iDev Arena Now Live! SIGN UP TODAY!

SethsAppsSethsApps Member, PRO Posts: 328
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
http://idevarena.jimdo.com/membership/

The iDev Arena site is now live for membership sign ups! Keep in mind that we haven't uploaded our material for the site yet, right now it is just the membership sign up page. We will be officially launching the site Friday, November 12 and at that point prices will go up so if you sign up today you will get a major discount. (If you sign up between today and Nov. 12 your membership wont start until launch day of the site, don't worry you wont be "ripped off")

For those of you that haven't heard of the iDev Arena, it is a site I have created to be the ULTIMATE developer resource site. Here are some of the features:

Over 2,000 sound files
Over 1,500 image files
200-300 files added every week
A forum to discuss games, ideas, and anything else with other devs
Beta testing area to test your games with other people/devices
Dev pages to promote your business even more
Instructional videos on creating images
Instructional videos on marketing apps
Instructional videos on how to present your app to the App Store
and MUCH more coming soon!

This is a once-in-a-lifetime deal and you will never find more resources in a single place than at iDev Arena. Prices start at just $10.00 for an entire year of usage or $30.00 for a whole lifetime pass! Everything pays for itself and you end up gaining back money very quickly because there is so much content and valuable resources on the site to use. If you want to learn more about what is being offered on the site visit this link:

http://idevarena.jimdo.com/membership/help/

Thanks in advance to all of you who are in support of the site! I know we had a lot of great feedback when we unveiled it earlier today so we look forward to getting a lot of members. Help us make the site successful and we will make sure you are rewarded with the best resources we can possibly offer!

Comments

• debugdesigndebugdesign Member Posts: 886
    sounds a bit too good to be true... I think I will have to wait to see it...

Are the 1500 images yours to sell?
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    Can we get the answers to the questions Quantumsheep asked in your other thread?

"Can you assure those joining your site that the sound and image files are royalty free? If they are, are you making them yourself, or procuring them from another site?
    If it's the former, can you show us samples so that we can judge for ourselves if it's worth the investment. If it's the latter, then what exactly are you offering for the money asked if we can get them elsewhere?
    Or have you paid someone to make these images/sounds for you to give away? If so, again, a sample would be appreciated.

You mention 2-300 files being added weekly. That's great. What guarantees do you give for their quality? Will they (or indeed any of the files) be exclusive to your site (i.e. - will people only be able to get these particular files from you.

If they're of good quality, and exclusive, then there may be some value here.

The forums and beta testing stuff are services offered elsewhere by many others. What makes your offering stand out from the crowd?

Promotional Dev pages would only work if the site attracted a lot of visitors. Can you share your plans to bring traffic to your site? How will this be measured?

The videos sound good. Are you making these yourself?
    If so, what successful apps have you had on the app store that would validate the content of said videos. If they're not videos made by you, whose are they, do you have permission to host them, and what would be the benefit of paying to see them if they're available elsewhere?

You say 'much more' coming soon. I've visited your site. As it stands, it's mainly a shell, with the only really functioning part the one that takes money from people. Where are the examples of the content people can expect to be privy to?"

I like the idea of the website, but these questions needs to be answered.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    dhondon said:
    Can we get the answers to the questions Quantumsheep asked in your other thread?

"Can you assure those joining your site that the sound and image files are royalty free? If they are, are you making them yourself, or procuring them from another site?
    If it's the former, can you show us samples so that we can judge for ourselves if it's worth the investment. If it's the latter, then what exactly are you offering for the money asked if we can get them elsewhere?
    Or have you paid someone to make these images/sounds for you to give away? If so, again, a sample would be appreciated.

You mention 2-300 files being added weekly. That's great. What guarantees do you give for their quality? Will they (or indeed any of the files) be exclusive to your site (i.e. - will people only be able to get these particular files from you.

If they're of good quality, and exclusive, then there may be some value here.

The forums and beta testing stuff are services offered elsewhere by many others. What makes your offering stand out from the crowd?

Promotional Dev pages would only work if the site attracted a lot of visitors. Can you share your plans to bring traffic to your site? How will this be measured?

The videos sound good. Are you making these yourself?
    If so, what successful apps have you had on the app store that would validate the content of said videos. If they're not videos made by you, whose are they, do you have permission to host them, and what would be the benefit of paying to see them if they're available elsewhere?

You say 'much more' coming soon. I've visited your site. As it stands, it's mainly a shell, with the only really functioning part the one that takes money from people. Where are the examples of the content people can expect to be privy to?"

I like the idea of the website, but these questions needs to be answered.

Yes Please. I was all ready to signup and get the "Unknown" discount. But then i read further and found some very good questions that need answered before I bite.

Also You say there is a discount if we signup before NOV 12th. What is that discount? It seems pretty shady that you have a price listed and says we get a discount but who knows what it is.

I do like the idea though so give some answers and i'd say you'll be getting some more people to join.
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    How is that "live"? The only page that has anything on it is the membership page where you are asking for money. The rest of the site is empty...
  • SethsAppsSethsApps Member, PRO Posts: 328
    Thanks for voicing all of your concerns everyone! I am here to answer them.

