Ever heard of the upcoming animated movie "Foodfight!"? Lawsuit threatened.

design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
Some of you may know of my game Food Fight! which has been on the app store for almost a year now. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/food-fight/id352646643?mt=8 Well, a couple weeks ago our client (who we made the game for) got a letter demanding they remove the game as we were supposedly infringing on this someday-to-be-made movie.

The implication was that there has been so much publicity that we were just trying to take advantage of them.

WTF?

So I did some looking and the movie is in development, and has been for a few years, but no release date and nobody I've talked to has ever heard of it. Here is what the studio is marketing: http://www.thresholdanimationstudios.com/video.php?id=foodfight

Now they are shopping for investors. And I'm sure they will develop some sort of game based on the movie.

Anyway, I think the answer is just no, we will not remove the game. I don't see any similarity to their movie characters and our game characters or game play, the term "Food Fight" is pretty generic. And finally, there is another movie called "food fight", a documentary that got rave reviews when it came out a couple years ago.

So here is their movie's main character:

And here is a screen of the characters in our game:

Anybody see any resemblance?

Comments

• simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    Sounds like their lawyers are sending out form letters to scare people. Clearly there is no infringement as there is nothing the same except the name which is a common term and unable to be copyrighted.

I wouldn't take any action and just wait and see if they followup. At that point I would send them a letter asking them to point out what violations they deem the game to have made .. so that if they reply to that at least you would better determine if they have any issues with merit.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    simo103 said:
    Sounds like their lawyers are sending out form letters to scare people.

Yeah, actually, the letter was from the studio, not an attorney's office, but it was written like an attorney would. Bluff I say. Sounded very legal and threatening. Well, our client has turned it over to their lawyers just to be clear on things, but I don't think they are going to do anything about it. Unfortunately, it's not my call at this point. I'd tell them to bugger off.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    "Starring: Charlie Sheen, Eva Longoria, Wayne Bradly, Hillary Duff, Chris Kattan, Christopher Lloyd, Cloris Leachman

Once the Marketropolis Market closes for the night, product icons come to life. However, problems occur when Brand X comes into the store and Sunshine Goodness disappears."

Sounds like they are ripping off the concept of toy story with the everything comes to life one the store closes plot. and all those big names and we still haven't heard of it yet. I bet its got another year at minimum before its released.

It's prob some fresh outta college lawyer working for the studio trying to build his resume.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Well after looking at the promo video on their website, I thought the film looked pretty low budget, and quite badly put together for a modern animated feature film.

The models and texturing looks like the kind of quality we'd have done for a game intro from 5 years ago.... so looking pretty dated now.

It looks like a straight to video movie for the bargain bins....

So I looked it up on IMDB... and found out it was released 2008/2009, and pretty much flopped. I was shocked to see it had an estimated production budget of $65,000,000 though.... most of that must have gone on the voice actors fees though, as it certainly doesnt look like its gone into the visuals...

So maybe theyre trying to claw back some of that money they wasted.... !
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    If it was a message from Atari games, or someone who owns the rights to the Food Fight video game, I'd probably take down the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_Fight_(video_game)

Personally, I wouldn't use the name Food Fight. I remember that classic 1980's video fondly.

But in this scenario, it's tricky. If I was in the mood for a fight, I'd probably do a lot of laughing. I'm not sure which side would win. I'm not a lawyer. In general, I think they should be friendly about such matters.

Also, I noticed a significant difference. Foodfight... as one word... yours is Food Fight. Which is it? Does it matter? (You're in different areas too. Does a trademark on a movie apply to a video game?)
  • guru-at-zidwareguru-at-zidware Member Posts: 369
    Hi..

First search marks here:
    http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp

There are a lot of LIVE FF marks registered.

Then you need to document your usage of your mark. Did you
    apply for a TM? You have 1 year once you exhibit publicly.

If you are the legitimate owner...you can probably license it to
    them...or do the app work? I would bring in a lawyer to help.

John
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Maybe like Guru said you could do some app work for them, or turn it into a positive.

Also, if you did register the game name, then you're safe, if not, it's a grey area at this point...
  • kinophilekinophile Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am the director of the documentary "FOOD FIGHT" and I am happy to share my experience with you about threatening letters from Threshhold Entertainment. I received several, from two different law firms. If you are interested, please contact me at my listed e-mail address.

Best,
    Chris Taylor
    Director
    FOOD FIGHT
    www.foodfightthedoc.com
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    If I remember right, I was reading somewhere, that even registered trademarks are protected only in their respective category.

Windows is a trademark for computer software with the style, font and logo, how it appears.

You can make a "windows" movie and nobody can sue you. You probably can make even a software called Windows, if you use other fonts and another logo, which are clearly different from the MS product.

Nobody can trademark and copyright a common word.

I would send them to hell, if I were you.
    They try to make a few quick bucks.
    Nobody heared from that movie ever.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    Hunnenkoenig said:
    If I remember right, I was reading somewhere, that even registered trademarks are protected only in their respective category.

Windows is a trademark for computer software with the style, font and logo, how it appears.

You can make a "windows" movie and nobody can sue you. You probably can make even a software called Windows, if you use other fonts and another logo, which are clearly different from the MS product.

Nobody can trademark and copyright a common word.

I would send them to hell, if I were you.
    They try to make a few quick bucks.
    Nobody heared from that movie ever.

That's right. For example, Ford motor company and Ford modeling agency. If there is no reasonable way a person would confuse the two then it is allowable.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    kinophile said:
    Hi,
    I am the director of the documentary "FOOD FIGHT" and I am happy to share my experience with you about threatening letters from Threshhold Entertainment. I received several, from two different law firms. If you are interested, please contact me at my listed e-mail address.

Best,
    Chris Taylor
    Director
    FOOD FIGHT
    www.foodfightthedoc.com

Wow, thanks. Email sent. I'll now go put your movie in my Netflix queue.