New Beta issues...

quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Hey there,

I've been having a couple of problems with GameSalad since the latest release about a week ago.

I've found that I get a lot of crashes for no particular reason. I'm just adding a sound, or making a new actor, or even just play testing a game, and the whole thing goes down :(

Another issue is that sometimes GameSalad doesn't update if you try and add something to it. Examples include:

*Adding an actor - No new actor is visible
*Adding a new condition to a rule but none appearing

If I shut down my game then re-open it (not re-opening GameSalad itself) then the actor or condition(s) are visible

Finally, I've made a game based that was started in the Space Rocks template. The start sequence goes something like:

Splash Screen > Titles > Ready Screen > Level 1

Now, if you start the game and go through the scenes as above, things are just fine. However, when I restart the game (there's a restart actor that when clicked on will take you back to the ready screen) the Ready Screen appears and then the game crashes.

I've made a new Ready Screen but that also crashes on restart.

The restart actor itself just changes the value of some attributes and changes the scene back the Ready Screen.

This did not happen when using the previous release of GameSalad.

Is this a known issue? Any suggestions?

I'm using a Macbook, bought last year. Specs are:

Processor: 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Many thanks

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

Comments

• JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    No clue here, not having any issues really. I've had a few crashes, but I don't think it was related to the software, though it could be.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I haven't had many issues either, and have only had the program crash a couple of times while trying to add new things.

Only when I double click on the GameSalad icon does it say that the program has crashed, then it goes straight into the menu of games to choose from (game templates)

So that is strange! I wonder what it could be?
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Yep, sorry, this was mainly meant for the GameSalad guys and gals!

I've sent a bunch of error reports, so hopefully someone their end can work it out?

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• nulonulo Member Posts: 315
    im having some of the same problems. also the title, description and instructions of my game, at some point, disappeared.
    also some of my actors have disappeared from the list, even though they could still be found at the game preview (same problem on the beta before)
    i keep a couple of copies of the game file because one of them went completely black and deleted all my images, after i tried adding a display text behavior.
    Just had an inopportune crash... That'll teach me to save more often =(
    im having a problem over here, not sure if its related to the new gs version or not, but a problem anyway.
    i import an png, then i apply it to my actor that is exactly the same size as the png. everything looks fine in the actors list.
    but when i place the actor in the preview window, the png quality goes incredibly down, like if i was using an image 100x smaller than the actor's size.
    Nulo I figured this out the hard way. Sometimes when you edit a .png it changes the quality. When you save it make sure it is as a png-24. What program do you use?
  • Ok. So just FYI, when you first start 0.4.4 you may see a "Send Crash Report" dialog box. This is not a crash with this version, but rather your crash logs from previous versions that have yet to be sent. Once you send them, that will clear out the crash logs.

That may help some who may think that 0.4.4 crashes right off the bat.

We are looking into the causes of the other crashes. Please keep sending those in so we can find the cause.
    big problem over here! all of my actors disappeared from the inspector view.
    they still continue in the preview area, and if i press play the game works like it should.
    but i cant continue editing the game this way =/
    This may sound common sense, but have you restarted the program? Restarted the comp? Alot of times that will clear up issues.
    unfortunately no success with restarting my mac. =/
    strange thing is gs "changed" even though i didnt save the file.
    example:
    i open my file. everything looks fine. i work 5 min on it, then gs starts acting strange, very slow, little round mac sphere turning for too long. so i simply close gs *without* saving the file. when i open the file again, no actors.
    I've noticed some slowdown when working with it as well. Usually when I have alot of Behaviours in my actors & I open them up. It usually occurs after I've been working for an hour or so. I just reboot & it'll be fine for a while.

BTW Apple key + S is your friend =)