First of all yes, every file on the site will be royalty free so there will be no problems with the illegal use of the sound effects or graphics. As for the uniqueness of the photos, they will be from sites I have used over the years with royalty free graphics (some dating back to the 90's), graphics I have purchased for games and apps but never used, images my colleagues and I have created, and more that I will purchase in the next few weeks just for use on the site. Many of these images will only be available to users on the site, others I'm not even sure still exist on the web. I'll post a link to a few below. Some are from a project I was going to start but I never actually completed it so I just kept the images around for a rainy day and one is another image I came across a few years ago and used on a website, it was located on a royalty free site. Everything I post will be yours to keep, use, and enjoy and the library will be very extensive.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6186/wizardanimated27dragged.png
    http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/697/pageanimated27dragged.png
    http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/8601/defaulta.png
    http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/761/dankofriendlyrabbit.png
    http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/9899/sethsapps.png

With other beta testing sites anyone is invited to join in on the fun of testing someone else's game before it hits the app store, on our site beta testers will be only the best ones to aid you (the developers) in creating the best apps possible. We have a few profiles put together from beta testers of my company's apps and from other developers we know that have used beta testers before. As with any company, you only want to keep around the best, so we have compiled a list of beta testers that have given great feedback and support on our apps. They will be the ones testing your games and you will be able to recruit them based on a profile that we write about them. This beta tester profile will include their name, email, experience playing iDevice games, what devices they have, a little bit about them, and games they have tested before. You can make your decision on who to use for your testing and better yet, they are completely free! You will get quality beta testers for the low price of: nothing. They will test your apps for the love of gaming and once they reach a certain status (will be determined between admins of the site and the testers) they may receive a paycheck for their loyalty.

The forums are great because, not only will you have the ability to talk to other devs about GameSalad but a day or two after the launch of the iDev Arena site there will be other developers from other platforms such as x-code on the forums and on the site to add some diversity to the community. There will be people on the forums to discuss almost any topic related to developing apps so this will be a very good community so get involved in. Also, whats the fun of the GameSalad forums if you can't level up for how many legitimate posts you have? The forums will be more than worth participating in and will be for only people really interested in creating and publishing apps to the App Store.

Obviously we are hoping for a big turn out to the site (member-wise) so we have to pull in a lot of beta testers. We are planning on having 50-60 beta testers coming to the site daily to check on the apps, other developers interested in signing up for a membership, and other people that are directed to the site through ads that we will be placing on our own apps and also on some other sites in the near future like facebook and Touch Arcade. Why not get your business out there in front of the users on the site? Your ad will be visible on every page of the site and be "clickable" so anyone that chooses to see more about your business or game will be taken directly to it. Ads are a flat fee so naturally, the better your ads and developer page looks, the more attention it will attract. This can be a very good tool of getting long-term followers of your apps, intriguing someone to buy a custom app from you, or getting your name out there. Users of the site will change so the longer you keep your exclusive status, the more people that will see your ad and developer page.

The videos are still a month or more off in the future so I'm not sure what all they will entail but I will be using personal experiences combined with other developers personal experiences and a professional marketing agent to provide the best, content-rich videos possible. We are putting time and effort into them so that you get your moneys worth.

The site is very minimal right now. There is a sign up page and everything else is hidden from prying eyes. We obviously can't post any content up at this time simply because of the fact that it is only for registered members. The site looks bare bone but when logged in you will be immersed in a wave of information. Gigabytes upon gigabytes of information is either loaded onto the site already or waiting to be uploaded from my external hard drive. The site will be relyable, it is affordable, it will be updated often, you have a sample of some work that will be posted, you have a chance to make your games better with proper testing and its really a good deal all around.

I hope I have answered your questions and hope to see all of you signing up for the site!

By the way, after the 12th of November we are planning on taking membership fees up to $40/lifetime and $15/year. You will be getting a 33% DISCOUNT for signing up now!

If you don't already have the link here it is again and thanks in advance for your purchase!

• DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    Thanks for your reply:) But have you checked with all your texture sources that you are allowed to re-sell them? Even if you have bought it, you might not have the rights to redistribute. Example from the license from CGtextures.com:

"It is NOT permitted to:
    - Sell or distribute any of these textures in an unmodified form, or where the derived product you are selling or distributing is a Texture or a collection of Textures. IN OTHER WORDS: Do not sell or distribute any of these textures (modified or not) by itself or in a texture, material, clipart, website theme or scrapbooking pack!
    - Bundle the images with software such as paint programs, 3D programs, photo-kiosk software.
    - Reselling or redistributing the images at 'print on demand' services (mugs, t-shirts, mouse mats, etc)
    - Selling or redistributing skins for laptops, phones and other devices, created with images from CGTextures.
    - Stockpile images with the goal of making a local copy of all textures on the site.
    - Using a special program (spider, leecher) or script to automatically download all Textures on the CGTextures website. Users who try to mass download will be banned from the website automatically.
    - Interfere with the security or otherwise abuse, disrupt, place excessive loads on, or attempt to gain unauthorized access to the CGTextures website or any system resources or networks connected to this website.
    - Release the Textures or derivative products under Open Source Licences"
    Thanks for your reply dhondon, I am currently going back through websites that I know files came from and checking on their distribution policies to be sure they are all legal to give out. As I said I have plenty of images that were developed specifically for my use and other developers uses. I am creating this site with the help of a few other developers not currently using GameSalad so we are bringing our thoughts and resources together to make this site the best it can be. I assure you that every image and sound effect on the site will be free of copyright.
    I was actually thinking about making the site free just because I love the GS community and how tightly associated everyone is as opposed to most other forums but I don't think I can manage that unless I had some contributions from the users. It can get costly :/