What's Cooking...

PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
I've been pretty busy with app development lately. The new GameSalad 0.9.0 update is great. With access to "Professional" behaviors, I'm now able to create new types of apps that didn't make economic sense before...

Free Apps - The first thing I've done is go back and relaunch some existing apps. If Apple's review goes smoothly, Annoyed Tomatoes and Arcade Action will be available for free. Considering that Arcade Action was specifically designed for iAds, this is an interesting test. Will free apps outperform paid apps on the iTunes App Store? While others already have their own opinions on the matter, I've been looking forward to testing it myself. I'm waiting to see if the apps will perform well.

The Textbook (As an app) - I worked really hard on converting The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook to an app. I think I did a nice job. Version 1.0 is fast. I think it's quicker and easier to use than iBooks. The app is a universal binary that supports iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch — in all orientations. It goes from 320 pixels wide to 1024 pixels wide. I'm waiting to see how this version works out. If Apple approves it (because they rejected my first attempt) then I can expand on version 1.0 of this app.

Also, if Apple approves this app, I'm considering shutting down the Google Checkout ordering through my website. There were two main reasons for creating this app...

1 - Increase visibility - I don't think that many people know about GameSalad. With the book out there on the app store, I think it might generate more popularity for this website and the book.

2 - Easier management - It's hard keeping track of all the ordering. I'd rather focus on making apps and let Apple worry about the e-commerce portions of the business.

Reviews - I'm considering a return to reviewing apps. I've been playing with some new techniques. I have a new idea for a project, which I think will make my reviews more distinguishable from a sea of existing game reviews.

Lost - I received an email from Apple today. I lost the use of one of my game names. I waited too long to upload a binary. Apparently, when you lose a name... it's permanent. I can't use the name with my account again. I might have to focus on making some games to protect my other game names. While the game name that I lost wasn't that good, I have two really cool game names that I don't want to lose. The problem is that I'm waiting to see the results from my iAds test. Is it more profitable for me to make advertisement based games? If so, that dramatically changes the design of the game.

Holidays - I'm also waiting to see how many of my apps will be approved before Apple shuts down reviewing for the Christmas break. I have three in the queue.

So, that's what's cooking. I'm not sure which project I'll be working on next. I feel a bit reluctant to keep working so hard without seeing results. Yet, this is what I enjoy doing and I seem to be getting better at it.

Comments

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Photics said:
    There were two main reasons for creating this app...

I forgot something. There is another advantage to having an app. It means that you might be able to make money too. I've known about LinkShare for a while. But without the OpenURL option, I didn't think it was that important. Now that I can add links to my app, I can make more money... and maybe you can too.

Here's how it works...

Free app is released...
    The app has a link to the full version...
    An affiliate link is used...
    A customer clicks on an "upgrade" link from the free app...
    The customer buys the full version!

That increases your revenue. From what I'm reading, the program pays like a 5% commission. So instead of just getting 70% from your 99¢ app, you can get like 75%. It seems that all you have to do is join up with Apple's Affiliate program and use the right links.

What does this have to do with the book?

It means that you can make money by adding a link to your game or website. "Want to learn how to build games like this?"

You can create house advertisements that rest underneath your iAd location. That way, if there are no available advertisements from Apple, you can post up an advertisement for the book... your other apps... or apps from other GameSalad developers... and you could make money.

Isn't that nice?! :)

Here's a link for more information about Apple's Affiliate program...
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/affiliates/

That's the idea anyway. I still haven't read through all of the information or joined up with LinkShare yet. I'm not entirely sure it's worth the effort. But I realized something. If I sold 1000 games through the OpenURL, it would be like an extra $50 just by using a URL from LinkShare.
    The app version of the textbook was approved. It should be available tomorrow.
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    GREAT news photics and thanks for jolting down all the info! You are a true publisher in many ways :)

Oh, and now that you make extra millions with all those ads, are you having that special Christmas sale on your book in the next few days (for those of us who are playing with the very low Canadian Dollar)?
    xyloFUN said:
    GREAT news photics and thanks for jolting down all the info! You are a true publisher in many ways :)

Heh, I think you're in a good mood because of your trumpet app. Nice graphic.
    Oh, and now that you make extra millions with all those ads, are you having that special Christmas sale on your book in the next few days (for those of us who are playing with the very low Canadian Dollar)?

Heh, nice try, but the Canadian dollar is about even with the United States Dollar.