Yoyogames (GameMaker) go down the publishing route.

CannonFodderCannonFodder Member Posts: 230
edited November -1 in Non-GS Game News
It looks like Yoyogames are going to start porting the best made GameMaker games to the iphone and PSP. The bad news is it sounds like they will be keeping 100% of the profits made from the games. Apparently it will go towards further funding for GamMaker.

Does not look good for the people holding out for GameMaker.

“YoYo depend on your continuing community support. Our aim is to publish the best of YOUR games on iPad, iPhone, Android, PSP, PC and Mac. Your input is so incredibly valuable to us that in return for your on-going loyalty to promoting Game Store, we promise funds will go toward improvements on Game Maker, the website and the forums.  So please help to spread the word!”

link to blog: http://glog.yoyogames.com/?p=1622

Comments

• CannonFodderCannonFodder Member Posts: 230
  • SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    btw the game don't work on older devices... its unplayable... the game is all zoomed in and I cannot see much...
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    offering a prize for app store reviews !!!
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    @Lazypixelgames: Perhaps they're funding getting the iphone publishing tool out for the future. They may do publishing now, but I think they will still provide Game Maker as a tool for people wanting to publish their own apps in the store at a higher price point when released.

We shall see I guess! :)
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    Readying through the comments by Kristy and NAL (YoYo employees) I get the following:

- PC/MAC $25 one time fee for software. Free trial version (for PC at least).
    - Anyone will be able to create a build for iOS (and PSP?) and submit it on their own.
    - YoYo will offer publishing assistance to a select few of the better games.
    - Since YoYo is doing the shopping and the dev can say no, I imagine the profit share leans heavily toward the devs benefit.

THIS is a little thing we like to call the "Right Way" to do things... ;-)
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    so when are they about to offer the tool...and what do you think about offering an iPod for the best iTunes review
  • CannonFodderCannonFodder Member Posts: 230
    HI Butterbean I used GameMaker a few years back to make a handful of small games, I found it to be a really nice little toolset, so hopefully they will let people self-publish.

Thanks for the info BarkbarkCo going off the blog we should find out more in the next few days.

@Rob2 bribing people for reviews does some a little shady lol.
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    BarkBarkCo said:
    Readying through the comments by Kristy and NAL (YoYo employees) I get the following:

- PC/MAC $25 one time fee for software. Free trial version (for PC at least).
    - Anyone will be able to create a build for iOS (and PSP?) and submit it on their own.
    - YoYo will offer publishing assistance to a select few of the better games.
    - Since YoYo is doing the shopping and the dev can say no, I imagine the profit share leans heavily toward the devs benefit.

THIS is a little thing we like to call the "Right Way" to do things... ;-)

Actually, "Pro" is $25. You can download and use the "Lite" edition for as long as you want to... Applies to Mac to.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    If they do allow you to publish on your own, then Gamemaker sounds like a viable option, especially price wise.