iPhone or iPad version - which one is more profitable?

xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
Hey gang,
my first app, the little composers trumpet is being very well received and my instinct that the world is ready to learn in different ways has proven true.
Someone told me to go with iPhone apps because iphone users outnumber ipad users but for some reason, it is my ipad app the receives most of the attention (and it doesn't even feature that beautiful blond lady on the cover like the clarinet app does!!) LOL

So, my question is: Since my time is limited, I need to prioritize and therefore value your opinion regarding what group i should target first?
There will eventually be versions for both but do you guys think that in order to keep the momentum going, I need to focus on ipad ... or not?

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    My next game is targeting the iPad because there is so much less competition
  • GamersRejoiceGamersRejoice Member Posts: 817
    jonmulcahy said:
    My next game is targeting the iPad because there is so much less competition

This is what I was thinking too. Plus my game idea wasn't created for the small screen on the iPhone. My next game however I'll probably try and develop for both platforms.
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    tshirtbooth said:
    for me

iphone 75% of my sales
    1pad 25% of my sales

For me it's more like
    iPhone: 90%
    iPad: 10%
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    interesting!
    In my case, the ipad version is getting all the attention and so i am making the piano, which i hope to send in to apple today, again first for the ipad with a iphone version to follow next year :)

I love the Netherlands! They are a very musical nation and hold the number one spot with downloads.

Hey, there is something else ...

The other day i discovered appannie and there i found my trumpet listings.
    But when i go to the itunes store of a specific country, i can not find my app at all. What do the numbers which appannie displays mean?

thanks for clarifying :)
  • VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    There are very less iPad games, but they are more expensive to buy, but iPhone games usually out sell iPad games by A LOT.
    ~CTM
  • GLGAMESGLGAMES SingaporeMember Posts: 988
    I think it will be best to have the game in all available version, the bigger the market, the better the exposure and sales. Thats my point of view. even better if you can port it over to android as well, that will be another option.
  • XpandemicXpandemic Member Posts: 157
    Tip: Be Everywhere :)
    Yikes,
    It's weird to discover an old post but still, the topic is of great interest to me and will be for a while.

Now, that I have over a month worth of tracking available to me, the winner is the iPad!

How ever, the windows version of my trumpet is catching up fast so in a few weeks, the picture will become very clear of where the best sales hide! :-)
  • ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    From what I heard and think, it will be iPhone, but having it on both will just boost your word of mouth advertising etc.

Why not make the games in high enough res for the iPad then just resize them for the iPhone.

that's what i'll do on my next game : )
    After reading my post and the responses, I should clarify a few things!

I don't make games and my stuff falls under the term "music / educational".
    The apps are MUCH easier to use on larger screens and thus, the iPad receives more sales than the iPhone.

I have a pie chart that lists all of my 10 apps and the brake down is:

31.50 % - Magic Flute (iPad)
    31.12 % - Electric Piano (iPad)
    13.62 % - Little Trumpet HD (iPad)
    11.25 % - Austrian Accordion (iPad)
    5.25 % - Little Composers Trumpet (iPad & first app!)
    7.25 % - Other < These are the three iPhone apps and one free iPad app which is not generating sales as it is a lite version.

So less than 10 % of my sales come from the phone apps!

Back then, when I posted I was advised to focus on the iPhone because of to favorable user base. Now I can clearly see that for what I do, the iPhone might as well not exist! :)