NOW IN THE iBOOKSTORE - The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook

PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE — The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook is now available in the iBookstore!

Just download the iBooks app...
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibooks/id364709193?mt=8

Enter the store

Search for "Photics" or "GameSalad"

The book should be the only one in the search results. This is good news for those that prefer the ePub format or for those that prefer to buy the book with PayPal. Also, with an actual GameSalad book in the iBookstore, this should add more popularity to the GameSalad software.

This is a proud moment for me. I worked very hard to make this happen.

The book is still cheaper if you buy the book directly through my website. However, this might be a good alternative for those with PayPal accounts or iBookstore gift cards.

Comments

• MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Congratulations! Hope you get A Lot of Sales!

BTW, how you make a ebook for iPhone books Store?
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    MagoNicolas said:
    BTW, how you make a ebook for iPhone books Store?

I used iWork '09, then I completed the iBooks application to be a publisher. You also need an ISBN.

Some more details here...
    http://photics.com/learning-about-the-epub-format

Photics is an Internet Publishing business. I have been thinking about doing something like GameSalad Direct® but for books.
  • magic101himagic101hi Member Posts: 713
    Just bought it I am very excited!
  • DimensionGamesDimensionGames PRO Posts: 993
    YES :D will download this the second I get back from work.... :D

CHEERS :D
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Sweet work. Will you be updating it? With a new build due to be released very soon im hesitant to spend the £15.99 if lots of stuff will change
    beefy_clyro said:
    Sweet work. Will you be updating it? With a new build due to be released very soon im hesitant to spend the £15.99 if lots of stuff will change

I don't know if I'll be updating the book. Since the book has been published three months ago, not much has changed. If I had waited to release the book until 1.0 was available, I'd still be waiting.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    I understand not updating it now due to not much having been changed, however, if there are significant changes in 0.9 and 1.0, will the book be updated for that?
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    If 0.9 and 1.0 version of the software have substantial changes or new features then it would make sense to update the book, otherwise its going to already be out of date.

I think you'll probably get a boost in sales if the downloadable sample were to actually show something a bit more technical too, instead of being the more generic intro that it currently shows. From the current sample customers have no idea of how detailed or thorough the info contained within the book actually is. They have no idea of what level its aimed at.

That probably makes it a difficult buy for many potential buyers at the current price.

Im not saying it isnt worth it, Im just saying its difficult to make that decision based on the current sample.
    For the iBook version, there's a "GET SAMPLE" button on the page listing.

As for updates, they're not guaranteed. For example, what if the unofficial book becomes the official book? That's a name change, which requires a new ISBN. That might be a problem for iBooks. I don't know, as this is my first iBook.

If you're interested in updates, I recommend ordering the digital copy directly through Photics.com as I don't need to worry about ISBNs. While updates are not guaranteed, it's more likely to happen through my website.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Yup... but i think your missing my point...thats the sample I was referring to.

It doesnt actually show anything of what the book has to offer in way of its tutorial purposes. Its the opening chapter where you simply talk about the software and game development in a more generalised manner.

I just think you'll gain more sales by showing a sample from further in the book that actually shows some examples of the way you instruct and explain things, so customers can get an idea of what level of information theyre buying.
    Just purchased can't wait to get into it :)
  • BSideGamesBSideGames Member Posts: 392
    I agree with chunky on the sample.

I want to get the ibook if it's gonna teach me stuff I can't pick up on my own, but the sample tells me nothing about the types of lessons that are given.
    AsherScott said:
    I agree with chunky on the sample.

I want to get the ibook if it's gonna teach me stuff I can't pick up on my own, but the sample tells me nothing about the types of lessons that are given.

If you download the PDF on my website, you can see the chapters in the book and the index. The ePub version is mostly the same content as the PDF version.

The textbook is a guide through the entire process of creating a GameSalad game... idea stage, using GameSalad (attributes, behaviors, expressions), it explains math and physics in GameSalad, common game functions, game examples, brief advice on creating content for your game, publishing your game and marketing your game.

