GameSalad "Crash" Issue

CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Just thought this was a little funny.

If you use the Command key(cmd) in your rules, make sure you also do not have other keys that, in combination with the cmd key, causes normal application functionality.

e.g. Cmd+W closes the window. Cmd+Q quits applications.

Comments

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Hey there,

I'm having a rather more serious crash problem with one of my games.

I load it up in gamesalad, click preview, and it just hangs. I have to restart the Macbook every time.

It's slowly deteriorated to a forced restart. First, just one scene was affected. Then another scene was affected. Now it won't even start the game :(

It's very disheartening I can tell you =*(

Can i send someone at GameSalad the file to look at? I'm sure it's not something I've done as the game was working fine and I didn't add anything new to it.

Cheers,

QS?

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• beatragebeatrage Member Posts: 126
    I have to say that I was alittle depressed today because I have tryied to continue making my game but game salad have crashed more than 30 times with me today....and I really doesn´t know what to say here....

I just created a scene with the size of 2880 x 320 and with that large scene I got a large background PNG picture on it...but then I thought that if I created a background 960 x 320 I could redulce my memory putting 3 repeated images on each other´s side like 3 X 960 = 2880 but gamesalad let me preview the game only one time and then after that when I entered the scene actor page the program didn´t showed me the actors and directly closed the program fast! It happened with me actually more than 30 times today!...does it mean that it can´t handle the same big picture 3 times as a background tile??also when I try to open the file it closes at first...and doesn´t let me touch anything just iddleing...

please this is not happening...I almost break my mouse today...
    just some report here...

nerver...but ...NEVER and ever try to split your background in 3 pieces because the program is going to crash like HELL!!

I tested GS today with only one big backgrund 2880 x 320 instead of 3 x 960 x 320 and the program handled better!! with NO CRASH!!

I tryied to do this because I´ve been making games with gamemaker language for a long time doind this to reduce my background sprites data( and it works indeed )

anyway..no problem to deal with!
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    cool!
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    This is good to know b/c I was just asking what is the max size allowed for background images, especially when doing a long platformer or shoot-em-up game, and according to Codemonkey, (under optimizing game performance thread) in order to optimize game performance, especially for iphone games, iphone will not accept images higher than 1024!

So does this exclude background images, or are background images only allowed to be 1024 or below? And if so, what if we run into a problem just like Beatrage has, and the program continues to crash....!
    " images higher than 1024 "

I don´t know about that!!
    and I am using a background sprite 2880x320 large!

Does it mean that my game background size will slow down the frame hate on iphone??

we need a tool to test it on the iphone while we are developing because we could fix the errors faster!