iAds on game with low sales?

rdcuberdcube Member Posts: 361
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
Hi y'all,
Well, I have a game that didn't sold more than 20~30 USD in the whole year in 2010 :(
But it got downloaded more than 1000 times when I set it for free :)
I was able towards the last minute to upgrade my express account to pro...mainly for iAds and URL forwarding.

I have also been learning corona (so far no more than 30hrs into it) and feel that by recreating (new images and bit of a game change play) and adding openfeint and facebook posting, it might get some love again ;)

My question is, should I re-release the game with OF/FB integration, or just add iAds and leave it free?

My conflict of emotions is, someone actually paid for a game to all of a sudden get an update and is nothing more than ADS >{
I hate adds, but it seems that every time I put the game for free, it gets quite a few downloads...so, not sure.

Re-release with iAds, re-release with new graphics and OF/FB or launch with OF/FB as a new game?
please vote and/or leave a comment.

Thanks,
RD

Comments

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I would say, if it hasn't been paid for for months just add iAds and see what happens. I wouldn't feel bad as long as it has been free for a while. It's not that common for people to keep playing iOS games for months on end.
    So no offense but if it only had 30 or so paid downloads they are probably not playing anymore as it is. I feel I can say this because my game is in the same boat and I feel the same way about my game.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Personally, I wouldn't put iAds into a paid game. I'd be annoyed if I saw an ad in a game I'd paid for.

Thing is, iAds don't work anyway as a way of making money unless you have a game that people want to keep playing. It all starts with a *good* game, regardless of whether it's paid or free with ads :)

I'd go with one of the openfeint/facebook options!

Good luck, mate!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• xarmianxarmian Member Posts: 124
    As a word of caution - I have had very poor results with iAds so far. Unfortunately apple's fill rate is pathetic at best. Before the holidays it was not bad at about 20%, but now I am getting a fill rate of 5-7% at best and per-click revenue went from as much as $1 per click down to $0.15-$0.30 per click. That being said, you'd probably be able to get more than $30 in a year (assuming your game is 99 cents) on iAds but it's not nearly as I had hoped. Really GameSalad needs to integrate with something like mobclix in order to allow near 100% fill rates.. The way it is, iAd only, it's simply not feasible.

But, if you want to go the iAds route, I would release it as a new game with iAds rather than adding iAds to an existing game. Then you give people the option, if they want to get rid of the ads, to buy the game. And you avoid upsetting anyone that's paid and is potentially still playing.