While a better sample might be nice, I think the response to the textbook on this website is even better... http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=9300 ...people who use GameSalad seem to love the book.
    PossesiveGaming said:
    Just purchased can't wait to get into it :)

Wow, I'm surprised that so many people here are into the new version. I'm happy and I think the book will be very helpful. I went to Manhattan today. During the trip, I was playing with my iPhone 4. Having a nice book to read might help with making a long commute seem shorter.
    Certainly! I have been reading some of the lighter chapters before I go to bed :L Out of interest do you know any software I could use to put on my mac like some ePub reader? My dad works in book publishing (Oxford University Press) so hopefully he can find out anyway :)

Thanks for making this book!
    PossesiveGaming said:
    Out of interest do you know any software I could use to put on my mac like some ePub reader?

Wikipedia has a nice list of ePub reading and editing software...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB
  • PIXOMUSEPIXOMUSE Member Posts: 101
    Only available in the US itunes ?
    PIXOMUSE said:
    Only available in the US itunes ?

The iBookstore version is available in Canada, France, Germany, United Kingdom and the United States.
    I learned about creating hyperlinking to iBookstore listing today.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-unofficial-gamesalad-textbook/id398530327

Unfortunately, the link doesn't take you directly to the iBookstore, but it does show a listing for my book and it has a link to the iBooks app. So, I think that's nice.
    ok I bought the ibook this week and I have all ready learned something new... so thank you Photics

Looking forward to hearing some sample sound effects...hint hint
  • dysnakdysnak Member Posts: 16
    I tried searching for this on uk ibooks and it appears in auto-search complete list but no matches are found when you select the search :(

Is it coming back onto ibooks or do you have any hardcopies left?
    AsherScott said:
    Looking forward to hearing some sample sound effects...hint hint

Now there are some sample sound effects on my website...
    http://photics.com/tag/free-wav-wednesday
    dysnak said:
    I tried searching for this on uk ibooks and it appears in auto-search complete list but no matches are found when you select the search :(

Is it coming back onto ibooks or do you have any hardcopies left?

I pulled the book from the iBookstore because of two issues. However, you can still order the ePub version of the book through Photics.com / Google Checkout.

http://photics.com/books/gamesalad-textbook

People seem to dislike Google Checkout. If you're one of those people, I understand. That's why I created an App Version of my book. It is currently waiting for review. Maybe it will be released before the Christmas break. If not, it should be available by the end of the month.

I'm waiting for Apple to approve it. They rejected a previous version, but this new version is much better. I worked really hard to recreate hundreds of images. This app was crafted with HTML and Xcode. It seems to work much faster than iBooks. I'm really happy that the new version is a universal binary. It's designed to adapt to a screen that's 320 pixels wide to 1024 pixels wide.
  • adrianeraldoadrianeraldo Member Posts: 9
    Hi. I tried to buy the book from Itunes but I can´t find it, I tried following your link but nothing... I tried with my ipad and it can't find it.... I'm in Canada, is it available here?
    cheers
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    adrianeraldo,
    i am in Canada and was a able to find and buy it ... i love the book, my wife hates it!
    adrianeraldo said:
    Hi. I tried to buy the book from Itunes but I can´t find it, I tried following your link but nothing... I tried with my ipad and it can't find it.... I'm in Canada, is it available here?
    cheers

The iBookstore version of the book was discontinued. There were issues. Instead, I created the app version.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/an-unofficial-gamesalad-textbook/id409726843
    I got the sound effects already

I wrote to you on the other post about getting a copy of the app version.

I had bought the ibook one but would like the updates for this version.

A promo code would be cool(I can send you a copy of proof of purchase of ibook one)

Thanks
    Asher
    AsherScott said:
    I had bought the ibook one but would like the updates for this version.

Check your email.

Everyone else, I'm basically out of promo codes. I'm holding on to two. I might need them for the press. For example, I wrote to a cable network. It would be bad if I ruined a chance to be on TV, simply because I couldn't produce a promo code.
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    Photics,
    i have an interview in the works too but i think i just bring my own ipad for them to use ....

As far as the book goes, it is simply GREAT! I learned a lot already.

Now if you could only write one to get us started on Corona ... hint ... hint ;)