Is this enlightenment?

2»

Comments

• TymeMasterTymeMaster Member Posts: 527
    tenrdrmer said:
    OMG do you not realize how young some the developers on GS are they are like 14 or 15 barely starting HighSchool and they are making your precious $1000 a month already. Don't hate everyone just because you couldn't do it at 20.

Grow up and knock off this "hate" BS. I am telling the truth. I was doing more at 20 than you will do in a lifetime, that I promise you.
    peachpellen said:

The truth you stated isn't a definite truth; I am independent, I am self employed, I don't work more than 50 hours a week unless I'm really into what I'm doing and I've spent zero years working for anyone but myself.

You are not a success though. I am talking about people with success, anyone can be self employed. Come on now, seriously, look at all your apps? They are all ranked low, keep on dreaming though.

You have no life experience yet, you're only 21! I'm over 50, been there, and done that.
    Taidaken said:
    exactly what is your standard of living, because 75k a year would be awesome!! i barely make 30k a year and thats working 60+hours a week. and im maintaining quite a nice lifestyle, at the

I make far more than 75K. I used 75K as a number because that is the low end of what a "software developer"/ programmer makes.
  • peachpellenpeachpellen Member Posts: 977
    Christ man, I thought you were just making a misguided attempt at being helpful, but you're just acting like a total ass :S

You come across as a genuinely horrible person - I mean honestly, I say apps are a hobby and it'd be nice to eventually build up a little bit of extra cash from them - and you state "keep dreaming" and have a little whinge about how my apps aren't ranking well. It's just mean spirited - and ridiculous, given that I've already explained to you twice in one day, now three times, that this is NOT my job. This is NOT my source of income. It's a hobby at which I'm making a little extra cash and that's it.

As to whether or not I'm a success - if you measure success purely by how much money a person has then no, I'm not - and I have no problem with that, because people who judge others based on some obsession with material things only do so as they don't understand there are more important things out there.

As to life experience; you have NO idea on that front and have zero right to decide that simply because you're a senior you know everything about everyone; you don't.

Why on earth, besides possible narcissistic tendencies, would you believe yourself to be omnipotent? Especially on things you could not possibly know anything about? It isn't even like you've got good observation skills; I've had to repeat multiple times apps are a hobby and yet you STILL say; "Your apps rank badly. Keep dreaming."

Given the fact you haven't actually created a single app with GS and increasingly often act like a complete asshole in a place where everyone else makes an effort, I've got to ask, why are you here exactly?

Typically people this negative are either trolls or deeply troubled - I don't see quite what you get out of behaving in such a pointless way.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Hey mikey, has the medication worn off already?

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

@Peaches You think what you want, if you seriously think anything you have put out is worth even a dime, you're delusional. And thats right, at 21 you have no life experience to draw upon, you're just a snotty, lazy kid. The only positive reviews you have were harvested from this forum or yourself, even one of the reviewers noticed it (and then you changed your name). Your lack of success does mean something, you are trying to contribute to a thread related to success, yet you lack it :D

@QS - Your meds wore off?
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    @TymeMaster: Why do you say that being independent and and making 20k a year is similar to 12k when employed somewhere? Just out of curiosity from somebody who plans on being self employed.

@Chaser: Can you refer me to a game that is on par with FMG's, Utopians, and T-Shirt's that hasn't even been a moderate success? Kill the King still generates a pretty nice daily revenue for me, so I really don't see it happening.

However, I understand success is relative (as made apparent by the TymeMaster/Peach argument :p), so let's put it into concrete GS-comparable terms. What great app has not been able to generate at least 15$ a day on average?
    Eastbound said:
    @TymeMaster: Why do you say that being independent and and making 20k a year is similar to 12k when employed somewhere? Just out of curiosity from somebody who plans on being self employed.

Taxes. You would need to earn 20k to "net" the same pay you have when employed at 12k. They normally suggest you double your salary, but at 12k someone is barely paying 10% anyway, so I left it at 20. Also double includes insurance and other benefits. For example, if your employer pays you 12k, it really cost him around 20k to employ you and give benefits (less if he has a large amount of employees)
    @Eastbound - I hope everyone here is a success, but being a realist you know that is not possible. And you ask ANY successful businessman how much he works, and you will find out its much more than 40 hours a week. Sure if he is rich after xx years, then he works less, but to get rich you bust your ass. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a simpleton really :)
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    tshirtbooth said:
    That is true I work 16hrs a day 6 days a weeks at my games. It's a tuff gig but I hope to hit the big one some day.

