Corona is half price just now.

tollhousestudiotollhousestudio Member Posts: 166
edited November -1 in Non-GS Game News
Just thought I'd let you folks know. Pretty much just got myself it.

Couldn't really say no to that price and due to the research on the program and its possibilities.
pfft.... count me in!

Peace.

Chris.

Comments

• danlbryantdanlbryant Member Posts: 236
    It's not any cheaper, still $349... :\
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    http://www.anscamobile.com/xgs/

Half price until November 1st
  • tollhousestudiotollhousestudio Member Posts: 166
    yeah buddy, it totally is. there is a promo code ya need to stick in.

CORONA4YOU
  • jweaver911jweaver911 Member Posts: 439
    Yeah... Stan was talking about this last night in the other UBER-thread. I'm buying in this weekend.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    I'm not switching to Corona... not now anyway... but this does send a powerful message to the GameSalad community. How is it possible that Corona can stay in business with such affordable software prices, but GameSalad had to go with a GameSalad Direct® only option?

How is it possible that Carlos — one of the founders of Ansca Mobile — finds the time to post on their forum... and even my website... but the GameSalad team is forced into silence?

How is it possible that Corona can have a roadmap, but GameSalad does not?

Something's wrong in Austin... fix it quick or your competitors will eat your lunch.
    there is no denying its a more powerful tool, its no where near as easy.
    But i'm sure most of us are not afraid of a little learning and hard work. To produce excellent results with less worry of memory pissing out everywhere and your game jamming up.

Drink up, I'm off!
    Photics said:
    I'm not switching to Corona... not now anyway... but this does send a powerful message to the GameSalad community. How is it possible that Corona can stay in business with such affordable software prices, but GameSalad had to go with a GameSalad Direct® only option?

How is it possible that Carlos — one of the founders of Ansca Mobile — finds the time to post on their forum... and even my website... but the GameSalad team is forced into silence?

Something's wrong in Austin... fix it quick or your competitors will eat your lunch.

Well said.
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    I'd rather work harder than lose my independence.
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    I didn't want to start a new thread, but I've made some clear and frank notes on how GameSalad (and Ansca) can both move forward for us developers.

http://bit.ly/bePBav
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    dhondon said:
    I'd rather work harder than lose my independence.

Not me... I'm fat and lazy.
    then stay fat and lazy, even tho yer eatin salad hahahaha
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    LOL - it's all that extra dressing... HAHAHA.
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    Can we at least move this into the correct forum?! Ok, done.
  • Ok now I also will be buying corona. Can't go wrong for that price at all!
  • DevilsDevils Member Posts: 561
    How do you even run this program I downloaded the trial don't even know how to start it up. Lol.
  • Ok now I own corona. Can't go wrong for that price at all! ;)
  • peachpellenpeachpellen Member Posts: 977
    Photics said:

I also got a comment on my site and when I emailed Carlos for a little advice on something he replied almost immediately and was polite, helpful and totally awesome.

The guy is doing a three hour webinar right now (it's being recorded, which is good as I'm having some 'net issues) to help all the newbies.

So far any dealings I've had with anyone there have been positive; super, amazingly positive.

Also, there've been something like 10 updates in a year, I believe someone said earlier - and they actually listen to what you want and keep you up to date with timelines.

If Corona was a person, I'd probably want to mate with it.
  • jstrahanjstrahan Member Posts: 498
    Yes webinar was great ppl at corona so helpful I even got multiple ways to contact Carlos directly if I need to you want see that here
  • Man its almost like come to the gamesalad forums if I want some info on Corona. LOL
  • jonbeebejonbeebe Member Posts: 49
    My latest creation with Corona, for anyone interested... this is not a promotion, but a demo for people to see what can be done with it. Can it be done with GameSalad? Perhaps, but enjoy the demo anyway:

The game above uses the accelerometer for controls, and the video was taken from the actual device using a screen recording app, so the framerate in the video is a little slower than the actual framerate (the game plays incredibly smooth). The colors are also compressed in the video, so quality of the vid isn't 100%, but you can see how the game plays out.
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    I would give Corona a try if it would have a GUI.

I don't understand, why there is no GUI or at least some kind of menu.

I think, it is not hard to make a GUI for a Lua script based app.

If they would make a GUI, even more people would use it.

I don't want to learn Lua script, because I am not the programmer guy. I can't sit before a white page and write pages of codes into it.
    The performance potential that Corona offers is not possible with GameSalad. I'm just regretful that I haven't spent the time that I have using GameSalad to learn Lua. My short time tinkering with it leads me to believe it's not that hard. And the lack of GUI really isn't too bad, seeing as how you get to refresh your "corona simulator" with a simple CMD R and see your creation in an instant.

