Can I copy a whole Level/Scene into another Game?

JoeMeisterJoeMeister Member Posts: 602
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Is it possible to copy a whole scene with Rules and all to another game?

I created a nice scene in one of my games and would like to use this scene in my new game
without recreating every instance of it.

Thanks

Comments

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    I would like to do this too further down the line in my game...not on my GS machine at the moment.

Can someone do a quick test to find out.
  • JoeMeisterJoeMeister Member Posts: 602
    I wonder if you could right click on the GS project-Show Package contents and find all the files needed and copy to the new project?
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    you can copy and paste rules, be great if you could copy and paste a whole scene, and have GameSalad bring over the actors in that scene too.
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Not at moment unfortunately. You can drag out images and sound files to the desktop then drag them into the new file if you want, that might save some time. And when dragging and option copying Rules is reinstated, that'll save even more time! By the way, stormystudio, you can't copy and paste Rules either at the moment.

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    Thanks guys for clarifying! I came to that conclusion too after I had copied a scene (which added an additional scene) but as soon as I changed a rule, the change was applied to both scenes.

Not a big deal .... well ... if there was no waiting time (lag) it would not be a big deal but currently, looking at actor properties and than switching to another actor takes long enough to come on here and post "something" LOL and that with all physics disabled!

But I rather do that than pay a company ten grand to create my game :)
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    if anyone knows how to copy all the bits from a scene or actors from one project to another then please post the steps. if its not too complicated then I will write an export/import script. would be nice if GS was a bit more open so I could write tools.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I've found that moving a scene from one version of a game to another version of the *same* game seems to work just fine. We did it with Gravitrixx as we were both working on levels at the same time, and they got put into one master file.

Hope that helps somewhat,

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• ScootsScoots Member Posts: 507
    I have dragged whole scenes from one project into another. Just have two projects opened to home and drag scene into your new project. Then hit the images tab, highlight all and drag those over. Same for audio. The only gotcha is the attributes, You'll have to recreate them for they will be partial. (i.e.) "game." instead of "game.position.x"
    also check all of the "other" tabs in rules. I also copy & paste rules all the time as long as it is a prototype rule and not a specific actor only rule.

Scoots,
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    I find the missing attributes a real pain. It can't be that hard for gs to add code which states "if game.score is missing then add game.score" or self.score etc

As drag and drop has been around for a while, it's hard to believe it's an oversight.

Hope it's in a future release.
  • ScootsScoots Member Posts: 507
    TwistedMech said:
    I find the missing attributes a real pain. It can't be that hard for gs to add code which states "if game.score is missing then add game.score" or self.score etc

As drag and drop has been around for a while, it's hard to believe it's an oversight.

Hope it's in a future release.

@Twisted, a Royal Pain for sure. I think I spend more time checking the attributes than building them from scratch. I have learned a lot by doing it this way but it drives me nuts.