Sprites and newbies

Ultrax11xUltrax11x Member Posts: 8
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
I think one of the things that might help some of the real game making newbies would be some basic theory on game design. Lots of people are mystified by how the net actually works or how even a simple game is made.

All control freaks listen up!!!: as a newbie game dev you need to be arare that you have to tell the program exactly what you want it to do in order to get it to work the way you want to...., so, if you are a control freak this is a great thing. Sure you have to animate the actors you make so it looks like a real video game, but you also must animate the bullets, muzzle flashes, what happens when you touch/bump into walls or other actors, the list goes on. This is why most games are ctreated by lots of people who specialize in specific aspects of design, coding, testing, etc--- now GS allows you to do it all yourself or work as a team, your choice !!!!!!

I will try my best to create my own reports on this kind of thing.

I find that when a newbie enters into this kind of arena, the advanced people think their 'obvious' questions are stupid and make us newbies feel small.

That's all for now.

Comments

• Ultrax11xUltrax11x Member Posts: 8
    Paper prototypes:

One of the easiest ways to test how your game will work is to do what the GS guys did when they made that cool youtube commercial- Get a pad of paper and draw what you think your basic game should look like, including of the details like: :
    -Exact type of game with goals/rewards at the end of the level/game
    -The range of motion of the actors on the screen
    -What the different levels will look like
    The list goes on.

All of this stuff can be done before you even touch the GS game dev engine.
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    Thanks for your input ultrax11x. We are updating the wiki How-To's with as much information as we can about game theory/design as we can so newbies and advanced people alike can gain insight on their ideas for games.

http://gamesalad.com/wiki/how_tos
  • Ultrax11xUltrax11x Member Posts: 8
    SPRITE SHEET ARE YOUR FRIEND !!!!!!

I have just discovered these cool sheets of pre-made images that can be smoothly animated in GS (some of famous characters).

The hits keep on coming!!!!!!!