If anyone will Tshirt, it will be YOU! :)

It's definitely not an easy gig, and when you work from home, it has its perks, but you definitely work longer hours, than if you had a day job :)
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    Eastbound

@Chaser: Can you refer me to a game that is on par with FMG's, Utopians, and T-Shirt's that hasn't even been a moderate success? Kill the King still generates a pretty nice daily revenue for me, so I really don't see it happening.

However, I understand success is relative (as made apparent by the TymeMaster/Peach argument :p), so let's put it into concrete GS-comparable terms. What great app has not been able to generate at least 15$ a day on average?

In no way do I say any other games are not successful $15 a day heck I think that's great but what I mention the lottery of featured front page and the sales that come with it. Personally I think Phasers is a great game, did it win the lottery? No! Are more games from here worthy? Of course but until apple quits putting pimple popping apps in featured we won't get that chance
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    My 2nd app (Animal Sounds HD) I invested $0 and I made over $1000 on it the first two weeks after it's release. I don't think this one was good at all and it only took me a couple of hours, but it managed to get some money somehow.

Your app just has to be simple, somewhat original, simple/appealing icon, great screenshots, and a low price and it will then find it's place in the market

I don't even look at my daily reports anymore, they've been constant sales for a long time now. But I'm not trying to make a living off of this, I am only 14 and just trying to do something cool :) But even though its fun I can still get really stressed out sometimes

The creator of trism had a job, and was doing trism on his spare time. When trism made it to the top that's when he found out he could quit his job. I recommend you get a new job and go that path.
    tshirtbooth said:
    That is true I work 16hrs a day 6 days a weeks at my games. It's a tuff gig but I hope to hit the big one some day.

With that kind of dedication I am sure you will. I don't think you ever sleep :D
  • UPUP Member Posts: 70
    I'm sorry for interrupting this wonderful conversation with the following service announcement directed to my 'fellow senior citizen'…

@Tymemaster (yes, I also read through some more of your comments in other threads)

For a 'grown up' with 50 years of 'life experience' you seem to forget those are human beings around you. Individuals with their own share of happy & sad (on the forum people you don't even know personally, I assume).

But maybe you've been so focussed on your career, making lots of Bacon
    (that's what the kids call MONEY on the interwebs nowadays, crazy wouldn't you agree?!)
    that you simply didn't have the time to look around you a bit, where all the other people are.
    In which case one may easily miss a spot concerning social development.
    Things about tact and kindness to others for example, seriously you can see it all around you!!

I can't blame you though, we're all a product of our surroundings, and its a choice, for many, where to be in life, which is a beautiful privilege. But in the end, the question we want to ask ourselves; 'did I make the right choices? What DOES really matter'.. Is it owning a home,
    a 6 digit income and a bachelor's degree?? If one choses to do so, great, good for you..
    If one chooses to be happy with 'less' so to speak, great, good for you...
    (weird I just wrote the same thing twice?! huh, am I stoned or what!?!)

Find your balance.. be happy AND good to others...

Life experience does not solely come with age.. au contraire (that's French!),
    Age only gives one a little bit of extra time... to explore, see and learn.
    Some need more time to 'master' these things then others, to actually 'grow up'.

Now, how's that for an early Sunday morning church speech 'ey, feel free to share it with your religious leaders, whoever they may be!! :-)

Oh and last.. credits..
    If it means anything to you, cause somehow it seems..
    I'm waaaaayyy over 21 (cause, goddamn what a lame age that is!!), own a house, I also have kids, a big moustache and have been running a very successful business for several years, clients including many major worldwide brands etc.. (oohh please stop me I'm about to blow!!)

And by the way (real quick, cause I'm in a hurry!!) I also noticed the (business)world has evolved a lot over the years, things go faster and faster, and all WE do is getting older and older... Them youngsters, they just seem to get smarter and smarter, at an even younger age it seems.. to REALLY keep up with it is the hardest thing to do.. oh no wait, it's even harder to admit it :-P

Now if you'd excuse me, there's more important things on this planet, for instance,
    I have an anus to bleach... :-P

All the best to the friendly peeps :-)
    [UP]
    artonskyblue said:

I don't even look at my daily reports anymore, they've been constant sales for a long time now. But I'm not trying to make a living off of this, I am only 14 and just trying to do something cool :) But even though its fun I can still get really stressed out sometimes

The creator of trism had a job, and was doing trism on his spare time. When trism made it to the top that's when he found out he could quit his job. I recommend you get a new job and go that path.

