UNITY IS IT WORTH IT?????

EminemEminem Member Posts: 667
edited November -1 in Non-GS Game News
Just got into unity!

And i love it. but one problem is , it is not as easy as gamesalad :( ,

but im getting the hang of it.

If there are anybody else using unity, can you please tell me if you get better sales?

Comments

• FreiGamesFreiGames Member Posts: 158
    I use it but i haven't published anything with it, but my brother has published a couple of apps made with different programs, and he doesn't seem to get better sales just because its made with Unity or any other software!
  • EminemEminem Member Posts: 667
    I thought people like playing 3D games? Considering unity is 3D I would think people like 3D games better,

Don't you think?
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Nice 2D is ALWAYS better than poor 3D. That's my opinion!
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Eminem said:
    I thought people like playing 3D games? Considering unity is 3D I would think people like 3D games better,

Don't you think?

Yes, the 3D graphics in Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Cut the Rope, Fruit Ninja and Tetris really make the games so much better! :D

Oh, wait!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Lol QS! You always put me in a good mood!
    Eminem said:

Don't you think?

People don't seem to enjoy 3d to much on the iphone.
    But if i were you I would continue using unity, afterall it supports way more platforms. (ps3, xbox, android, iphone etc.)
    Oh and by the way, its also possible to create 2d in Unity!
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    quantumsheep said:
    Yes, the 3D graphics in Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Cut the Rope, Fruit Ninja and Tetris really make the games so much better! :D

Oh, wait!

QS :D

LOL nice one!

Arent the fruit in fruit ninja 3D though?
  • ToastKittenToastKitten Member Posts: 360
    artonskyblue said:
    LOL nice one!

Arent the fruit in fruit ninja 3D though?

bum Bum BUMMM!!!!
  • FjantIncFjantInc Member Posts: 115
    First of all, it's not "is it 2D or 3D" that generates a success for a game - it's if it's a good game or not!
    FreiGames said:
    I use it but i haven't published anything with it, but my brother has published a couple of apps made with different programs, and he doesn't seem to get better sales just because its made with Unity or any other software!

I'm sorry, but I just actually laughed at this post. I don't think you meant it, but the way it's written it sounded like your brother expected better sales automagically just because he used another program =)

It's just a matter of harnessing each software's capabilities and use it to make your game IDEA come to life. It doesn't matter if it's made in Unity, Gamesalad, Basic or whatever. Of course some things are easier / harder to do in other softwares (try doing a 3D game in Basic =), but essentially it's the game idea and gameplay that'll make it or break it.

On topic again.

We use Unity at work to publish on iPhone and iPads. I, however, am not that much involved in it. I actually just tried it last week and got an animated model out of Cinema 4D into Unity. It was much easier than I had expected. Didn't have to bake the animation to keyframes or anything, it just worked =)

Even though I know 3D and have been using 3D software for over ten years, I don't wish to do 3D games for the iPhone / iPad, which is why I chose Gamesalad. That and I am no codemonkey =)

However, I am going to do graphics in a 3D software, but that'll just be rendered sprites.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    it's all about using the tool that can best get your idea created. Using unity is not going to guarantee a great game, it's the idea.
    Undersky said:
    First of all, it's not "is it 2D or 3D" that generates a success for a game - it's if it's a good game or not!

I'm sorry, but I just actually laughed at this post. I don't think you meant it, but the way it's written it sounded like your brother expected better sales automagically just because he used another program =)

It's just a matter of harnessing each software's capabilities and use it to make your game IDEA come to life. It doesn't matter if it's made in Unity, Gamesalad, Basic or whatever. Of course some things are easier / harder to do in other softwares (try doing a 3D game in Basic =), but essentially it's the game idea and gameplay that'll make it or break it.

On topic again.

We use Unity at work to publish on iPhone and iPads. I, however, am not that much involved in it. I actually just tried it last week and got an animated model out of Cinema 4D into Unity. It was much easier than I had expected. Didn't have to bake the animation to keyframes or anything, it just worked =)

Even though I know 3D and have been using 3D software for over ten years, I don't wish to do 3D games for the iPhone / iPad, which is why I chose Gamesalad. That and I am no codemonkey =)

However, I am going to do graphics in a 3D software, but that'll just be rendered sprites.

I just moved to USA, so I'm sorry if my english is not the best, but what i meant was that if you look at all the big games on the app store you will see that they are pretty much all in 2D. And I guess that is also why you chose to work with 2d instead of 3d.
    Oh and by the way, just of interest... what company do you work for?
  • EminemEminem Member Posts: 667
    i just got into game designing, and havent got around to publishing my GS games :(

Thanks for all your comments!!!
  • FjantIncFjantInc Member Posts: 115
    FreiGames said:
    I just moved to USA, so I'm sorry if my english is not the best, but what i meant was that if you look at all the big games on the app store you will see that they are pretty much all in 2D. And I guess that is also why you chose to work with 2d instead of 3d.
    Oh and by the way, just of interest... what company do you work for?

2D or 3D - it doesn't matter. Angry birds could use 3D graphics with some nifty cel shading and look almost as good, but it would still be the appealing game play that made it a success.

I'd say the main reason why there are more 2D games than 3D games out there is that they're easier to develop. Even 15 year old Billy, who's only worked a year with Photoshop can create something, whereas 3D graphics generally take longer to learn. Not to mention coding an engine. I'd say the ratio of 2D games with in-house engines are far greater than 3D games with in-house engines. For 3D games without programming knowledge there aren't that many other options out there except Unity yet.

The reason why I chose 2D is mainly because I like it better than working with realtime 3D. Baking light maps, being so restricted, keeping poly count down... Nah, I much prefer doing pre-rendered stuff and pixel sprites =) I really hope that an upcoming version of Gamesalad will include the ability to use videos so I can do some intros and stuff like that =)

I work for a Sweden-based company called byBrick Interface. You don't see any apps from us on the app store, since we're doing them directly for customers.
  • beatragebeatrage Member Posts: 126
    I´d say Unity performance in unbeatable I have put 100 enemies on a level whith every hit destroying them with particle FX and NO LAG ...nothing!! a 2 finger pause system in just a day with a GUI options menu and main screen menu...AMAZING...and the best I don´t have to upload nothing to get may xcode app running in my iphone...in less than a minute!
    I could make a tutorial but there are so many and i really don´t have the time to do that!
    One thing if you create a 2D mechanic for your game using 3D models like cubes, spheres,planes...etc you can change your game from 2D using 3D models in less than 2 weeks! AAAAMMMMMAAAAZZZIIINNNGGGG! Come on GS answer us your consumers and show me something better than that!!Better thing in Unity: " THEY LISTEN TO THEIR COSTUMERS" the basic from a business world! plus iAD + admob + Open Feint + GameCenter and more and even MORE...multiplayer + video playback + compression on your app + total audio control + XML database for RPGS ....more more...etc....etc...
    In less than a week I have mastered the thing with no efforts!
  • beatragebeatrage Member Posts: 126
    Here I fell like a ninterd ( a nintendo nerd ) waiting eternaly for the perfect hardware from a company like nintendo when they come only to give their fans the left overs...just like the 3DS hardware....shame T_T