New Gendai Game Jobs

PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
A little trick I learned while running a Guild Wars fansite... if you want to see what a secretive gaming company is up to, see if they're hiring.

http://gendaigames.com/careers/

There are new job postings, so that's a good sign. Although, I was surprised by one of the jobs... Education & Technical Writing ...it's in Austin. Bah, why hasn't telecommuting caught on already? That's a good job. There are some other cool web development jobs. I'm not sure what's up with Los Angeles. If Gendai Games is in Austin, Texas... then what's going on in LA?

...and it makes me wonder... why is Gendai Games coming to New York? ...just to go to a comic convention where they're not exhibiting? ...and why isn't there more east coast gaming acting? It's mostly a bunch of boring financial jobs.

If I go tonight to Times Square, I can ask these questions in person.

Comments

• StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    haha, something tells me the job for Quality Assurance is perhaps the first time they have hired someone for this.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    StusApps said:
    haha, something tells me the job for Quality Assurance is perhaps the first time they have hired someone for this.

It seems like an OK job posting to me, what's wrong with it? Heh, but I've never hired a Quality Assurance person before, so I might not be able to notice.
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    Photics said:
    It seems like an OK job posting to me, what's wrong with it? Heh, but I've never hired a Quality Assurance person before, so I might not be able to notice.

no no, I meant from the perspective that QA has not been too obvious in releases of gamesalad so far.
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    Maybe they're coming up to give me five one-way tickets to Austin or LA. I'm sick of the tri-state area.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Hmmm.... well im going to hazard a guess that theyre opening an LA office for marketting/sales purposes as LA is much more of a center for games development/big publishers than Austin, and is seen as a more favorable location for investors or future clients.

I get the feeling that the future of GameSalad is no longer going to be quite so focused on "the rest of us" and will become more focused on selling a more robust/feature rich development environment to more serious development companies that have larger development spending budgets. Its how Unity make most of their money.... from corporate clients buying site licenses of the professional level version of the software.

Investors dont give two hoots about the little indie guy and his $99 investment.... they want the big fish, willing to spend big bucks. So theres a good chance that the whole Gendai eco-system is going to change now that theyre investor led.

Its just how business works....
    BeyondtheTech said:
    Maybe they're coming up to give me five one-way tickets to Austin or LA. I'm sick of the tri-state area.

Five tickets?!

...and I see you changed your avatar.

I think about leaving New York often, but there are problems everywhere. Texas... oil spills, hurricanes, tornadoes, hot weather, big bugs, big state. I think I would enjoy chatting with some right wing republicans, but I would likely be viewed as an outsider.

In New York, it's expensive out here... but life expectancy is the highest in the nation. There's lots to do. When it snows, it's usually plowed away by morning. Most of my friends and family live in the tri-state area. I'm also used to the fast pace of life here. I don't think I could slow down. I'd get bored or frustrated.

Property is cheap in Austin though...
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Austin_TX
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    Photics said:
    I think about leaving New York often, but there are problems everywhere. Texas... oil spills, hurricanes, tornadoes, hot weather, big bugs, big state. I think I would enjoy chatting with some right wing republicans, but I would likely be viewed as an outsider.

Have you been to Texas? All of the right wing republicans are in the tiny towns that you would most likely visit. While its true that the majority are conservative, there are a lot of liberals as well, especially around the major cities (Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio). In fact, Austin is the most liberal city in the state.

Not sure why I told you this, as it's pretty off topic. I just get tired of the Texas stereotypes, so try to dispel some when I can :p
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I just spent 5 years in LA

HATED IT!!!

Just dirty and dry. It's nothing like it's portrayed on TV. Even the palm trees and nasty and shaggy except maybe one row that they film for TV.

It's the only place on earth where the average person will actually ask you what you do for a living before they even know your name.

I'd much rather live in Texas any day.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Did you also know that Texas has the top 5 most fattest cities in America? Just a little Trivia from watching "Super Size Me" the other night :)
    JamesZeppelin said:
    I just spent 5 years in LA

HATED IT!!!

Just dirty and dry. It's nothing like it's portrayed on TV. Even the palm trees and nasty and shaggy except maybe one row that they film for TV.
    How about San Diego? California is the first alternate place my wife has even considered, and since her experience of Hurricane Andrew while living in Miami was a nightmare - not to mention Dateline NBC had a field day with pedophiles in Florida, that corner of the States is out of the question.
    Photics said:
    Five tickets?!
    Me, the wife, and three kids. I'm fully loaded.
    San Diego is GORGEOUS. Nuff said :)

And you're right, L.A is a DUMP
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    Austin is one of the fittest cities though. And we do not all wear cowboy hats and ride horses.
    CodeMonkey said:
    Austin is one of the fittest cities though. And we do not all wear cowboy hats and ride horses.

