The Next Big Thing Here at GS

SethsAppsSethsApps Member, PRO Posts: 328
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
Lets face it, no matter who you are if your'e posting on the GameSalad forums you are either in need of some great graphics/sound effects or can supply everyone else with great graphics/sound effects. When we realized this a few months ago we started brainstorming. Here we are: four months after the initial idea with a rough draft that needs to be brought to the community.

A few of my colleagues and I have decided that we really need a marketplace for all GameSalad users (extended if possible). I know that GameSalad had talked about releasing a "store" for their users over a year ago and, seeing no progress, we thought now is as good a time as ever to start organizing details for the GS Marketplace. Ill list out some details below and look forward to everyones contributions to our plan! This is going to be a HUGE benefit to the community if we can get it out there and have great participation.

Details:
- The GS Marketplace will be set up like a store
- There will be two types of users:
* Member - free membership to anyone who wants to sign up
* Designer - can buy items from the store but more importantly may submit their graphics and sound effects to be sold
- All items will be bought in the store through a manual system to reduce risk of hacking
* Items can be bought either with real money or with GS Coins (GSC) that you can buy with real money
- Designers will submit their graphics and/or sounds to the admins and if they are approved people will be able to buy them.
- The site will handle all transactions and money or GSC will be added or subtracted within a balance seen on each members login page.
- Each developers work will be divided up to show on their profile and the best will be featured on the front page of the website.
- Files will be attached to emails once bought
- You can become a Designer for a small fee ($20 or so)
- Designers will gain at least 80% on every sale

If you have any questions, suggestions, or anything that might help us develop this site into something great don't hesitate to comment, we need every bit of input we can use! One of the biggest decisions we have to make is about using either real currency to buy and sell images/sounds or using GSC that can be traded in and out for money through the GS Marketplace.

Thanks in advance for your feedback! Looking forward to seeing your responses :D

Comments

• DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    So is this a new addition to idevarena.com?
    And why would I pay 20$, then give away 20% on all sales when I can buy an wordpress store plugin for 50$?
    What about the quality? Will there be some sort of quality control?

But I think it's good that the GS community gets access to more cheap ( and hopefully good) graphics.
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    Sounds good. I would just like to see a yellow post agreeing.
  • SethsAppsSethsApps Member, PRO Posts: 328
    @dhondon - This is separate from idevarena (which is currently getting its update :D ). Thanks for your feedback though maybe just a $20 charge on top and nothing taken away from sales will be good? What do you think of that? Were still just throwing around ideas so nothing is set in stone. Also, there will definitely be quality control! If you have seen any of Ian's graphics (DebugDesign) that is something were looking for. Also, there are quite a few other artists I have seen on here that have magnificent work as well...it will be a great money making opportunity for the sellers and a great source of resources for the rest of the users.

Yes, this will definitely be a great way for the whole GS community to get some cheap, great graphics!
  • SylonSylon Member Posts: 31
    It looks like it would be more profitable for developers to just offer their stuff here. They reach exactly who they want to target and pay no fees.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Sylon said:
    It looks like it would be more profitable for developers to just offer their stuff here. They reach exactly who they want to target and pay no fees.

Only if they continually bump their offering so it stays on the front page. Otherwise its hard to find info since the search really sucks on this forum.
  • SylonSylon Member Posts: 31
    Which isn't a hard thing to do when you're trying to sell something.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    correct except it will clog up the forum and defeat the purpose. this is a great community. It would suck to see it turned into an ad network where it is impossible to find help.
    ^ Ill second the search feature being halfway broken. And it will bring all of the content together, making it easier to find what your'e looking for.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    yea, as far as I'm concerned, the original poster should only bump their own post 3 times before letting it die, unless they are adding something worthwhile (new information or results, stuff like that) or responding to another user.
    I think the same, Im just not getting a lot of feedback on having a marketplace so maybe there isnt enough interest to start one...
    The last thing that was said about it was over a year ago i think so i don't think it will materialize now or anytime very soon. Does anyone have a contact number or email for a gamesalad head that would have the answer so that i may consult them on this?
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    No Surge, they mentioned it recently when they changed over from GS direct to the current model we have now.
    I think if it was far enough they would have stopped in on this post and informed me though...
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    you know how "good" they are at communicating right????

;o)
    ........bump..........Did anyone notice my subtle ...........bump?.......
    I did but im the original poster :D

It needs a lot more support before either GS or anyone will start it up.
  • UnicornifyUnicornify Member Posts: 118
    +1
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    best thing in my opinion would be a monthly charge, no matter how much you download.

Not sure that is possible though if the designers want income :)

A free section would be good too, for designers who want to give their artwork out for free! :)
    Absolutely! Its not a marketplace without some free stuff to entertain all parties :)
    Absolutely. Definitely free stuff. Hey SurgeApps, why don't you put a poll on this page to see what people think more easily?
    Im not sure how, I looked everywhere and cant see anything about adding a poll :/
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Hi SurgeApps, you write your new thread and when you post it, there'll be words something like "do you want to make a poll?" (Can't remember exactly what is says, but similar) Set your questions then your done. :-)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

I know what it is. Some categories that you put the forum in don't support polls (I think).