Save game state?

black_catblack_cat Member Posts: 4
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hello,
i wonder if there´s any chance to save the state of a game, so if you receive a call or you want to quit and continue later, you can resumen the game.

In a relatted question, if a player gets trought 5 of 10 stages, i want him to have the ability to start at the level that he wants to, from 1 to 5, by example. It´s not desirable a situation when a player have to start a long game all over again each time he wants to play.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Hey there Black Cat,

I've also been thinking about this, with reference to a high score being stored (either locally, or ideally if the game's going onto iphone, checking leaderboards from all players).

I don't have a solution to be honest, but taking what you're after on board you could try this:

*Make a new scene that asks if the player wants to continue after all their lives are lost.
    *If he says 'yes', then reset the level variables so that lives = maximum and you're taken back to the level (scene) you were just on.
    *Reset score (you might not want to do this, but games such as Space Giraffe reset the score if you continue so you can see all the levels, but you'll get a better score if you play from the start).

Alternatively, you could put a level select screen at the start of your game. Display all the level numbers as actors, and when you click on an actor you get taken to the appropriate level.

This would only work, I imagine, if the game is 'on' all the time. I don't know, as I've mentioned, if you can 'save' this information so you can come back to the same spot after you've closed the game.

Please take all this with a pinch of salt though, as I only started playing with this this weekend!

Hope it helps,

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io