That's true! Austin is not far from the #1 fittest city, which is San Francisco :)
    Eastbound said:
    Have you been to Texas?
    Yes. I didn't like it. HA HA.
    Eastbound said:
    In fact, Austin is the most liberal city in the state.

Heh, there's another reason in the "Against" column. That is a bit of a surprise to me. Texas is not as conservative as I thought...

http://opencarry.org/tx.html

If I can't carry my guns out in the open, why relocate?! :-D
    Eastbound said:
    Not sure why I told you this, as it's pretty off topic. I just get tired of the Texas stereotypes, so try to dispel some when I can :p

Seriously, I didn't imagine Austin Texas as some shotgun carrying, cowboy hat wearing, republican nirvana. Well... maybe a little... ha ha. Big cities are usually more liberal.
    CodeMonkey said:

No cowboy hats?! I'm disappointed.

I did some reading on wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas ...and some misconceptions were cleared up. I thought Houston was the capital of Texas. It's not, Austin is the capital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin,_Texas
  • RattleheadRattlehead Member Posts: 485
    Do they accept Canadians down there?

While I don't own one at the moment, I could bring my own horse. My igloo might melt during the caravan ride down though...
  • TymeMasterTymeMaster Member Posts: 527
    There was only one good company from Texas, and that was Origin.
  • funkstreetfunkstreet Member Posts: 5
    TymeMaster said:

so gamesalad is not a good company?
  • chosenonestudioschosenonestudios Member Posts: 1,714
    Texas Instruments is from Texas.
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    TymeMaster said:

OMG, Origin... loved the Wing Commander and Ultima series, Moebius: The Orb of Celestial Harmony, Times of Lore, and so much more... What memories!
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    When I lived in Austin back in the 90's, I applied at Origin. Never heard back unfortunately, but their offices were cool! The lobby was plastered with Untima and Wing Commander posters, statues, etc.
    BeyondtheTech said:
    OMG, Origin... loved the Wing Commander and Ultima series, Moebius: The Orb of Celestial Harmony, Times of Lore, and so much more... What memories!

IMO, The Ultima series was THE BEST! In the series, U7 rocked :) Then of course, we have the very first successful MMO Ultima Online (had my account for 10 years).
    Oh, another good thing in Austin is the Bat bridge :D
  • RattleheadRattlehead Member Posts: 485
    Ahhh... Origin. The lamenting of the good ol' days when Electronic Arts were more interested in publishing good games (M.U.L.E, 7 Cities of Gold, Populous, Bards Tale) than boosting their bottom line with garbage titles or screwing over their employees.

*sniff*

Really brings a tear to my eye.

Why can't they bring back Wing Commander and give Mark Hamill his old role back. He isn't working on any more Joker voice-overs should he should have some spare time.
    EA did not control Origin back in the early days. EA today, as you said, puts out trash. It's also one of the worst places to work, and they pay peanuts.
    TymeMaster said:
    EA did not control Origin back in the early days. EA today, as you said, puts out trash. It's also one of the worst places to work, and they pay peanuts.

Yeah, and they weren't paying their employees overtime at one point! They had a huge lawsuit against them :) The epitome of corporate evil :)
    butterbean said:
    Yeah, and they weren't paying their employees overtime at one point! They had a huge lawsuit against them :) The epitome of corporate evil :)

Do a google for "EA SPOUSE" hehe
    NCsoft is in Austin Texas.
    http://www.ncsoft.com/en/jobs/austin.html

They try to make a convincing argument, but I still like New York better.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Think I'll stick with Auckland, New Zealand... our cops don't even need guns ;-)
    The Education & Technical Writing job is no longer posted at the Gendai Games website. I'm wondering what that means for the future of GameSalad.

Here's some speculation...

1) The GameSalad Team is making an official book. I noticed that there's usually a lot of hoopla when someone in the community does something extraordinary. However, I've not seen any official mention of the textbook... not on the main page... not on the blog... nothing. Perhaps they don't like it or view it in conflict with their own plans. Perhaps they hired their own writer and decided to do things on their own.

2) It was viewed as redundant. Maybe they really like the textbook... and videos by tshirtbooth / Weswog... and examples by Orbz... and felt this was an area that they could save money. They haven't been bringing in money since the GameSalad Direct® fiasco, so maybe the GameSalad team eliminated the position for elimination in order to save money.

----

I'm not sure what's going on. It is interesting to think about. I doubt that they're creating their own textbook. Heh, I think anyone who's interested in buying a book already has mine. So, what happened?

Meanwhile, I was recently contacted by a college to have my book available for their class. Somewhere in the world, there's a college bookstore that ordered multiple copies of my book. I think it's great that students will be meeting and discussing GameSalad — and my book is part of the conversation.

Education is an awesome angle for GameSalad. I think it's a phenomenal learning tool. That's probably the best way to promote the software and set it apart from the competitors in this market. I'm not sure what's going on, so that's why I checked. The position is not listed anymore. Something happened and it's an interesting mystery to me.