What do you guys think of this little strategy of mine ...

xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
I am playing with the idea of making the clarinet iphone app free until the update.

What I'm wondering is this:

Because it is free, there is a chance of many downloads

When an app is installed and an update is available, there will be some sort of notification and which time, the user decides to do so, or not.

I want to drive as much traffic to my page as possible and one way of doing this is with a (temporary) free app.

Am i on the right track here or is there something else I should consider?

The strategy is that the update will go back to asking $.99 again but offer a lot of new features which I have implemented. What do you think?

Comments

• rickdalrickdal Member Posts: 30
    Based on what I have been seeing from app sales I'm convinced that it's better to release your game as a paid app first, then later reduce price to free for awhile. I think there are tons of sites that announce price drops for apps. So if you first release for free there is no price drop, thus no boost in number of sites posting your app for sale. Just my opinion tho...
    Rick
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    Well, once a customer has the app, they always get updates for free.

So while you won't get any money from those people, hopefully they will write nice reviews and spread the news about the app to future customers.
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    Well, once a customer has the app, they always get updates for free.

So while you won't get any money from those people, hopefully they will write nice reviews and spread the news about the app to future customers.
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    thanks Rick,
    that's what I am thinking too :)

firemaplegames,
    the fact that I don't want to disappoint those who buy my apps counts for the strategy. Those who buy will get the next version free and those who don't, get "something" that once was the best I was able to do.

I think I will drop one app and let people know that a massive update is just around the corner ...
    LOL sometimes i wish grade one was not my senior year!

Thank for pointing that out! That doesn't bother me because the bigger goal is to spread the name and bring traffic to the site which is not easy to do without spending big bucks on adwords/adsense.

On a little side note, the other day i accidentally opened the iphone app (clarinet) on the iPad because I forgot what was plugged in where LOL.
    The graphics don't look half bad on the ipad. I made the clarinet HD for the iphone4.

Back to work ....
  • App-AgencyApp-Agency Member Posts: 3
    @rickdal:

You're absolutely right!

Markus
    rickdal said:
    Based on what I have been seeing from app sales I'm convinced that it's better to release your game as a paid app first, then later reduce price to free for awhile. I think there are tons of sites that announce price drops for apps. So if you first release for free there is no price drop, thus no boost in number of sites posting your app for sale. Just my opinion tho...
    Rick

I am new to all of this so it took a few days to sink in!
    Yes, there are lots of sites that picked up the price drop and it reflected on the downloads ... even appannie shows encouraging numbers for the little composers trumpet!

There is so much to learn .... developing the app is almost the smallest part if you think about it :)

Again, a "special" thank you to Markus for translating the writeup to German! What I especially like about his writeup is that he "got it" and captured the true meaning of the app!
    His site, http://www.app-kostenlos.de does a great job introducing interesting apps and I already found more useful stuff there :)