GameSalad 1.0?

PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
Perhaps the reason Gendai Games is taking so long to release the next update because the software is going to be taken out of beta.

Is there a huge difference between 1.0 and 0.9?
-- No, not really.

Is the software being sold like a beta?
-- $1999 per year for Pro suggests no.

Is the term 'beta' hurting their sales?
-- One of the arguments against Pro is that the software is still beta. Another issue is that it's harder to promote beta software, which might hinder sales.

Maybe they're waiting for perfection?
-- Unlikely, most software at 1.0 is fairly limited. I didn't use Photoshop 1.0, Flash 1.0, Windows 1.0, Mac OS 1.0, iOS 1.0 or many other 1.0 versions of software.

Many of their competitors are no longer in beta.
-- Unity version 3, Corona, Appcelerator

The software is pretty good.
-- With the memory leak fixed, pause put back in and performance improved, I think it's a pretty good 1.0 SDK.

The next update is supposed to be "big".
-- The difference to 0.8.9 to 0.9 doesn't suggest big.

Gendai Games is secretive.
-- If the software was coming out of beta, would they tell the community?

...and then there's this thread...
http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=11115

...and there's the money men.
-- If you just spent $1,000,000 on beta software, would you want it to stay beta for much longer?

It seems that GameSalad could be leaving beta with the next update, which would explain the high level of secrecy and long delay since the last update.

Comments

• rickynikorickyniko Member Posts: 85
    Perhaps, but, it is still very annoying that we where told it was coming a while ago and we're still waiting, i read about it in 'The Big Picture - August' and we're just shy of october and still no update.

But lets hope that the wait was worth it, i have a game on the shelf waiting for this update.
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    Sorry, Photics. I added a ? to the end of your title, so not as to confuse or excite anyone with a release version that's not out yet.

I hate version numbers myself, especially year designations like iLife '09 and Office 2008. Makes my installs seem sooooo old, even though they're very useful. That, plus, I'm always a version number freak when it came to Windows Mobile and BlackBerry OS builds - every device had a slightly different subversion number and I always thought I was always missing out on something.
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    Lets hope that 1.0 will be coming soon....
    As long as it is a good update I don't really care what version number it is! :P
  • victorkin11victorkin11 Member Posts: 251
    I found that I have no mood to developing any new games, because we know there is a new update coming, we want to know what we can do next, but we do not know when the update!
  • NederBrosNederBros Member Posts: 13
    Is 1.0 supposed to be any more expensive? I haven't started paying yet, thinking "i'll wait till i see the full gamesalad" maybe I should start now.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    NederBros said:
    Is 1.0 supposed to be any more expensive? I haven't started paying yet, thinking "i'll wait till i see the full gamesalad" maybe I should start now.

If you're thinking about the "Express" version of GameSalad, I don't see the sense in waiting... unless your games aren't good enough to make money. A really good game could easily make $99 in a day. GameSalad games have been put together in less than 24 hours. While that is an extreme scenario, it shows that it doesn't make economical sense to wait... not if your games are good and GameSalad works for the game's design. You could be making money with GameSalad instead of waiting.

As for Pro, that might be a risk. I'm waiting to upgrade to Pro. From what I've read on this site, there was a Christmas sale last year. Also, there's lots of speculation that the price of Pro might drop. I am not aware of an official response from Gendai Games that confirm or deny those rumors.