Who develops for another device?

peachpellenpeachpellen Member Posts: 977
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
I've been taking a little interest in Android - I haven't done anything about it - but I'd really like to hear from anyone here who develops for another platform, besides computers of course ;)

I'm interested in all mobile devices, but especially Android - how sales compare to the iPhone/iPad, how profit is shared and which device you use for testing.

This is largely just out of interest, but obviously if I ever get serious about Android it would be good to know what I'm getting myself into :)

Comments

• JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I am actually working on a title that will be on android.

It's still a few moths out. There is some video on my site robotsvswizards.com

But, It's not a matter of what you're getting into with android.

It's a matter of what you are getting into with the engine you are using.

Nothing is as easy as game salad.

I think I can safely say in a non gs game I have spent as much time coding a part of the HUD as I do an entire gs game. Lol no joke either.

For me there was alot in Xcode to learn.

It's easy to really take that whole part for granted. Especially if you want game center or iads or any of that.

In short if you want to make an android app and assuming you want that app for iPhone as well you have to learn 3 things that are all a little more complicated than gs.
    1 a new engine
    2 compile in Xcode
    3 compile for android.

I'm not trying to discourage you. More just pointing there is a fair amoun to learn.

Other engines that boast drag and drop still require some knowledge of programming or you couldn't compile.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    peachpellen said:
    I've been taking a little interest in Android - I haven't done anything about it - but I'd really like to hear from anyone here who develops for another platform

I'm a registered Android Developer. You can read about my experiences at my website... http://photics.com/tag/android

I don't like Google. I'm slowly moving away from all of their services. Maybe I'll make Android apps again if GameSalad supports it, or if I find similar software that I like, but I had some bad experiences with Android.
  • peachpellenpeachpellen Member Posts: 977
    Thanks for the answers guys :)

James - I imagined it would be a lot harder than GS even with App Inventor - but I'm not afraid of learning a new coding language if it's worthwhile.

Photics - That's interesting to hear. I'll definitely have a look at your site, cheers :)