Icon creation

gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
Any tips on icon creation? Is there a template we can use?

Greg

Comments

• JoshKahaneJoshKahane Member Posts: 470
    When I create icons, I think for most people its quite a tough job. Remember, it is the first thing people are going to see and it has to stand out and make a good impression, look good! Of course thats simple, but achieving that is hard.

I would base it on the prime thing in your app. So if its about a ball, but a ball in your icon, if its about a dog, put a dog there, have a main character, put it there.

http://www.keepthewebweird.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/iphoneicon.psd

The link above is to a PSD (Photoshop) file which is courtesy of the kind person who does this website:

http://www.keepthewebweird.com/iphone-icon-psd-template/

It is very good for beginners or people who have no idea what to do for their icon and just acts as a good starting point in general. Open it up and take a look at all the layers, hide some, show some, customise them and then add your own personal bit to show off your own game.

Hope that helps.

P.S Check Google Wave when you have the time Greg, I figured something out that might interest you.

Josh.
  • CoIinCoIin Member Posts: 197
    One comment about the icon, if you mean the one that appears on the iPhone to represent your game, you don't have to do all the fancy graphical work. Just give GameSalad a square image of any size, and it will do the rest of the work for you. For my tests I've just done a square screen shot of the game play. Maybe not the very best thing artistically, but it came out fine with the rounded corners and shading looking great.
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    Hmmmmm Colin...that sounds good. I did however use the link above and went ahead and made one. Wasn't to hard but wasn't fun :-) still need to work on my photoshop skills.

Greg
  • CoIinCoIin Member Posts: 197
    My worry would be that if you make an icon that looks like the final product, GameSalad will still impose another set of rounded corners and shading on top of your version.