I have jon's game and can say that it controls just a as good as doodle jump. It's smooth.
  • peachpellenpeachpellen Member Posts: 977
    jweaver911 said:
    The performance potential that Corona offers is not possible with GameSalad. I'm just regretful that I haven't spent the time that I have using GameSalad to learn Lua. My short time tinkering with it leads me to believe it's not that hard. And the lack of GUI really isn't too bad, seeing as how you get to refresh your "corona simulator" with a simple CMD R and see your creation in an instant.

I have jon's game and can say that it controls just a as good as doodle jump. It's smooth.

+1
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Hunnenkoenig said:
    I would give Corona a try if it would have a GUI.

I don't understand, why there is no GUI or at least some kind of menu.

I think, it is not hard to make a GUI for a Lua script based app.

If they would make a GUI, even more people would use it.

I don't want to learn Lua script, because I am not the programmer guy. I can't sit before a white page and write pages of codes into it.

*checks temperature in hell*

Wow. It's freezing in there.

I agree with Hunn.

If Corona had a GUI, and the concept of Actors and Scenes - basically, if Corona was like GS, I'd be there in a shot!

But it's not. Not right now anyway.

I wish everyone learning Corona the best. I really do. I hope you make the games you want to make, because, at the end of the day, that's what this is all about, regardless of what tool you use to do it.

I know there's a lot of GS hate at the moment. I personally disagree completely with the way things are headed with GSDirect. And though I've not spoken to the GS guys about it in a while, I think they know I feel that way.

At the same time though, I'm a little tired of people taking out their frustrations on the tool:

"The memory leaks are stopping my game"
    "The lack of social features are stopping my game being successful"
    "If I had pro, I'd make more money through iAds and URL forwarding"
    "GS is great if you just want to prototype stuff"
    "GS is great if you just want to make taptard games"

I guess it's easy to bury your head in the sand and ignore the fact that Utopian Games is making money with the express version of GS thanks to Bumps and Red Balls of Goo.

Or that Butterbean has made a pile of cash from kids apps.

Or that FMG has made an adventure game that is loved by practically everyone that plays it. And it's been mega mega mega successful to boot.

And that's not even mentioning what Tshirt has done with this software, as well as a few others.

Say what you like about the GameSalad team and its new dire direction. But don't blame the bloody tool. We all use the same tool pretty much, and hugely successful games have been made with it.

Taptard games my ass.

Good luck to everyone staying and everyone leaving. I wish you all great success.

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    QS: I couldn't agree with you more, the tool is really what you make of it :) Very well said mate!
  • PuschelFriendsPuschelFriends Member Posts: 19
    thanks for the info! half price worked!
    i made it !
    butterbean said:
    QS: I couldn't agree with you more, the tool is really what you make of it :) Very well said mate!

That's true to some extent. However, there is a point where having a better tool can get you farther if you have maximized your use of your current "tool." I'm not saying I have, don't hear me wrong. I'm just saying when it comes to making an app, I want that overhead available. I'm a guitarist. I don't buy the lowest common denominator amp simply because it's cheaper and easier to come by. Even though I might not be playing in the big avenues, I want my amp to be able to portray me the best it possibly can. Crystal clear. Without any distortion of my signal (unless it's intended :))

And on top of that, I don't want a tool that just up and changed its method of use/purpose on me.
    My cheap guitar amp just became a waffle maker.

I don't want waffles.

Thanks for the well wishes QS. I always enjoy your posts.
    Now that Annoyed Tomatoes is complete, I can look towards the future... and I don't like what I'm seeing from the GameSalad team. It's been about two weeks since GameSalad Direct® was announced, but there hasn't been a resolution that addresses the concerns of the community.

...but the Ansca Mobile team is presenting a resolution.

With their "XGS" promotion, and the inaction of the GameSalad team, I'm starting to change my mind about Corona.
  • rdcuberdcube Member Posts: 361
    +1000 QS!

I think we all agree that is not the tool, is how y'all use it.
    The one thing I think all not like, is the publishing under GS name and losing branding.

I thought I saw somewhere that Corona will implement a GUI, but that is a long way.

Now that Adobe will be charging 30% off AIR apps deployed on devices, I think that's something to look after and see how that will affect devs.

I think GS silence at this time is not good. :(
    rdcube said:
    I think we all agree that is not the tool, is how y'all use it.
    I don't agree with that at all.

Soldiers don't fight wars with crossbows anymore. They use guns.
    Construction works use power tools.
    Farmers use tractors, not oxen.
    Modern computers tend to have graphical user interfaces, not DOS prompts or BASIC.

If GameSalad had better memory management / performance, Game Center and iAds for Express, I'd be making better games and making more money.

GameSalad is a step towards modern programming, by making it more accessible. GameSalad Direct® is a step backwards, because it limits it to novice developers... those not interested in freelance projects or building a game development company.