Mac App Store Rumour!

DimensionGamesDimensionGames PRO Posts: 993
A post from Mashable:

Apple’s application store for Macs may be coming on Monday, December 13, according to Appletell, which cites an inside source.

Steve Jobs insisted on an early launch of the Mac App Store, perhaps to take advantage of the holiday shopping fever, the source said. A December 6 launch was also considered, but Appletell’s source thinks it’s far more likely that the launch will happen early next week. Apple has made no official announcements about the launch, except that the store will open this winter.

We’ve discussed the upsides and downsides of offering desktop software to consumers through an app store at length. Software developers we spoke to think it would be a mistake not to participate in the app store, but API restrictions and the impossibility of setting up upgrade pricing for products are causes for concern.

Comments

• xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    Hi,
    I have read an article in an upcoming magazine that what you are saying is true and they are planning for January or so ...

Exciting, especially if we could get GS to export for the desktop by then?
  • DimensionGamesDimensionGames PRO Posts: 993
    Would be cool :) Im not to bothered at the moment about as I don't think it will be as successful.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    Well you can already build to desktop. I havent done it but i think that instead of sending you back the xcode project like for iphone, it sends you back the .app file so you can just run it like that, instead of sending you a xcode project file in mac version. Because if it sent you back a xcode project like the iphone, and you had a mac dev account, couldnt you just build it threw xcode exactly like i phone except selecting mac as the release type and then submit to appstore? Thats what im wondering...
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    I think we need to buy another $99 license from apple because the one we use if for iOS? (right?)

After that, the desktop needs to be registered with apple (added as a device) like our phones or ipads and then I don't know if GS is up for the task or not?

I suppose we have to try to find out :)
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    yes, you need a mac dev account.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    This looks like a job for... GameSalad Direct®

I'm not sure if I want to spend $99 on another Apple license. I imagine others might feel the same. The GameSalad team has an opportunity to capitalize on this situation. Developers here can dabble, see if they're interested in becoming registered developers for this new market. So, a single game could be used as a test... where GameSalad is the publisher.

Even if that idea is not a good one, or simply not desired, it does seem like a good idea for GameSalad to be a leader in this new market. With quick iPad support, and iAds support, GameSalad has given itself an edge over the competitors.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Personally I'd rather see GameSalad concentrate on tidying up the current iphone/ipad tools, and add much needed features to the basic editor like multiple copy/paste, hidable layers, gridsnapping and the often discussed arrays and leaderboards before they even consider jumping head first into trying to get the software ready for Mac game development/publishing.

Finish off and tidy up what we already have, before commiting to further devices...
  • DimensionGamesDimensionGames PRO Posts: 993
    Totally with you chunky :) I feelthat the mac app store will not produce gaming apps as much andore functional apps which leans away from GS.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    The quality bar for Mac apps is going to need to be much higher than iphone/ipad apps... so I think only the best GameSalad devs would stand a chance of surviving and make a living from it.

Im sure Ive already read remarks from apple that they plan to incorporate a much stricter approval process and higher quality.

Havent they also stated that there will be no demos/Lite apps on the store too...
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    Chunkypixels said:
    The quality bar for Mac apps is going to need to be much higher than iphone/ipad apps... so I think only the best GameSalad devs would stand a chance of surviving and make a living from it.

I totally agree with that.. Maybe not even the "best" can do it because desktop gaming is much more advanced than what we do..(At least what we are trying to do)

And there is this. On the AppStore, iPhone users at leas have an idea what their device is capable of. And they see a lot of simple but fun type of games. But desktop users, especially the ones that don't have an iDevice, don't aware of that kind of thing. They are used to play "advanced" and "long-lasting" games even if the games are free games.. So the desktop users will be much more picky.
  • ShpintShpint Member Posts: 404
    it's now available. Can gamesalad publish game for the Mac AppStore yet?