I am releasing a piano and wonder if I should do a free "basic" version?

xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
Hi,
After learning a few things and making mistakes which have been very educational, I am ready to release my first "big" app, a piano that teaches children to play and to compose as well as ear training plus a few other things ...

I am wondering if I should release an instrument only version for $0.99, and then make it free so that various websites will feature it.
This version would only be the instrument without the new teaching content.

The full version will be $5.99 or maybe more ... don't know yet.

I probably have a new youtube video of the UI and keyboard up tomorrow ... it's getting late AGAIN!

I really appreciate any helpful hints, especially from those who have travelled the road before me. I know there is no guaranty to success and apps take on their own life once released but based on my research and the way the instrument turned out, iPad owners who don't mind their children banging on it WILL want to have this app because there is nothing like it out there!

Comments

• VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    I'd say leave it free, and feature your full version in it. You would get SO many more downloads!
    ~CTM
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    Have a free version with a link to the full version.

You could also have an intger game attribute (game.TimesPlayes)

Load game.TimesPlayed
    In the very first scene have a rule that says change game.TimesPlayed to (game.TimesPlayed+1)%10
    Save game.TimesPlayed

Then put this rule in a popup actor that says "Try the real thing!"
    Rule: When game.TimesPlayed = 9
    Interpolate X to middle of screen (depends on device iPad or iPhone)
    Timer After 2 seconds
    ----URL (insert appstore link for full here)

This means that every tenth time the free version is played it will take them to the full version in the appstore
  • VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    scitunes said:
    Have a free version with a link to the full version.

You could also have an intger game attribute (game.TimesPlayes)

Load game.TimesPlayed
    In the very first scene have a rule that says change game.TimesPlayed to (game.TimesPlayed+1)%10
    Save game.TimesPlayed

Then put this rule in a popup actor that says "Try the real thing!"
    Rule: When game.TimesPlayed = 9
    Interpolate X to middle of screen (depends on device iPad or iPhone)
    Timer After 2 seconds
    ----URL (insert appstore link for full here)

This means that every tenth time the free version is played it will take them to the full version in the appstore

Great concept! I'll have to use that!
    ~CTM
    For lite games you could set this up so that when they complete a certain number of levels it redirects to the appstore.
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    How about making the free one sound like one of those toy pianos for 3 year olds and the full version sound like a grand piano. :)
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    scitunes said:
    For lite games you could set this up so that when they complete a certain number of levels it redirects to the appstore.

Just automatically? thats genius but will definitely piss people off.
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    I think I will keep this simple ...

Basically, the app needs to start at $099 just so that all the websites that track price changes will pick it up!

I have given everything a lot of consideration and since "simple" is always my main goal, I think that I just make a button that will make an image visible which will show the missing features.
    This way, they can click on that and close the pop up to continue playing or, if interested, fire up their browser and go to xyloFUN.com or little composers.com and find a link to the apple store .... A bit tedious but until I can afford the pro version, it will have to do.

@code monkey:
    I had a hard time with the sounds because the were clicks which only accrue when testing on the iPad.
    I've lowered the sound volume on the samples and ended up recording new ones, using a different sound.

Now the clicking is still present but minimal.

I'll see how things go later when I test again :)
    Hi scitunes,
    i was using the ipad for my reply above and was not planning on a "long" answer ...

Now that I had tome to let your suggestion sink in, i think your advise is GREAT!
    While I would like to "not" nag the users ever, i also need to generate revenue if I want to stay afloat.

So I will make a popup, inviting them to check out the full version AND, if the app is currently offered for free or on sale.

If i get enough sales to justify my adventure, can always update and remove that part. right?

Again, thanks for your suggestion! I am sure that it was useful for many of us here :)
    xyloFUN said:

I have given everything a lot of consideration and since "simple" is always my main goal, I think that I just make a button that will make an image visible which will show the missing features.

If you show features that are not available in the app itself it will almost certainly get rejected. Just a heads up.
    Thanks scitunes,
    i will not do that! :)
    But I also think i did not explain properly what i meant.

By the popup, I mean that a little "ad" will pop up inviting the user to spend a few Dollars and get everything!

Anyway ... today was not a good day! I am designing a new piano that can hold two more keys and things are not going .... that way I want them to :(