48 hour game challenge idea

peachpellenpeachpellen Member Posts: 977
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
Looking for thoughts from developers who might wish to participate, if you've got time any feedback is greatly appreciated!

http://techority.com/2011/01/13/techority-48-hour-challenge/

Comments

• HachikoHachiko Member Posts: 330
    Would love to participate :) 5$ is ok, although I would prefer the money as prize, but maybe that's kinda rude :P
  • peachpellenpeachpellen Member Posts: 977
    I'd considered that as well; I'll have to see how I'm doing it legally as I think I may have to specify an exact winning amount before being able to accept entries, which would be hard without knowing how many people would be participating.

We'll see - it is something I'd like to do in the next month or so though if the interest is there :)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    that's way too taxing for me :) I think I've spent my free time in the past 48 hours making my guy move in a circle perfectly :)

good luck with it though, it sounds like it would be a lot of fun
    Thanks Jon :) I hope so.

Good luck with the circles ;)
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    It is a shame that you partially announced that "challenge idea" here, on GS forums and than narrowed it down to only Corona apps. Don't you think? :)

I was really excited about the idea, and would definitely enter the contest..
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    wow, you've secured an interesting price!
    Carlos and generous ... both end with an s.

Nothing ends with y except code monkey. y is that?

p.s. I wish I could participate but i have not progressed beyond "Hello Worlds" (I added the s because it is my new favourite letter)
    @cbt - I couldn't agree more. It's incredibly disappointing; however I do plan to host something for the GS community (exclusively, no Corona competition) in the future.
    Originally I had hoped to include submissions from all engines, however it just didn't end up being practical - not this time around. I hope you will still enter the GS contest when it takes place :)

@xyloFUN - Carlos is indeed a very generous man. I'm always impressed by him; he is polite and friendly and kind - things I think everyone should be! (Not to imply Code Monkey isn't, sadly I never got the chance to interact with him however, so I wouldn't know - but I'm sure he's a fine fellow too!)

I do have some newbie friendly tutorials up on Techority if you're interested in progressing - although you'll want to be in tip top shape with GS for what that contest rolls around ;)

Peach :)
    peachpellen said:
    @cbt - I couldn't agree more. It's incredibly disappointing; however I do plan to host something for the GS community (exclusively, no Corona competition) in the future.
    Originally I had hoped to include submissions from all engines, however it just didn't end up being practical - not this time around. I hope you will still enter the GS contest when it takes place :)

@xyloFUN - Carlos is indeed a very generous man. I'm always impressed by him; he is polite and friendly and kind - things I think everyone should be! (Not to imply Code Monkey isn't, sadly I never got the chance to interact with him however, so I wouldn't know - but I'm sure he's a fine fellow too!)

I do have some newbie friendly tutorials up on Techority if you're interested in progressing - although you'll want to be in tip top shape with GS for what that contest rolls around ;)

Peach :)

I will definitely enter it, but I definitely won't be this enthusiastic about it.. :(

Because, most probably, the "prize" won't be this good, and the contribution won't be this much.

And for the practical issue, I think it could have been solved. Contributors should have send a final build of the game and a prov.profile for all the judges.

But it is really too late now.. Since the "famous" Carlos is one of the judges, he won't accept any GS submissions even if you do :)
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    @xyloFUN You know what else ends with 'y' ... 'money'. :)

And not to overshadow this competition, the Global Game Jam is coming up. I hope you all are getting ready for that.
    http://globalgamejam.org/
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    CodeMonkey said:
    And not to overshadow this competition, the Global Game Jam is coming up. I hope you all are getting ready for that.
    http://globalgamejam.org/

Considering that I don't know about that competition, it makes it difficult to enter. HA HA. I thought Yodapollo was going to make an announcement about that.

I'm working on a really good game right now, but I have no idea if it's eligible or if this is a competition that I'd want to enter.
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    The global game jam is kind of like Iron Chef, where you are given a topic and you start buiding the game. But prepping would entail making sure you know your tool of choice, your team has the art/sound/programming people needed.
    CodeMonkey said:
    @xyloFUN You know what else ends with 'y' ... 'money'. :)

I should write that in my "Big Book of Things to Remember"!

@PeachPellen,
    // I do have some newbie friendly tutorials up on Techority if you're interested in progressing - although you'll want to be in tip top shape with GS for what that contest rolls around ;) //

What's your homepage URL again? "Hello World" will get me on Apple's "Old & Unworthy" page so I better peak at your tut and see if I can learn how to add and place clickable content on a screen.
    Unfortunately, today is "submission" day (not related to my marriage) so I will by BUSY!
    I just have to finalize the icon for my latest monster and thousands or Germans will be very happy (if apple blesses my baby)!
    @PeachPellen - never mind! I found it :)
    I don't know how I missed the new posts; don't feel great about bumping this but I also feel like not responding would be awful of me.

@CBT - I assure you that the prize will be at least as good as this time around, whatever it takes to make that happen. I love GameSalad, I love GSers and although I favor Corona these days when creating apps I certainly don't think they are more deserving of a community event than those at GameSalad are.

As to judging, Carlos actually volunteered privately before it became a Corona exclusive; that said, when the GS comp comes I would naturally ask someone big and important from here to consider judging :)

The practical issue could not have been solved, to the best of my knowledge, by submissions coming with a provisioning profile; a provisioning profile needs to match certificates in order to work properly and naturally your certificates are only available to you.

@CodeMonkey - I am a fan of the Global Game Jam and am glad you mentioned it; I'm less competition and more a "home brand" alternative, I suppose.

@Xylo - best of luck with your "baby" ;)

Once again, apologies for the bump but I really felt bad and didn't want to leave things unsaid.

TL;DR -
    I assure you that when the time comes the GS version of the competition will be just as good for entrants even if I have to work twice as hard to make it happen. I still love GS and I still love the community.

Peach
    I don't think this topic really "bumps" to the front page, because, I didn't see your post also.. ^^

Well.. I want to say thank you for you being kind and trying to make something happen :)

The bright-side is, you will be an experienced "competition arranger" and we will have way more fun than that robotic corona people!! *shakes fist* :D

I don't actually like competitions, but, I think it would be an amazing thing to compete against GS guys. Everyone..

I can't wait for you to finish your job at "the dark side of the iPhone App Development Tools Universe" and to come back! :D

Thank you again..

P.S: I wonder if Joe from firemaplegames will be contributing.. It would be really interesting..