Can I make a Custom FONT ?

beatragebeatrage Member Posts: 126
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hi there!
I am from brazil and I´ve been working with games since last year developing my game using GML( game maker language ) for my graduation.Two months ago I´ve found about Gamesalad on the web.I am still studying to develop for the iphone/ipod plataform using object-c and other frameworks too...BUT...when I started using your program to port my beat em up game for the iphone/ipod I´ve realized that this way I could finish my port faster than learning everything first(obvious)...but I am dealling with some problems here, like porting the A.I, creating a custom FONT(that I have designed using photoshop( for the GML ), using particles effects(not only to make special attacks, but even to create transition effects for the scenes/rooms(GML^_^) ), create cameras for the cutscenes also dealing with highscore boards and etc...

My first doubts here are:

1 - Can I create a custom ASCII table (like using the photoshop to make the custom fonts) and then use(load) it on gamesalad?

2 - Can I imput codes on gamesalad to make my A.I?

3 - How can I test my game on Iphone/Ipod(is there an emulator?)

4 - How much is the price-tag you are aiming to charge for the ones developing for the apple store?

5 - if I have a hackintosh-PC to develop using your software would it have any problems?

6 - how can I change the shape of the particles on gamesalad?(like to produce smoke,water,light,star,fire,energy effects)

7 - Also, can I mix the particles to create another effects?

I am sorry to make so many question for you guys but...I am so excited about gamesalad that I am talking about your software all over my friends and to the professionals I know that work with games here.Because it´s simple, funny and easy to make games...and...of course...you could get rich porting to the apple store.

Thank you for this wonderfull application and I´ll be waiting your replies!

Comments

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I'm not affiliated with the GS guys, and I can't answer all of your questions. These are just guesses or suggestions at best:

1 - Can I create a custom ASCII table (like using the photoshop to make the custom fonts) and then use(load) it on gamesalad?
    I don't know about this. I suppose it could be possible as there's a variety of fonts already available, and adding new ones shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    What I've done in the meantime, is import my font into photoshop, and write out text in that program. Then I save it as a png, and use pixen (free program - google it) to add a background so I can use alpha to show just the text. Then import the image into 'images' in GameSalad and make an actor. Add the image to the actor as its default image.

Don't know on this one - but surely you can use the attributes to mimic the code you've written?

3 - How can I test my game on Iphone/Ipod(is there an emulator?)
    The Game Salad Viewer app for iphone/ipod will be available soon(tm). It's on the roadmap.

4 - How much is the price-tag you are aiming to charge for the ones developing for the apple store?
    I'm interested in this too. I have no idea, but would hope that there are price plans available. For instance, if it cost $20 per game, paying $50 will let you publish 3 games.

5 - if I have a hackintosh-PC to develop using your software would it have any problems?
    Not sure what a hackintosh is ;0

6 - how can I change the shape of the particles on gamesalad?(like to produce smoke,water,light,star,fire,energy effects)
    When you modify a particle, there's a little box in the size and image tab. Drag an image into that to change its shape.

I guess you could put several actors, each generating different particles, over eachother in a scene.

Hope some of that helps.

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    I am affiliated with GS. Since we do not discuss stuff that is not officially released to the public (beta, or otherwise), I will answer only if the current version supports it and fill in the holes that QS couldn't answer.

Sorry, you are limited to the fonts given in the behavior.

No. You'll need to work with the behaviors given.

We are still discussing this, and we will send news of this once we are ready.

As long as it has an Intel processor and Leopard 10.5 or better. Yes.

You could just have multiple particle behaviors in one actor, activating simultaneously.
    You could just have multiple particle behaviors in one actor, activating simultaneously.

See? That's why he's affiliated to GS and I'm not ;)

QS

• JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    QS - Hackintosh is hacking a PC to run Mac OS =)
    Gotcha - thanks :)

• beatragebeatrage Member Posts: 126
    Hey thanks for the answers!

And really think this is a nice price-tag to let us develop for the apple store
    " paying $50 will let you publish 3 games "

It would be Very nice!!

about my hackintosh question:

" As long as it has an Intel processor and Leopard 10.5 or better. Yes."

thanks for the answer!

about the font is a shame but I can deal with it!

greeting from Brazil and thanks for the wonderfull application(GAMESALAD)