See now you have the perfect attitude, especially for a 14 year old. I think its great that you're making money and learning how to develop games! And certainly the extra cash comes in handy for all that new stuff you want :) Everyone should do it, especially with software like Game Salad that makes it easy to get into the field and have some fun.

Clearly if you are working a real job, and the money you make selling games is enough to sustain your life as working does, then its time to consider quitting. But never count your chickens until the eggs hatch. As you suggested, another thing to do is change careers, and selling apps in the App store is going to get you down that path for sure. It proves that you have the dedication and skill (assuming your games are good).

Someone like you, or Weswog, is going to be seriously rich years from now.

Of course the smart guys, like tshirt, Orbz, and FMG are already ahead of us on their path to success. I don't think its all luck, these guys (gals?) have serious skills and are working their asses off to do this.
    UP said:

.... wall of text deleted

Just one question. What is your background in software development? I assume you have years under your belt to be making comments on what it takes to make money as a software developer. If you're just another fly by night "wanna get rich quick off this EASY iOS cool app stuff", then I will know what to do with your comments :)

Also, I find it sad that you don't push your kids to get educated and be the best they can be. I suppose, someone needs to run the McDonalds frier, it just won't be anyone in my family... We were raised to set our sights much higher thank you.

So if you (and peaches) want to assume that making 50 bucks a day is ROFLCOPTERAWESOME!?!1!!!@21111 Power to you man... I prefer to be living in the real world, I'm not a democrat living off society :)
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    Everyone,

Don't listen to the ramblings of the voices of "no", and "nay", and "it can't be done."

Listen to your heart. For all progress and success in the world has come from people who persist in living true to their dreams. The status quo, the ritual of slow waiting, is for the dead and dying.

- ORBZ

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

"They didn't know it was impossible, so they did it" - Mark Twain

"Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected." - Steve Jobs

"Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
    -- Plato

"People will judge you based on what you build; not what you destroy"
    -- Barack Obama
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    Nice ORBZ
    Oh sorry.. that's right, one can not reason with the unreasonable.. Silly me, why do I bother..

I obviously did not speak about software development as I didn't intent to comment on the original subject of the first poster, therefore I started my post with an apology etc, I thought it was clear.
    My only concern was you being rude to people in several cases, so I thought I'd point it out, pretty certain I'm not the only one not enjoying it very much.

I won't bother commenting on the absolutely ******** (edited by tshirt) assumptions you are now addressing towards me (as a father and businessman). I believe we have never met (?) and most definitely don't know each other, except from some forum posts, right?

[UP]
    Sorry Tshirt, didn't know the word was 'taboo'
    Thanks for the stars though :-)
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    @UP
    Did you ever know that you're my hero?
    You're everything I wish I could be.
    I could fly higher than an eagle,
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

I found this interesting:
    UP said:

And by the way (real quick, cause I'm in a hurry!!) I also noticed the (business)world has evolved a lot over the years, things go faster and faster, and all WE do is getting older and older... Them youngsters, they just seem to get smarter and smarter, at an even younger age it seems.. to REALLY keep up with it is the hardest thing to do.. oh no wait, it's even harder to admit it :-P

Some people can't keep up and are left wondering why they're not getting employed even though they have 'fantastic' experience. They resort to blaming others for their ills and not adapting rather than realising that *they're* the problem, not the rest of the world.

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

Just to be sure you all understand.. My post was a mix of 87% truth, 13% sarcasm...
    I do like sheep though.. and I DO currently wear a moustache... it's absolutely ridiculous. :-D

@Tshirt : would 'menta… Chal…' have scored me any stars?
    Can we be done already? I thought my "thread curse" would have killed this already. Guess somebody removed the curse from my finger. No pun intended!
    Great! Thanks T!
    OK, I'm done, sorry Chaser....

-GROUPHUG- (Voilà, let's all be friends and make out :-D)

[UP]
    All together now!
    We're all fine!
    We're all great!
    Who do we appreciate?
    GAME SALAD!!!!!!!!
    Especially when the update shows up Thursday! Please!
This discussion has been closed.