How to fight against copyright infringment

PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
Did you find your iOS game illegally hosted on a website?
Does that website use Google AdSense?
Has there been unsatisfactory response to a take-down notice?

If the answer is yes, these links might be helpful to you....

https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=9894
https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=dmca_complaint

Copyright infringement is not a compliment. It's theft. You can fight to protect your games!

Comments

• ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    Thanks Photics. Just sent one in. And probably 1 more. I'll see what happens.
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    First of all, it is for AdSense. Probably if somebody makes advertisement in your name to his advantage.

Don't think Google will play world police and sues all little crackers for you.
    They don't want and they will not do that.

Secondly: forget it. It is senseless. You can't fight crackers.
    Better said: you can, but it's pointless.
  • FanStudioUKFanStudioUK Member Posts: 459
    Cracking is free advertising.

This will NEVER stop and you really can't do anything about it.

Cheers!
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Hunnenkoenig said:
    First of all, it is for AdSense. Probably if somebody makes advertisement in your name to his advantage.

It's not someone making an advertisement in your name. It's someone making advertisement dollars by illegally distributing content. It states that clearly on the Google website...
    If you believe that another site is illegally copying the contents of your site, you may send a notice of alleged infringement

It also states...
    rest assured that we will take appropriate action

Here's the link again...
    https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=9894
    ...you can read it for yourself.

It doesn't matter if it's something Google wants to do. It's something they have to do. Otherwise, their license agreements become meaningless. To be an AdSense publisher, you can't be doing illegal stuff on your website. Lots of advertisers don't like that.
    FanStudioUK said:
    This will NEVER stop and you really can't do anything about it.

That's what wrongdoers may count on... but they're wrong. The Internet is not a wild frontier. It's traceable. Sure, you might not obliterate every instance of copyright infringement out there, but you can certainly attempt to stop them from getting paid by AdSense. If you succeed - that's less money in it for copyright infringers, then it's less likely to occur, and that's an improvement.

The attitude around here is incorrect.

1) You can do something
    2) I don't see copyright infringement as a compliment or good advertising.
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    Photics said:
    but you can certainly attempt to stop them from getting paid by AdSense.

That is the most important sentence. Why didn't you just tell that?

That makes sense from the point of view of google.
    If cracker sites get paid for illegal activity by google, that sure, it is google's responsibility.

It just sounded, you wanted google handle all your legal stuff :-P
    Waht they surely won't do.

You can hurt those sites by trying to close their money source, that's true. Maybe they quit then, but the next one will be there.

And to be honest I don't think, people, who visit those sites really are interested in advertisement. I don't think, you can make real money with it.

I have a few sites with google ad sense and if I get 100 dollars a month together, then I am already happy.

Adsense is a crap.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    I saw something interesting in the new GameSalad publishing rules...
    You will immediately notify GameSalad if you become aware of any material breach of any EULA, and will provide GameSalad with reasonably detailed information in connection with such breach.

So... if I see someone ripping off my GameSalad made game, does the GameSalad team want to know about it?

...and this part is a bit unrealistic...
    Upon the termination of any EULA, you will use all reasonable efforts to obtain from the end user all copies of the Executable Package in such end user’s possession or control.

If they're going to steal my game, I doubt I'll be able to get the copy back from them. "Reasonable" is the keyword. I don't control iOS devices. Heh, I'm not going to walk the earth with a shotgun, checking iPhones for illegal copies of Annoyed Tomatoes.