How to create a website for non-web designers

butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I was looking at various places where they have website templates, I have already purchased a domain name, and wanted to know perhaps where to begin, or what people have used in terms of building a website that is very user friendly

Comments

• CorellaCorella Member Posts: 37
    iWeb would be a good option for making a basic site, and is about as user-friendly as you can get. Plus you can host it easily on mobile me, or upload it via ftp to a hosting solution of your choice.

Some great tutorials can be seen at: http://iwebfaq.org/site/iWeb_FAQ.html
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Thanks Corella I'll take a look! :)
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    I got tired of being constrained by website editors like iweb, frontpage (go forbid!), etc. and didn't want to remortgage my home to buy dreamweaver so I bought a book by "Head First" on HTML and CSS for about $35 and it made it surprisingly easy to create a website with textedit and a graphics program like photoshop (or pixen or gimp etc.). When I bouhgt the book I knew nothing about web design and I'm still no pro but you can see the results here:

www.sciTunes.com or www.tenspeedtaxi.com

It took a little bit of time but the book made it fun to learn and now I actually understand how websites work which makes troubleshooting way easier than when you depend on a program to do it for you and then it doesn't do it quite the way you wanted.

just a thought.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I usually design my own websites, but for my gamesalad games I needed something quick, so I just installed Wordpress and some plugins:

http://www.howihatethenight.com

Was very easy to setup, took less than an hour.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Great job on your site scitunes looks awesome!

Mulcahy, yours sounds the easiest in terms of what I need right now, so how did you create yours again? Using wordpress and where did you get the plugins?

Basically, I have a domain-name so can I use wordpress with that domain name to create a site?

Sorry I'm absolutely clueless about web design!
  • SnowleapordSnowleapord Member Posts: 77
    I use webs mostly. You get forums and blogs ect. It's really awesome!!!
    Www.webs.com
  • davnielidavnieli Member Posts: 18
    theres lots out there if u want to make a nice looking one u should try dreamweaver. its made by adobe very good website creator.
  • foxnettfoxnett Member Posts: 47
    I used wordpress for my webpage.
    Is free and easy to use
    www.foxnett.com
  • SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    mulcahy your site looks very good... could you give us some more hints on these plugins?
  • scorelessmusicscorelessmusic Member Posts: 565
    Using wordpress from scratch (like getting it from wordpress.org, then setting it up, setting up the SQL part etc) might be intimidating for most. (Trust me, I did it before ^_^)

For me, I'm fortunate to have a domain name and web-hosting package. I can login via a web 'control panel' and in that control panel is a Fantastico De Luxe feature that does all the installation and arcane stuff for me.

I used it and installed wordpress and then logged into the wordpress installation and added a theme that most suited my needs.

There are many good places to source for wordpress themes. I highly recommend people go to http://smashingmagazine.com and check the Freebies section there. And read the great articles there too!

Using the ImpreZZ theme, I managed to set up my website http://www.apptreats.com in half a day with features like:
    - a twitter box that shows my latest tweet
    - an iPhone-friendly layout if it detects that you're surfing from an iPhone (or mobile)
    --- give it a try, view the site from your desktop and on your phone
    --- some of my (heathen) friends surfed from their Android phones and laughed ^_^
    ok, here is what I did:

bought a domain - I use godaddy, I've been using them for about 8 years now.
    got it hosted - I use site5.com, I've been using them for years, but you can use anyone you want.

Install WordPress - site5 uses a neat little utility called Fantastico, most webhosts have it. That installed WordPress automatically for me. WordPress also has pretty easy manual install directions.

Once WordPress was installed, I went about configuring it how I want. Right from the admin page you can search for themes, widgets and plugins. I found a theme I liked and installed it. For the plugins, you just click on the plugins section and then click on Add New. It gives you a search field where you can search for any plugin, read ratings and install. It's very easy.

Contact Form 7 - I used this to create the contact form on my page
    Google Analyticator - Allowed me to hook my page into Google Analytics
    Really Simple CAPTCHA - Needed by Contact Form 7 to enable the CAPTCHA on the contact form page
    Twitter Widget Pro - shows the twitter stuff on the left hand side
    WPtouch iPhone Theme - automatically creates a mobile version of the site, visit my page http://www.howihatethenight.com from your iphone to check it out

That's really it. The rest was just going through all the configuration pages to set it up how I wanted.
  • matthewadavidmatthewadavid Member Posts: 26
    I use dot net nuke hosted at PowerDNN.com. Only $20 month. In three hours I had forums, blogs, surveys and more.