templates and try and run them.

Darren.

Actually me too, and playing them in Safari.
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    I love mac just as much as anyone else, but some things just can't be done on mac. A great solution is to use BootCamp.
  • AppChogieAppChogie Member Posts: 503
    This happened to me last night I spent an hour on a tutorial demo for pumpkins didn't save now remaking it!
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    Mr.Rinoy said:
    I love mac just as much as anyone else, but some things just can't be done on mac. A great solution is to use BootCamp.

Like what? I used to have bootcamp partitions but stopped using windows at home altogether about 2 years ago.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    StusApps said:
    Like what?

Well, I can't run the GPU client for folding@home. That's about the only thing I can't seem to run on a Mac... that I actually care about running.

http://photics.com/photics-team

I have a top 1000 team. I don't like being #2 on my own team. My Mac Mini has a CUDA NVIDIA GPU, which should be awesome for folding. (Using the GPU for folding is much MUCH faster than CPU.) But unfortunately, I can't seem to get GPU folding to run on my Mac Mini. I've tried bootcamp and virtualization...

http://photics.com/installing-windows-on-my-mac-mini

...but that didn't work.
  • DevilsDevils Member Posts: 561
    I like mac but I'm still a PC at heart. I build my own it cost me about $3000 and it's a beast.
    Here's an update on this story...
    http://photics.com/one-week-later-hows-mac-life

Switching to Mac has been pretty good. There are only a few issues left.

For example... Halo for Mac – wow – $100 used?! That's absurd. If Halo for Mac is $100 used... but only $20 New for the PC... it shows the sorry state of gaming on the Mac. I think that's another reason why I like GameSalad. I can make Mac Desktop games with GameSalad. Maybe GameSalad can be used to improve the Mac gaming scene.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Yeah, Gaming for the MAC isn't that great, and sometimes I'll see a PC game I wish I could try.

But having a Mac wipes away all the other issues I had with PC's. I too dumped my PC, and love the Mac!
  • jweaver911jweaver911 Member Posts: 439
    Just installed Windows 7 via bootcamp in hopes of getting my Battlefield BC:2 back on (Since my xbox360 is no more/never will be) and I have to say, as much as Microsloth tries to jazz up their OS... It still feels/looks like a toy.

And, Yes... I'm successfully rockin' the battlefields :) Fun fun! However, I do feel a little guilty having tainted my mac rig with such unclean software.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    have you looked at getting Parallels? Supposedly 6.0 runs 3D games in a window fantastically.
    jonmulcahy said:
    have you looked at getting Parallels? Supposedly 6.0 runs 3D games in a window fantastically.

I have Fusion, but I don't like virtualization / emulation. Even after I upgrade the RAM, that's still not a lot of space for running two operating systems simultaneously. Although, I am considering an investigation into Wine.
  • jweaver911jweaver911 Member Posts: 439
    I haven't tried the newest version of parallels, but I tried running Source engine games on it a few years ago and got terrible results versus bootcamp'n it. Also tried crossover games(which is a wine) and got better results than parallels, however still not as good as running through straight windows.
  • shuttercraftshuttercraft Member Posts: 39
    *grabs popcorn and sits back to watch the mac vs pc wars start"
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    shuttercraft said:
    *grabs popcorn and sits back to watch the mac vs pc wars start"

They ended two weeks ago ;-)