The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook - App Version

PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
Wow, Apple didn't give me any trouble this time. The app version of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook is now on the App Store.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/an-unofficial-gamesalad-textbook/id409726843

I'm very happy with this version. There are some really great features.

Universal Binary - It works on the iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone.
Improved Graphics - The images were improved for sharpness and now most are in color.
Orientation - Landscape or Portrait, read how you want!
FAST! - I think my app is much faster than iBooks.

I have future updates planned, but that depends on the popularity of this app.

Comments

• diegocsdiegocs Member Posts: 531
    awesome
  • diegocsdiegocs Member Posts: 531
    promo codes haha
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    diegocs said:
    promo codes haha

LMAO.

I'd take one too. LOL
  • magic101himagic101hi Member Posts: 713
    Are you sending promos to the people who bought the original textbook?

-Josh
    Wow so many Options. I really hate reading on my iphone so i'm torn. I also would really prefer to read in paper but then no updates. am I correct this version cannot be read on computer?
    magic101hi said:
    Are you sending promos to the people who bought the original textbook?

-Josh

I would bet not, there are prob more than 50 people who ordered it.
  • magic101himagic101hi Member Posts: 713
    so send it out to the first 50 that ask :D

-Josh
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    tenrdrmer said:
    Wow so many Options. I really hate reading on my iphone so i'm torn. I also would really prefer to read in paper but then no updates. am I correct this version cannot be read on computer?

Well, someone requested the printed version, so I took it out of retirement today. It's the older version of the book. However, Lulu is having a sale today...

20% off on paperbacks...
    http://www.lulu.com/holiday_coupons/?cid=eng_tphp_advent_120110

The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook (Printed Version) is a paperback.
    http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/the-unofficial-gamesalad-textbook/9202566

There's really not a huge difference between 0.8.9 and 0.9.0. So, if you want a printed copy, you might not want to skip this opportunity.
    tenrdrmer said:
    I would bet not, there are prob more than 50 people who ordered it.

For those that ordered the book through Google Checkout before the app version was released, and selected "Yes" to email marketing, I contacted them about Promo Codes. If they wanted a promo code, they simply had to email me back with a request for a promo code. This morning, I processed all of those emails. With the promo codes remaining, I'm contacting various websites about reviewing the app version of the textbook.

Perhaps that will lead to more popularity for my book and GameSalad itself. It seems odd to me. I don't think the world gets it. Programming is not need and the basic version of the software is free. This forum should be filled with lots of new members, but it seems a little slow here. So, maybe the textbook will be a catalyst for some good action.
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    i bought the book last night, my wife is divorcing me (because i couldn't stop reeding 'till 4 AM!!!!) and learned a lot of things!
    I wished I had it sooner but the ebook reader thing was not worth to bother with. How ever, as an app, it makes total sense.
    Photocs, you did well :)
    Heh, is that post true? Were you really up to 4AM and is your wife leaving you?
    xyloFUN said:
    you did well :)

Thanks! Something felt different when I was working on this project... like I was working on something really special. It seems that the textbook has helped a lot of people and made them happy!
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    I'm wondering why Gendai hasn't been in contact about this (or have they).

Seems crazy to me that they don't do a deal with you and include a copy as part of the initial sign up and give you a few $$$ for every new member.

Seems like it would be a great companion for GS and i would of loved a book like this when i 1st started.

Darren.
  • BSideGamesBSideGames Member Posts: 392
    I bought A copy of the ibook(before you stopped selling it), but would love to get new update if I could have a promo or something.

I could email you proof that I bought it if necessary.

Thank Asher
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    Photics said:
    Heh, is that post true? Were you really up to 4AM and is your wife leaving you?

YES, i was up 'till later than 4 am reading and when i got to the article where you recommend us to change the release date every day or face the consequences, I scrambled to quickly make that adjustment as my app had gone into review two days prior.
    I finally managed to change the date but then these bums held back my app as they have not yet processed my tax info :(
    I am not a business and did FedEX them the signed pdf but they are behaving like freakin' government workers so i might not get my app approved this year?

hoo nose ;)

p.s. wife is still with me :)
  • SnowSnow Member Posts: 124
    I got the book. Looks pretty good on the small screen. It's perfectly readable and though the images of the behaviors are small, they are still detailed enough to see and read. Thanks Photics.
    utopiangames said:
    Seems crazy to me that they don't do a deal with you and include a copy as part of the initial sign up and give you a few $$$ for every new member.

With the new app version, just about anyone here can join in on the fun. Apple has an affiliate program for iTunes. From the way I understand the program, it's like a 4%-5% commission for each sale. The book is listed as $24.99. So, I think that's a $1.25 for each sale. It's pretty much no effort... just create a tagged link and post it up on your website... or even in your apps if you have the Professional version of GameSalad.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/affiliates/
    Snow said:
    I got the book. Looks pretty good on the small screen. It's perfectly readable and though the images of the behaviors are small, they are still detailed enough to see and read. Thanks Photics.

Pinch to zoom works in the app. You can zoom in on images. I think this is better than the way iBooks handles images.
    xyloFUN said:
    p.s. wife is still with me :)

That's good! Heh, I don't want to break up any marriages.

I looked at the reviews in the United States part of the iTunes Store. It looks good to see such great feedback. I sent out a lot of promo codes. I'm holding on to the last few for the press. Heh... none of them wrote back to me yet, but it is the weekend.