Should I go Free for a day or make a lite version?

tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
I'm trying to come up with ideas to bring Galactic.Towers up to some sort of visible level in the app store.

What has been more successful for your apps. Going Free for a couple of days, Or making a lite version with just a couple levels and adding a URL to the full version?

I know several People have tried both ways on here. So curious of the results.

I also have an update approved and ready for release, I think I have read this on here before but the updates do nothing for any visibility correct? Such as the release date list or anything?

Thanks For your comments

Comments

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I've thought about that. would it be better suited to just release a full free version side by side and offer an upgrade to remove ads you think? I hate the idea of dropping ads onto people who have paid for the game.
  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Member Posts: 1,246
    I would go with Lite + Ads. I don't think people like the free for a day games because they feel like a sucker if they didn't make the free download.

Put ads on so you'll make some money, and make it lite. This way you will make some money out of it and still get people to buy later.

Just my 2c...

GR
  • joshmiller602joshmiller602 Member Posts: 206
    Gabbyr said:
    I would go with Lite + Ads. I don't think people like the free for a day games because they feel like a sucker if they didn't make the free download.

I'm not sure that's likely. After they pay for the game, on the app store it doesn't tell them what the price is (it just says "installed"). So, as far as the user who paid for it is concerned, the price hasn't changed/they don't know what the current price is after they download it.
  • joshmiller602joshmiller602 Member Posts: 206
    I have had an app on the appstore for 6 months or so now, and it gets about 5-10 downloads a day at $0.99. A few times I have made it free for a week (sales then naturally increase 10-fold once it's free), but then I start charging again, and for the next 3 weeks sales are around 30/day....at....$1.99!

When I see sales go back down to closer to the 5-a-day range (usually after a few weeks), I repeat the cycle with the same results...Free for a week, then watch my sales soar for the rest of the month.

Any idea why this happens guys? I just know it works for me.

- Josh
    I agree I dont think its that big of an issue. unfortunatly I have been told your Free downloads will not affect your rank when you go back to paid. so not much of a point in doing it imo. I plan on doing almost full free version with iAds and see what happens.
  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Member Posts: 1,246
    Josh, that strategy is very interesting. I wonder why it happens... if you move from paid to free does it put you on the top of the list as a new free app? Same when it goes back to paid?

I do see reviews on some apps of pissed off paid users which sees their paid app being offered for free. They go back and change their review to one star and post an angry note. They know that because a lot of users use the "Free For a Day" and App Tracker tools.

Also, I'm surprised by what tenrdrmer is saying about free ranking vs. paid ranking, is that true?

GR.