Important Question to CodeMonkey and FEEDBACK

TheTTheT Member Posts: 80
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hey,
In my game I use a lot of variables, or attributes if you like to call them so.
But often, I only need to use about 5 Values (let's say from 1-5), now my question is, instead of wasting an entire integer (64'000) from the values of -32'000 to 32'000, should I better use var of the type of angle (0-360 ?) or index (only positive integer -> 32'000 ?) instead of an integer type ?
Also, I really suggest to you guys to come up with an extra column beside the variable where you can limit it's values, as it is really a huge memory waste if you know your var. will only use about 1-5.

Another Feedback I like to give you is this:
Highlight the "Otherwise" Tab:
I have quite big chunks of codes in my project and this really makes it sometimes hard to find errors. Especially bad is it when code is hidden in the "otherwise" tab and you just overlook it because it is minimized.
So, I would suggest to you to highlight the "Otherwise" tab with a catchy color as soon as content is in it so the user don't have to search and search through vast codelines and overlook a tiny piece which hides the error. I'm quite sure others have the same issue.
So, that's all from me, hope you guys take it to heart,
have a nice weekend you guys,
cya !

Comments

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    There is no memory waste if you one over the other for attribute type integer or angle.

Suggestion noted on the Otherwise tab.
  • TheTTheT Member Posts: 80
    Nope, what I mean is, suppose I HAVE an variable I know will only be between 1-5, when I use an integer type attribute, which runs in other programming languages from about 32.000 to -32.., there is clearly a wasste of about almost all of the entire 64.000, isn't it ? Andwaste therefore I suggested it should be possible to limit variables to a certain value, just like in other programming languages so no memory is wasted !

The question I asked was about, if I know there will only be these 1-5 values in the variable, should I take an integer, an angle, and, should there be no difference between these 2: an index type (I read it were like integer but without the negative values). Or are they just all the same size ??
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    they just have different ranges of values, but they take no more/less memory than another type.
    Oh, that's bad. So I may assume that you guys try to put in something in the next version to limit attributes ? I think it's obviously that it would save lots of memory, expect you couldn't limit values because of the engine (as it may be to diificult to program) ?
    Also I think it would be much better if we were able to re-order the attributes (drag&drop) and catigorize.
  • nulonulo Member Posts: 315
    i second the re-order and categorize