GameSalad 0.9.0 - The Best Things In Life Are Free.

2»

Comments

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    @ARC_Games

If you read through the forums it seems theres been some changes/fixes made to various attributes/behaviours with the 0.9.0 version that are now having adverse effects on games built with the previous versions.

From what I understand, these are meant to be fixes to things that might not have been working entirely as planned in previous versions... but where people may have been using things a certain way that seemed to work correctly at the time.

GameSalad needs to give a detailed list of what changes are made to attributes and behaviours with every update, otherwise its leaving people in the dark as to why things suddenly dont work anymore... which can be very frustrating, and waste a lot of time as we try to track down and fix things in our games that were previously working ok.

Its another case of bad communication that really should be improved on.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    I'd sure like to see a yellow post about current pro members being able to publish without a GS splash screen. That's what I paid for.

I've emailed gs and not heard anything. With no official word, it's hard to know what's the deal. I have one month left, and I'd like to update my 3 GS apps with the new improved 0.9, but I really need to know I can do that WITHOUT the GS splash screen.
  • wraithstaffwraithstaff Member Posts: 12
    design219 said:
    I'd sure like to see a yellow post about current pro members being able to publish without a GS splash screen. That's what I paid for.

I've emailed gs and not heard anything. With no official word, it's hard to know what's the deal. I have one month left, and I'd like to update my 3 GS apps with the new improved 0.9, but I really need to know I can do that WITHOUT the GS splash screen.

Same here. I don't know if the new pro option will be splash free or not, but I really want to know!
  • FranzKellerFranzKeller Member Posts: 517
    I probably can't figure out how to implement the other stuff, so the only reason I would upgrade to Pro is to have my own non distracting splash screen. ;-)

my "brand" is all about a specific design style, it really throws it off to have a non-matching splash screen.
    (for that reason, I'd also be less likely to use iAdds or the like)

So in this "great transformation" I could upgrade my existing Basic account (which I bought a few months ago for $99) to 1 additional year of "Pro" for an additional $99? how long do I have to decide?

I strongly vote for "Pro" to have no GS Splash screen, or it's of little interest to me, and probably others.
  • gamesmoldgamesmold Member, PRO Posts: 279
    I am a pro member (old pro membership that still runs till september 2011) and there seems to be no possibility to get my own splash screens into my apps.
    Just wrote the GS team an email, I hope that they'll change this or at least help me.
    Aside from the fact that I had paid $2000 for not having a GS splash screen - I could not use this tool any more if it always shows the GS splash.

Does anybody know if the old GS creator and publishing process (with your personal splash screens) still work? I've already installed the 0.9.0 over my old 0.8.9 creator.
    gamesmold said:
    I am a pro member ,,, I had paid $2000 for not having a GS splash screen - I could not use this tool any more if it always shows the GS splash.

Wow, I would demand a refund in full. I don't think they would do that for me since I've just got a month left. This really sucks.
    Do we know for sure if it shows the GS splash in Pro or not? It could just mean we don't have OUR custom ones, which would be okay. Though if Pro has THEIR splash, that seems to be a pretty poor marketing choice.
  • rufflesruffles Member Posts: 2
    I'd love to try it out, but it's not working at all. After a lot of frustrating installs, deletes, and reinstalls, the thing dies like Sarah Palin at a PETA convention.

I teach Video Game Design in a public school and use the old version as an intro to game design and it worked fine. The old copies on the new Apples in my lab all work great, but now I can't use it because after updating to the new version I can't demo it to my students! I didn't check this out until this last week because it worked fine last year and now I'm in a pickle. This unit is coming up next week and I'm desperate! HELP!

Any help would be massively appreciated and the 28 kids in my game design class would be grateful, too.

A. Taylor
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    Is the ad-hoc 0.9.0 publishing server ok? i keep getting "try later" message every time I try.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    design219 said:
    Wow, I would demand a refund in full. I don't think they would do that for me since I've just got a month left. This really sucks.

I believe this is being sorted. It's not supposed to be this way.

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• magic101himagic101hi Member Posts: 713
    its been working for me :D

-Josh
  • FranzKellerFranzKeller Member Posts: 517
    What version of OSX do your computers have?

Perhaps the new GS doesn't run on an older OS, right? Or something like that
    ruffles said:
    I teach Video Game Design in a public school and use the old version as an intro to game design and it worked fine. The old copies on the new Apples in my lab all work great, but now I can't use it because after updating
    A. Taylor

design219 said:

I received a response yesterday saying old pro members will keep the custom load screen until they renew membership. (I used the migration email this time instead of the support email)

I'm glad to hear this, but I wish I'd heard this a month ago... I'm down to just a little over a week and haven't cracked open GS since the Direct announcement.

Now, here's hoping our one client's game doesn't break with .9!
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    design219 said:
    I received a response yesterday saying old pro members will keep the custom load screen until they renew membership. (I used the migration email this time instead of the support email)

Why does GameSalad team insist on hurting themselves?

I imagine that if you had the opportunity to renew your old "Pro" license for $1999, you'd probably do it. Instead, you have no options... except to give money to GameSalad competitors.

With Professional now at $499 a year, I don't think it makes sense to charge $1999 a year for custom loading screens... but they could probably get $750 a year for it. Instead, it gives customers another reason to look elsewhere. That's not good... well... it's good for Ansca Mobile... but it's not good for GameSalad.
    I don't really care about "custom" splashes as long as they don't put up a GameSalad splash, you know?
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    What we need is a big Conf all or some kind of chat session with the developers to discuss all these things but not in an angry kind of way but in a honest proactive way to improve things for everyone. There are communication issues and I am sure it's Down to the angry user responses before.

There are a lot of good devs out there who just need a bit more information on how gamesalad works I.e, how rules are processed and how to avoid simple rule layouts which could screw the projects or cause crashing.

I found inner timers and other things drove me crazy until I understood how some things worked but again, if I knew the GS modus operandi with rules in the first place maybe the pain would not have lasted so long.